The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  BLOG 
18.232.186.117 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Battersea ·
July
6
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.


In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Zulu Mews, SW11
Zulu Mews lies within the curve of a Battersea railway. At time of writing it was the last street alphabetically in London. It arrived as the latest street in Battersea in 2010.

It had been an access road to the back gardens of Rowena Crescent but, London housing pressure being what it is, became filled with ten modern dwellings in a gated development.

The curious name comes about because Rowena Crescent was originally called Zulu Crescent when laid out in 1880. The nearby streets had all been named after 1870s British military victories. Rowena Cresent residents of the 1880s did not take to the name for the road.

When the 2010 developet was built, and needed a name, the original Zulu monicker was given to the new street.



»more

JULY
1
2020

 

Keeley Street, WC2B
Keeley Street has a dual history Little Wild^ Street came into existence around 1690 - there is a deed dated 1 September 1690 which refers to a "toft, peece or parcell of ground, being parcell of the garden late belonging to Weld House in or near Weld Streete … abutting towards the south to a new streete or passage of thirty foote in breadth there made or intended to be made, to lead out of Weld Streete towards Duke Streete and the arch in Great Lincolne’s Inn Fields." (N.b. Duke Street later became Sardinia Street).

There was a matching Great Wild^ Street which it lay off of. Towards the end of its history, the Little Wild Street Baptist Church and a school were notable buildings.

As part of the Aldwych scheme, Keeley Street was built over the top of Little Wild^ Street with its eastern end adjusted to reach Kingsway. All the existing buildings in the original street were demolished, leaving only its route.
»read full article


JUNE
26
2020

 

Lisson Grove, NW1
The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green Lisson Green is described as a hamlet in the Domesday book.

Originally Lisson Grove was part of the medieval manor of Lilestone which stretched north to Hampstead. Lisson Green broke away as a new manor in 1236 and had its own manor house.

’Lissing Green’ becames a recreation area for Londoners. By the 1790s, the Green was a large open space stretching down to Chapel Street and the Old Marylebone Road. Beside it on Lisson Grove, the Lissing Green/Lissom Grove village was part of a network of country lanes, on the east side of Edgware Road. At the southern end of the Green was the Yorkshire Stingo inn from whence stagecoaches set off for all parts.

Earlier, in 1771, Lisson Green was bought by James Stephens and Daniel Bullock, manufacturers of white lead. They set up the White Lead Manufactory next to the Nursery Garden, with unrecorded consequences to health. But until the late 18th century the district remained essentially rural.
»more


JUNE
24
2020

 

Castelnau, SW13
Castelnau was called Upper Bridge Road until 1889 leading as it did to Hammersmith Bridge Castelnau began in 1843 as 20 pairs of classical villas - Castelnau Villas - which were built along the road by Major Charles Lestock Boileau. In 1691, the 10th Baron of Castelnau and St Croix had fled France for England following persecution of the Huguenots. The family settled in north Barnes. Castelnau means ’new castle’ in the Occitan language given its name to Castelnau House which Charles Lestock Boileau built.

The church of Holy Trinity was consecrated in 1868 serving the now 800 residents of the area.

After the sale of the Boileau estate, other streets were laid out. In 1928 the London County Council created the 640 house Castelnau Estate. Streets were named after deans of St Paul’s as the cathedral was formerly owner of the manor of Barnes. In 1971 these passed to ownership of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

During the 1960s, Castelnau House was demolished being replaced by a library.

»read full article


JUNE
23
2020

 

Langthorne Street, SW6
Langthorne Street is final step in the Alphabet Streets of Fulham The ladder of tree-lined streets known as the ’Alphabet Streets’ are located between the Thames and Fulham Palace Road.

The first of the streets is Bishops Avenue which was there before the others were created. There is this no ’A’ street since Fulham Palace already existed south of Bishops Avenue. Incidentally, there is also no ’J’ street.

The streets largely contain large semi-detached period homes.

Langthorne Street was built over the orchard of Mill Shot Farm in around 1902. In 1903 the London Borough of Fulham approved the Allen and Norris partnership to build houses in some of the streets.
»read full article




 

FEBRUARY
29
2020

 

Summerhill Road, N15
Summerhill Road runs from Philip Lane to West Green Road. The earliest map of Tottenham came out in 1619 and had the land mapped out in to plots. The biggest landowner marked upon it was a Mrs Candler.

The piece of land on which Summerhill Road now stands was marked as ’Redlands’, an orchard and owned by a Mr Lack. The surrounding roads were Blackhope Lane (now West Green Road) and Philip Lane.

Blackhope Lane was renamed Blackthorn Lane at the turn of the nineteenth century. On a contemprary map, a factory covered some of the site of the future Summerhill Road and Clyde Road but mostly it was meadowland hereabouts.

