The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  BLOG 
18.232.186.117 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Battersea ·
July
6
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.


In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Zulu Mews, SW11
Zulu Mews lies within the curve of a Battersea railway. At time of writing it was the last street alphabetically in London. It arrived as the latest street in Battersea in 2010.

It had been an access road to the back gardens of Rowena Crescent but, London housing pressure being what it is, became filled with ten modern dwellings in a gated development.

The curious name comes about because Rowena Crescent was originally called Zulu Crescent when laid out in 1880. The nearby streets had all been named after 1870s British military victories. Rowena Cresent residents of the 1880s did not take to the name for the road.

When the 2010 developet was built, and needed a name, the original Zulu monicker was given to the new street.



»more

JULY
1
2020

 

Keeley Street, WC2B
Keeley Street has a dual history Little Wild^ Street came into existence around 1690 - there is a deed dated 1 September 1690 which refers to a "toft, peece or parcell of ground, being parcell of the garden late belonging to Weld House in or near Weld Streete … abutting towards the south to a new streete or passage of thirty foote in breadth there made or intended to be made, to lead out of Weld Streete towards Duke Streete and the arch in Great Lincolne’s Inn Fields." (N.b. Duke Street later became Sardinia Street).

There was a matching Great Wild^ Street which it lay off of. Towards the end of its history, the Little Wild Street Baptist Church and a school were notable buildings.

As part of the Aldwych scheme, Keeley Street was built over the top of Little Wild^ Street with its eastern end adjusted to reach Kingsway. All the existing buildings in the original street were demolished, leaving only its route.
»read full article


JUNE
26
2020

 

Lisson Grove, NW1
The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green Lisson Green is described as a hamlet in the Domesday book.

Originally Lisson Grove was part of the medieval manor of Lilestone which stretched north to Hampstead. Lisson Green broke away as a new manor in 1236 and had its own manor house.

’Lissing Green’ becames a recreation area for Londoners. By the 1790s, the Green was a large open space stretching down to Chapel Street and the Old Marylebone Road. Beside it on Lisson Grove, the Lissing Green/Lissom Grove village was part of a network of country lanes, on the east side of Edgware Road. At the southern end of the Green was the Yorkshire Stingo inn from whence stagecoaches set off for all parts.

Earlier, in 1771, Lisson Green was bought by James Stephens and Daniel Bullock, manufacturers of white lead. They set up the White Lead Manufactory next to the Nursery Garden, with unrecorded consequences to health. But until the late 18th century the district remained essentially rural.
»more


JUNE
24
2020

 

Castelnau, SW13
Castelnau was called Upper Bridge Road until 1889 leading as it did to Hammersmith Bridge Castelnau began in 1843 as 20 pairs of classical villas - Castelnau Villas - which were built along the road by Major Charles Lestock Boileau. In 1691, the 10th Baron of Castelnau and St Croix had fled France for England following persecution of the Huguenots. The family settled in north Barnes. Castelnau means ’new castle’ in the Occitan language given its name to Castelnau House which Charles Lestock Boileau built.

The church of Holy Trinity was consecrated in 1868 serving the now 800 residents of the area.

After the sale of the Boileau estate, other streets were laid out. In 1928 the London County Council created the 640 house Castelnau Estate. Streets were named after deans of St Paul’s as the cathedral was formerly owner of the manor of Barnes. In 1971 these passed to ownership of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

During the 1960s, Castelnau House was demolished being replaced by a library.

»read full article


JUNE
23
2020

 

Langthorne Street, SW6
Langthorne Street is final step in the Alphabet Streets of Fulham The ladder of tree-lined streets known as the ’Alphabet Streets’ are located between the Thames and Fulham Palace Road.

The first of the streets is Bishops Avenue which was there before the others were created. There is this no ’A’ street since Fulham Palace already existed south of Bishops Avenue. Incidentally, there is also no ’J’ street.

The streets largely contain large semi-detached period homes.

Langthorne Street was built over the orchard of Mill Shot Farm in around 1902. In 1903 the London Borough of Fulham approved the Allen and Norris partnership to build houses in some of the streets.
»read full article




 

AUGUST
29
2016

 

Arundel Gardens, W11
Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. By the 1850s, the Ladbroke family was beginning to sell off freehold parcels of undeveloped land, one of which consisted of the land between the south side of Arundel Gardens and the north side of Ladbroke Gardens.

