The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  BLOG 
18.232.186.117 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Battersea ·
July
6
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.


In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Zulu Mews, SW11
Zulu Mews lies within the curve of a Battersea railway. At time of writing it was the last street alphabetically in London. It arrived as the latest street in Battersea in 2010.

It had been an access road to the back gardens of Rowena Crescent but, London housing pressure being what it is, became filled with ten modern dwellings in a gated development.

The curious name comes about because Rowena Crescent was originally called Zulu Crescent when laid out in 1880. The nearby streets had all been named after 1870s British military victories. Rowena Cresent residents of the 1880s did not take to the name for the road.

When the 2010 developet was built, and needed a name, the original Zulu monicker was given to the new street.



»more

JULY
1
2020

 

Keeley Street, WC2B
Keeley Street has a dual history Little Wild^ Street came into existence around 1690 - there is a deed dated 1 September 1690 which refers to a "toft, peece or parcell of ground, being parcell of the garden late belonging to Weld House in or near Weld Streete … abutting towards the south to a new streete or passage of thirty foote in breadth there made or intended to be made, to lead out of Weld Streete towards Duke Streete and the arch in Great Lincolne’s Inn Fields." (N.b. Duke Street later became Sardinia Street).

There was a matching Great Wild^ Street which it lay off of. Towards the end of its history, the Little Wild Street Baptist Church and a school were notable buildings.

As part of the Aldwych scheme, Keeley Street was built over the top of Little Wild^ Street with its eastern end adjusted to reach Kingsway. All the existing buildings in the original street were demolished, leaving only its route.
»read full article


JUNE
26
2020

 

Lisson Grove, NW1
The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green Lisson Green is described as a hamlet in the Domesday book.

Originally Lisson Grove was part of the medieval manor of Lilestone which stretched north to Hampstead. Lisson Green broke away as a new manor in 1236 and had its own manor house.

’Lissing Green’ becames a recreation area for Londoners. By the 1790s, the Green was a large open space stretching down to Chapel Street and the Old Marylebone Road. Beside it on Lisson Grove, the Lissing Green/Lissom Grove village was part of a network of country lanes, on the east side of Edgware Road. At the southern end of the Green was the Yorkshire Stingo inn from whence stagecoaches set off for all parts.

Earlier, in 1771, Lisson Green was bought by James Stephens and Daniel Bullock, manufacturers of white lead. They set up the White Lead Manufactory next to the Nursery Garden, with unrecorded consequences to health. But until the late 18th century the district remained essentially rural.
»more


JUNE
24
2020

 

Castelnau, SW13
Castelnau was called Upper Bridge Road until 1889 leading as it did to Hammersmith Bridge Castelnau began in 1843 as 20 pairs of classical villas - Castelnau Villas - which were built along the road by Major Charles Lestock Boileau. In 1691, the 10th Baron of Castelnau and St Croix had fled France for England following persecution of the Huguenots. The family settled in north Barnes. Castelnau means ’new castle’ in the Occitan language given its name to Castelnau House which Charles Lestock Boileau built.

The church of Holy Trinity was consecrated in 1868 serving the now 800 residents of the area.

After the sale of the Boileau estate, other streets were laid out. In 1928 the London County Council created the 640 house Castelnau Estate. Streets were named after deans of St Paul’s as the cathedral was formerly owner of the manor of Barnes. In 1971 these passed to ownership of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

During the 1960s, Castelnau House was demolished being replaced by a library.

»read full article


JUNE
23
2020

 

Langthorne Street, SW6
Langthorne Street is final step in the Alphabet Streets of Fulham The ladder of tree-lined streets known as the ’Alphabet Streets’ are located between the Thames and Fulham Palace Road.

The first of the streets is Bishops Avenue which was there before the others were created. There is this no ’A’ street since Fulham Palace already existed south of Bishops Avenue. Incidentally, there is also no ’J’ street.

The streets largely contain large semi-detached period homes.

Langthorne Street was built over the orchard of Mill Shot Farm in around 1902. In 1903 the London Borough of Fulham approved the Allen and Norris partnership to build houses in some of the streets.
»read full article




 

DECEMBER
31
2015

 

Hanger Lane Farm
Hanger Farm stood on St Ann’s Road (then known as Hanger Lane). It was just to the west of Blackboy Lane - around where Chestnuts Primary School is today.

By the 13th Century much of the Parish of Tottenham, including the St Ann’s Road area, was occupied by farmland following the deforestation of areas of the Middlesex Forest. Most of the area was covered by open farmland, owned by a few large estates. Between 1229 and 1264 the Hospital of St Lawrence at Clayhanger was recorded to have occupied a site on Hanger Lane.

By the end of the 18th century most of the woodland within the Parish of Tottenham had been cleared and replaced by pasture and arable farmland. Hanger’s Green had been laid out as a small open space linking Hanger Lane to Black Boy Lane. During the same period a cluster of houses were also developed in the area. Rose Cottage, was on the north side of Hanger Lane and was to become known as Hanger Lane Farm by 1894. St John’s Lodge was built on the southern side of Hanger’s Lane within the site of ...
»more


DECEMBER
26
2015

 

Kensington Park Hotel
The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove. The Kensington Park Hotel (KPH), standing on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Lancaster Road and the pub which Timothy Evans - executed in place of John Christie - was fond of drinking in. It is a traditional public house right on the edge of Portobello Market and Notting Hill with untouched original features and beautiful Victorian décor.

Steeped in history, The KPH was the favoured watering hole of the English politician Oswald Mosely and a place where Tom Jones performed for the huge fee of £10 during the early days of his career.