By the 1850s, both Summerhill Road and Janson’s Road had been constructed on 36 acres of meadow between Philip Lane and West Green Road. The first terraces of Summerhill Road were built in 1856 and 1859. Nearby Bathurst Road (now Lawrence Road) had a floor cloth factory at the same time.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
28
2020

 

Coombe
Coombe is a historic neighbourhood in the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames. Coombe appears in Domesday Book as ’Cumbe’ and centres on what was the now-demolihed Coombe House which dated from the 1750s.

In 1215 King John gave the estate of Coombe to Hugh de Nevill, and the area became known as Coombe Nevill by 1260. The estate was located at the intersection of the current George Road and Warren Road. The present-day cul-de-sac known as Coombe Neville is in the same location.

In the early 1700s a public house known as the Fox and Coney was established at the intersection of George Road and Kingston Hill. It was rebuilt in 1728 and renamed the George and Dragon. It 1985 it became the Kingston Lodge Hotel.

By 1761 Coombe was owned by John Spencer, 1st Earl Spencer.

At the time of the 1865 Ordnance Survey, the area west of Warren Road was countryside.

By 1911 two golf courses were here: Coombe Wood and Coombe Hill.

Coombe is now a prestigious residential location.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
27
2020

 

Richmond Road, SW20
Richmond Road - now part of Raynes Park - was one of first roads laid out on the Cottenham Park estate. In 1831, the local estate was bought by Charles Pepys, the Earl of Cottenham and later Chancellor. He died in 1851 and the estate was broken up. Most of it was laid out with roads, one of which was Richmond Road. Development of the area was slow until after 1891 when Worple Road was extended to Raynes Park station.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
26
2020

 

Argyll Street, W1F
Argyll Street was named after John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll, owner of the land in the 18th century. Sixty acres in the parish of St Martin in the Fields were granted in January 1560 by Queen Elizabeth to William Dodington. In 1622, Richard Wilson sold some 35 acres of them to William Maddox, a merchant taylor of London.

Maddox’s estate comprised 11½ acres called Millfield. Millfield, which took its name from Tyburn Mill, was on ’the east side of the highway from Charing Cross’ (i.e. Swallow Street).

The western portion of Millfield was bisected by a footpath leading from the north-west corner of the field to the gate on the north side of Six Acre Close. This footpath later became Kingly Street. Benjamin Maddox’s lease of Millfield to James Kendrick in 1670 marked the beginning of building development. Kendrick sub-let the ground to various tenants who began to build. At the end of the seventeenth century, Abraham Bridle and John James had a sub-lease of land fronting Tyburn Road, where they started building. Bridle gave his name to a passage o...
»more


FEBRUARY
25
2020

 

Cottenham Park
Cottenham Park is a district in the London Borough of Merton named after the 1st Earl of Cottenham (1781–1851), who served as Lord Chancellor. Prospect Place was a grand mansion on Copse Hill. Its estate was created just after 1800 by James Meyrick when he bought Prospect Place and added to it all of the land between Copse Hill and Coombe Lane. The grounds was landscaped by Humphrey Repton and a model farm built. In 1831 the estate was bought by Charles Pepys. When he died in 1851, Prospect Place was broken up - 40 acres were acquired by St George’s Hospital.

Developers bought most of the rest of the estate in 1851 after the death of Charles Pepys, now entitled 1st Earl of Cottenham.

New roads were laid out and given aristocratic names that had associations with the estate.

Few building plots were bought before the 1890s, except those along Copse Hill and Richmond Road.

Development of the area did not get underway in earnest until after 1891 with the extension of Worple Road to Raynes Park and the coming of the trams in 1907. By the start of the First World...
»more


FEBRUARY
24
2020

 

Mcleod Road, SE2
Mcleod Road is part of the Bostal Estate. The Bostal Estate was developed from 1900 onwards by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS).

Alexander McLeod, (1832-1902) was the first secretary of the Society which had been set up in 1868 by the Royal Arsenal munitions works at Woolwich.

In 1903 a statue of Alexander McLeod was added to the RACS building in Woolwich.

The first brick of the Bostal Estate was laid on 28 May 1900. A tablet to commemorate the occassion was erected at the corner of the new Mcleod Road and Bostall Lane. When the RACS Abbey Wood CoOp was built on the spot some time later, the tablet was moved and fixed to the wall facing Bostall Lane.

»read full article


FEBRUARY
23
2020

 

Bostall Farm
Bostall Farm was a smallholding to the east of Plumstead. . At its quarterly general meeting in 1886, the committee of the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society was given the go-ahead to purchase the 52 acre Bostall Farm and bought it for £6200, the following year. The neighbouring 122½ acre Suffolk (Place) Farm followed in 1899.

Three old cottages were pulled down at Bostall Farm, a new cottage was erected and the existing cowsheds were converted into piggeries. Two greenhouses were built for the production of cucumbers and tomatoes, The farm started to provide vegetables for the Co-op shops.

By 1899 Plumstead was expanding and development was moving in the direction of Bostall Heath. Land values rose sharply.

By late 1900, the building of the Bostall Estate had begun.