This was acquired in 1852 by Richard Roy, a solicitor who had already been involved in building speculation in Cheltenham. He appears to have done nothing with the Arundel Gardens part of his land until 1862-3, when building leases were granted for the houses on the south side (numbers 1-47). Around the same time, leases were granted to three other builders to build houses on the north side (Edwin Ware for Nos. 2-14). The survey done by the Ordnance Survey in 1863 shows that the south side was complete by then, but only a few houses had been built on the north side, at the Kensington Park Road end. Building clearly proceeded apace, however, as an 1865 plan, done when the street was given its current name and numbers (it was originally called Lansdowne Road T...
»more


AUGUST
28
2016

 

Polish Social and Cultural Association
The Polski Ośrodek Społeczno-Kulturalny (POSK) is the Polish Social and Cultural Association in London. It was founded and funded in 1967 at 238-246 King Street, Hammersmith where Poles who had escaped the occupation of their country congregated in west London.

POSK promotes Polish culture and art. It houses the Library of Poland in London, which was founded in 1942, exhibitions, film screenings, theatre performances and a regular jazz club. There is also a Polish cafe and a restaurant.
»read full article


AUGUST
27
2016

 

Anchor Terrace, SE1
The streetscape of Anchor Terrace largely involves small late 18th century residential properties
»read full article


AUGUST
26
2016

 

Boreham Wood Baptist Church
The Baptist Church, situated on the corner of Furzehill Road, opened on 14 July 1911. The first baptist chapel was in Station Road, (formerly Gas Works Lane), built by members in memory of Mrs Godfrey, The small chapel was converted into a cinema and called The Little Gem and then became a public toilet and later a flower shop.

The Baptist Church was demolished to make way for Furzehill Parade.
»read full article


AUGUST
26
2016

 

68 Shenley Road, WD6
68 Shenley Road was a shop on the corner of Furzehill Road - now disappeared. Later split into three separate shops, Buckingham House covered the present addresses 60-62 Shenley Road and the now demolished number 64. Buckingham House was the name that Richard Lidstone, a drapers, called his new shop which occupied the plot and went up soon after the turn of the twentieth century.

After the Second World War, George Lilley’s was occupying the corner plot of 64 Shenley Road - 62 and 60 had split off into other premises. Lilley’s was an electrical shop which by the 1950s was selling and repairing televisions.

In 1958, the entire block of buildings along Shenley Road between Furzehill Road and Drayton Road was demolished and replaced.

Lilleys was on the corner of Furzehill then Kilbys grocers shop, Co op shoe shop then some cottages, Misses Byers sweet shop with the big tree in front amongst the cottages, Hunts Butchers shop and then Drayton Road.
»read full article


AUGUST
25
2016

 

Brent Lodge
Brent Lodge was built on land which had been part of ’Warren’s Gift’, a charitable estate, sometime between 1817 and 1824. It was a substantial property whose grounds were considerably reduced.

Nearby at Elm Park, west of Nether Street, where building had started in 1882, land was offered in 1900 for good-class villas which were said to be in great demand. By 1908 housing was continuous up to Brent Lodge, which was offered with 26 acres for immediate building.

The Finchley Co-Partnership Society was then formed to lay out a garden village like Hampstead Garden Suburb for the ’less wealthy middle classes’. In 1910 it decided to preserve Brent Lodge and to develop the 24 acres estate on a co-operative system.

The house was demolished in 1962 despite efforts by the comedian Spike Milligan.
»read full article


AUGUST
24
2016

 

Vauxhall Gardens
Vauxhall Gardens was a pleasure garden, one of the leading venues for public entertainment from the mid 17th century to the mid 19th century. Originally known as New Spring Gardens, the site was believed to have opened before the Restoration of 1660 with the first mention being made by Samuel Pepys in 1662.

The Gardens consisted of several acres of trees and shrubs with attractive walks. Initially, entrance was free with food and drink being sold to support the venture.

The site became Vauxhall Gardens in 1785 and admission was charged to gain its many attractions. The Gardens drew all manner of men and supported enormous crowds, with its paths being noted for romantic assignations. Tightrope walkers, hot air balloon ascents, concerts and fireworks provided amusement. The rococo Turkish tent became one of the Gardens' structures, the interior of the Rotunda became one of Vauxhall's most viewed attractions, and the chinoiserie style was a feature of several buildings.

Enormous crowds could be accommodated. In 1749 a rehearsal of Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks attra...
»more


AUGUST
14
2016

 

Myddelton Park, N20
Myddelton Park was built by John Miles before 1882 when he erected All Saints’ Church and vicarage nearby. Extended south along the line of an existing footpath in 1903, Friern Barnet Lane and Oakleigh Road were linked only after this by Myddelton Park.
»read full article


AUGUST
9
2016

 

Newmarket Farm
Newmarket Farm existed until 1855. 47 acres of Newmarket Farm were sold to St Marylebone Burial Board. The cemetery, designed by Barnett and Birch, opened in 1855. The Crematorium was not built until 1937.