The KPH Theatre Bar was also home to the Kensington Park Theatre Club in 1986, it reopened in 1988 as the Chair Theatre and then finally changed its name to the Grove Theatre in 1990 which hosted many years of performances.
»read full article


DECEMBER
23
2015

 

Eaves Housing for Women
Eaves Housing for Women (Eaves) was a charitable company based in London. It provided support to vulnerable women, including female victims of domestic violence, sex trafficking or domestic servitude, and campaigned against prostitution. The organisation also conducted research and lobbying.

Eaves was the umbrella organisation for a number of projects including: "The Poppy Project", "The Scarlet Centre", "The Serafina Project" and "The Lilith Project".

The charity closed in October 2015.

Read the Eaves Housing for Women entry on the Wikipedia...
»read full article


DECEMBER
18
2015

 

The Grange
The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century. The Peters family lived in the Grange from 1843 until its demolition.

Thomas Peters was a successful and wealthy coach builder who made coaches for Queen Victoria. The final occupant was Mrs Ada Peters, the widow of his son John Winpenny Peters. Ada died in the house on 5 February 1910.

The Grange was the last of Kilburn’s large houses. Suburban building surrounded the property, leaving the house and its extensive grounds marooned in a sea of small streets and tight terrace housing.

After Ada’s death, the land was parcelled out - much of it became Kilbrun Grange Park.

Meantime the house contents were disposed of in a 50 page catalogue, and the sheer volume of goods meant the auction lasted three days.

On 12 April 1910 more than 300 items of furniture went under the hammer, followed by 600 paintings, clocks and bronzes the next day. Finally there were around 1000 items of less valuable plate, china and...
»more


DECEMBER
16
2015

 

Kilburn Lane Farm
A farm existed in Kilburn Lane until the 1860s, by which time it had been disrupted by the railway line. The name of the farm is as yet unknown as it appears on old mapping without a label.

In the late 1830s, the Hampstead Railway was built across the landscape cutting the farmhouse from some of its land.
»read full article


DECEMBER
10
2015

 

Princess Road, NW6
Princess Road was once known as Alexandra Road. Alexandra Road was laid out about 1860 and aimed at a better class of clientelle.

Quite uniquely in Kilburn, this aim came to pass. By 1871, Alexandra Road saw half of its houses employing servants. This is contrasted with Granville Road, just one street south which became one of the poorest streets of nineteenth century Kilburn Park.

In the late nineteenth century, it was renamed Princess Road.
»read full article


DECEMBER
9
2015

 

Granville Road, NW6
Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road. At the turn of the 1860s, builders laid out Granville Road, then called Pembroke Road in Kilburn Park. Being so close to the Edgware Road, with its good connections to central London, they hoped to attract a higher class of purchaser.

But by 1871 Kilburn was socially mixed - not as high-class as the builders had hoped but still including a few large houses like Kilburn House and streets like Alexandra (later Princess) Road where more than half the houses employed servants.

Commercial travellers, salesmen, and shopkeepers were among the inhabitants. There was still a strong middle-class, mainly professional and commercial, element in the population.

From early on, however, the working classes predominated and contemporaries noted the horrifying conditions in which many of Kilburn’s inhabitants lived. The overall density of 8 persons to a house in 1875 concealed streets like the newly built Pembroke Road in Kilburn Park where each house c...
»more


DECEMBER
6
2015

 

3 Acklam Road
From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family. In the early 1970s the house was taken over by the North Kensington Amenity Trust and became the Notting Hill Carnival office before its eventual demolition.

»read full article


DECEMBER
4
2015

 

Powis Square, W11
Powis Square is a square between Talbot Road and Colville Terrace. The area surrounding All Saints church was sold by Rev Walker in 1860 to the builder George Tippett and consequently became known as Tippett’s Brick Fields. The Powis and Colville squares were built by Tippett in the 1860s as upper-middle class residences, but are said to have gone into an immediate social decline. By the 1880s some were already sub-divided into flats.

Tippett went bankrupt and the estate was acquired by Edward Strutt and Hickman Bacon, who formed the Colville Estate Limited. However, on Charles Booth’s 1900s poverty map the Colville squares are still solidly well-to-do orange. The ward on the whole is a pretty even mix of wealthy, well-to-do, fairly comfortable, poverty and comfort mixed, moderate poverty and very poor.

Powis Square’s multicultural reputation was established at the turn of the 20th century by ’the Wren College’ for the Indian civil service, and the accompanying boarding houses ’occupied by men of Oriental bi...
»more


DECEMBER
2
2015

 

Political meeting (1920s)
Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met. The banners include the National League of the Blind, the North Kensington Branch of the Street Traders Union, and the Union of General Workers Kensal Green.

Portobello market became official with licensed stalls and market inspectors in 1927. John Recordon recalled in ‘Going Down the Lane’: “There was a lot of political activity around Portobello market in the 20s and 30s, I was a Young Communist. Most of the meetings were on bread and butter issues, unemployment and the atrocious housing conditions. They were good humoured, though there was a lot of heckling. The costermongers tended to object. Our meetings didn’t interfere with their trade, it was more their politics – they were strongly patriotic Tory.”

In the 1970s the Junction pub at 92 Tavistock Road became the Point Community Action Centre, thus described in Tony Allen’s Corrugated Times: ’First it was a pub, the Junction Arms, then a Labour Exchange, then a clinic, then it was t...
»more


DECEMBER
1
2015

 

White Lion
The White Lion dates from 1700 or even earlier. The original name for the White Lion was The Dirt House. In 1712 a toolbooth was set up outside to pay for improvements to the High Road.

’Street manure’ (effluent from the streets and cesspits of London) was brought to Finchley to be used on the hay fields. The carters of the manure did not want to pay the extra cost of the toll so stopped at the inn. They would then return to London with hay.

By the 1830s railways made the High Road less important. The toll ceased in 1862 and the tollgate was removed in 1903.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page