Halt Robin Road, DA17

An area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before- in the area buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.48912 0.1545, 51.489 0.154) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Belvedere · DA17 ·
APRIL
1
2021

Halt Robin Road runs east from Upper Park Road.




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT


Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Crescent, DA17 Abbey Crescent was formed out of Upper Abbey Road.
Ambrook Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Beltwood Road, DA17 Beltwood Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Berkhampstead Road, DA17 Berkhampstead Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Brigstock Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Bullbanks Road, DA17 Bullbanks Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Bunkers Hill, DA17 Bunkers Hill is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Calvert Close, DA17 Calvert Close is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Capital Industrial Estate, DA17 Capital Industrial Estate is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Culling Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
David Coffer Court, DA17 David Coffer Court is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Dylan Road, DA17 Dylan Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Edwards Road, DA17 Edwards Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Elbourne Trading Estate, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Elmbourne Drive, DA17 Elmbourne Drive is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Fox House Road, DA17 Fox House Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Fremantle Road, DA17 Fremantle Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Gertrude Road, DA17 Gertrude Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Gideon Close, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Gilbert Road, DA17 Gilbert Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Gladeswood Road, DA17 Gladeswood Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Halt Robin Lane, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Heathdene Drive, DA17 Heathdene Drive is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Keats Road, DA17 Keats Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Kentish Road, DA17 Kentish Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Lower Park Road, DA17 Lower Park Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Lower Road, DA17 Lower Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Lyndon Road, DA17 Lyndon Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Maida Road, DA17 Maida Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mayfield Road, DA17 Mayfield Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Methuen Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Milton Road, DA17 Milton Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mitchell Close, DA17 Mitchell Close is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mitre Court, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Monarch Road, DA17 Monarch Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Mossdown Close, DA17 Mossdown Close is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Nethewode Court, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Orchard Road, DA17 Orchard Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Parkside Road, DA17 Parkside Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Paroma Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Picardy Road, DA17 Picardy Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Picardy Street, DA17 Picardy Street is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Poplar Mount, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Prospect Close, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Railway Place, DA17 Railway Place is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Regent Square, DA17 Regent Square is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Sheridan Road, DA17 Sheridan Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Station Road North, DA17 Station Road North is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Station Road, DA17 Station Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Strickland Road, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode
Thornton Road, DA17 Thornton Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Upper Park Road, DA17 Upper Park Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Upper Sheridan Road, DA17 Upper Sheridan Road is a road in the DA17 postcode area
Venmead Court, DA17 A street within the DA17 postcode


Belvedere

The area which is today known as Belvedere was for centuries part of Lesness Heath, the eastern parts of a narrow high ridge which stretches from the area of Lesnes Abbey to Erith.

The northern stretch is industrial and environmental and was common meadow. In 1847 this largely uncultivated, wooded estate, almost undivided was given by operation of the will of last Lord Saye and Sele to his cousin Sir Culling Eardley, who built properties in Belvedere until his death in 1863.

Eardley constructed a large wooden tower on the heath to gain views over his estate to the river Thames, giving the area its name from the Italian 'beautiful view'. The name can also be applied today, as the ridge of the area, and parts of its southern uplands, have commanding views towards Canary Wharf and Central London.

Until the adoption of the name Belvedere, the area was known as Picardy.

Eardley was persuaded to allow the construction on his property, of a Dissenters' chapel, which was built so that the original wooden belvedere became its tower. In order that the public were able to attend this chapel, he constructed paths to it across Lesness Heath. Eardley had finished in 1861, after nearly 8 years of building, his chapel, now All Saints' Church, after the earlier chapel burned down on the same site. At the same time Eardley constructed Villa Houses and reinforced the heath path to become Erith Road. The village of Belvedere soon grew up along the path which became Nuxley Road as Eardley gradually sold off the land.

Belvedere formed part of the Municipal Borough of Erith before 1965 and development took place before the Second World War, with significant reconstruction after the Blitz. Despite this, Upper Belvedere and The Village still retains much of its Victorian and Edwardian charm and character.

Upper Belvedere features a fine church and some modest brick villas. Lower Belvedere is better known for a Methodist chapel, a football club and a high technology sludge incinerator, which is an unexpected landmark on the south bank of the river Thames. Belvedere railway station, opened in 1859, is in Lower Belvedere and is served by the North Kent Line.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Bexley Road, Belvedere, c. 1900
TUM image id: 1557144405
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Bexley Road, Upper Belvedere, c. 1930
TUM image id: 1557150771
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Bexley Road, Belvedere, c. 1900
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Bexley Road, Upper Belvedere, c. 1930
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Halt Robin Road, Belvedere (1910) The photograph, taken on 5 September 1910, shows the unmade state of the road and the large semi-detached houses typical of the Victorian period.
Old London postcard
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page