To the east of Newmarket Farm, a field provided a cricket ground.

Opposite the cemetery from 1864 was the Convent of the Good Shepherd. In 1873 it became either a reformatory for former female prisoners
or a Magdalene asylum for fallen women. Following a fire in the 1970s most of the buildings were demolished and replaced by Bishop Douglass
School and the Thomas More estate.
»read full article


AUGUST
8
2016

 

Boscobel Street, NW8
Boscobel Street is named after a nearby pub called the Royal Oak. Boscobel House, Staffordshire and its Royal Oak tree became famous as hiding places of King Charles II after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651.

Charles’s adventure is commemorated by over 500 pubs named the Royal Oak.

The nearby Royal Oak was situated at 2 Princes Road. This pub was present from c.1830 and was demolished in 1898 to make way for the Marylebone Goods Yard, which is now the site of the Lisson Estate.

Boscobel Street was originally named Princes Street but inherited a new moniker in a mass London-wide street renaming where duplicate names were replaced.
»read full article


AUGUST
7
2016

 

Deacons Hill Road, WD6
Deacons Hill Road is a road connecting Barnet Lane and Allum Lane. Deacons Hill Road was created in the 19th century by the owner of Deacons Hill House in Barnet Lane, George Monck Gibbs, to provide easier access to the railway station which was opened in 1868. He would often be seen driving a pony and trap. Deacons Hill House is now the site of Deacons Heights.

After Monck’s death, the local council purchased the road in 1898 and called it New Road. It became Deacons Hill Road in the 1920s.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Deacons Hill was a wealthy area and many people associated with the film industry lived here. The most famous of these was the film producer Herbert Wilcox and the actress Anna Neagle. They helped style Boreham Wood as the British Hollywood.


»read full article


AUGUST
3
2016

 

Portobello Green
Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens. From the 1860s to the 1960s this area was occupied by 5 houses along Portobello Road from the railway embankment, numbers 277 to 287, and two round the corner on the south side of Cambridge Gardens before the entrance to Thorpe Mews. 281 Portobello Road (now the address of the Portobello Green arcade) was AJ Symons confectioner and tobacconist in the 1920s.

Anne McSweeney, who lived across the road in the early 1960s, recalls before the Westway, ‘at the junction with Cambridge Gardens was a bakers shop, where I would be dispatched to get a Farmhouse or Short Tin loaf, and there was a small newsagent shop in Portobello Road on the Cambridge Gardens side just before the railway bridge. It was called Little’s and I was told that it was run by a boxer called Tommy Little. Keep walking down the lane on the same side opposite where all the stalls are, there was a pie and mash shop where I would take a large pudding basin and they would put the pies and mash in it.’»more


AUGUST
2
2016

 

Tavistock Road, W11
Tavistock Road is a street in Notting Hill. Tavistock Road was developed in the late 1860s alongside the Hammersmith and City railway line from Westbourne Park station, originally as Tavistock Terrace. On the 1900s Charles Booth map, Tavistock Road is described as comfortable mixed/fairly comfortable.

The 1968 Notting Hill Fair/Carnival concluded at the London Free School ’shanty town’ adventure playground between Tavistock Crescent and Tavistock Road, with an ’open air dance’ featuring the mod band the Action, Ginger Johnson, Pure Medicine and a steel band.

The St Luke’s Road corner of Tavistock Road hosted the Metro Youth Club, the scene of Alton Ellis and Aswad gigs and various police incidents in the 1970s.

During the 1976 Carnival Tavistock Road became the riot frontline between the police and youths. The junction with Portobello also appears in the car chase in ’The Squeeze’ film, starring Stacy Keach and Freddie Starr.

The Tavistock junction with...
»more


AUGUST
1
2016

 

Holland Street, SE1
Today’s Holland Street was originally part of a street called Gravel Lane. George Cunningham in his survey of London’s streets, buildings and monuments gave an explanation for the name Holland Street, saying that is was the “location of the old moated Manor House of Paris Garden, subsequently notorious under the name of Holland’s Leaguer, from Holland, a procuress (an early name for a “woman who procures prostitutes”), who occupied it in Charles I’s time. The old Manor House was a favourite resort of James I and his Court, George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham and the nobility generally.”

Holland was Sarah Holland who in 1631 had been charged as an “incontinent women” and imprisoned in Newgate. The Manor House was very suitable for her needs as she said it was “near the theatres and baiting rings, with their wild beasts and gladiators”.

Holland Street’s name became applied to Hopton Street as well before the latter was renamed after the almshouses which lay along it.
»read full article


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page