The part of Bostall Farm which lay over the future Bostall Gardens was left as unused farmland with farm buildings and a thatched tithe barn. In 1938 the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich bought the barn and the ground s...
»more


FEBRUARY
22
2020

 

Maze Hill, SE10
Maze Hill is believed to have taken its name from Sir Algernon May. Sir Algernon May lived nearby until 1693. Another May - Robert May - lived here in 1683. ’Moys Hill’ is marked on Rocque’s 1745 map. By the time of Greenwood’s 1827 map, it is ’Maize Hill’. It had settled to ’Maze Hill’ on Bacon’s map of 1888.

It is unknown when the road came into existence although the east side of the line of the road was the location for gravel extraction until the 1650s. After the gravel was fully extracted, the land started to become the site for the ’homes of gentlemen, scholars and naval officers’. (Hidden London)

The southern end of Maze Hill is adjacent to an area marked on Rocque’s 1745 map as ’Vanbrugh Fields’ named after Sir John Vanbrugh (1719-1726) who lived here. Vanbrugh Castle was built around 1720 at the junction of the current Maze Hill and Westcombe Park Road.

Former slave and abolitionist campaigner Olaudah Equiano lived briefly at 111 Maze Hill.

The John...
»more


FEBRUARY
21
2020

 

Barking Riverside
Barking Riverside is a ’brownfield’ development being partly built on land once occupied by Barking Power Station, with planning permission for 10 800 homes. Barking Power Station had closed in 1981 - prior to being drained for the power station, it was tidal marshland. In the early 1990s, the UK Department of Environment sought brownfield sites in the area for development.

Bellway Homes constructed 900 houses on the site between 1995 and 2000. Barking Riverside Ltd provided infrastructure such as roads, utilities and community facilities.

It was announced in 2014 that the London Overground Gospel Oak to Barking Line would be extended to Barking Riverside to allow the development to be completed as planned. The new station was planned to open in 2021. The first new homes were occupied in 2012.

In 2016, the housing association L&Q bought Bellway’s 51% stake in the scheme. The same year, L&Q entered into a joint venture with the Greater London Authority to deliver the remaining new homes. There would be three neighbourhood centres when complete, with a population of approximately 26 000.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
20
2020

 

24 Cloth Fair (1890)
The Old Dick Whittington public house at 24 Cloth Fair viewed from Middle Street. The building was a 16th century timber framed house. It first became a beerhouse in 1848, although later erroneuosly claimed to be the oldest licensed premises in London.

This pub was acquired by the Corporation of London in 1916 and subsequently demolished.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
19
2020

 

Scrattons Eco Park
Scrattons Eco Park is a small nature reserve in the Dagenham area. The park is owned and managed by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham.

The area had previously been allotments which had by the late 1990s had become overgrown and inaccessible.

It was decided to convert them into an ecological park and now has blocks of bramble with grass paths, preserving existing trees and shrubs.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
18
2020

 

Hornchurch
Hornchurch is a suburban area in the London Borough of Havering. Historically it formed a large ancient parish in the county of Essex that became the manor and liberty of Havering.

The earliest recorded use was in 1222 as Hornechurch - ’church with horn-like gables’. A horned bull’s head mounted on the eastern end of St Andrew’s Church dates from the 18th century.

During both world wars, nearby Hornchurch Airfield was an important RAF station, home to a number of Spitfire squadrons during the early 1940s. The land has since been reused for a large housing development.

Like many London suburbs, Hornchurch had been entirely rural until the arrival of the railway which spurred property development during the early 1900s. Development was fuelled further by the arrival of the District line during the 1930s.

Hornchurch station was originally opened in 1885 as part of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The station was completely rebuilt in 1932 as an additional pair of platforms we...
»more


FEBRUARY
17
2020

 

Black Prince Road, SE11
Black Prince Road’s origin is derived from Edward of Woodstock (Edward the Black Prince) who lived in Lambeth during the 1300. As the eldest son of Edward III, the Black Prince’s presence in the area resulted in much of the freehold land in Lambeth to remain under Royal ownership. This is true even today.

Edward seems neither to have been particularly cruel by the standards of his time nor to have worn black armour.

Edward of Woodstock’s main residence near London was a manor house at the Kennington end of what is now Black Prince Road. Edward celebrated his victory over the French at Poitiers in 1356 by tearing down the Kennington house to build a palace near Kennington Cross (the triangle formed by Kennington Lane, Sancroft Street and Cardigan Street).

In 1531, King Henry VIII ordered much of Kennington Palace to be dismantled and taken across the Thames to Westminster for the building of a new royal palace of Whitehall. The track along which the Kennington Palace masonry was carted to the river was known as Lambeth Butts.

Lambeth Butts was di...
»more


FEBRUARY
16
2020

 

Conlan Street, W10
Conlan Street is one of the newer roads of Kensal Town. The street was not originally part of the plan of Kensal New Town - being driven through from East Row to Middle Row in the 1870s.

Conlan Street was the site, from 1910 onwards, of the Middle Row bus garage. This closed in 1981 and the space was taken over by the Buspace Studios which is the location of some industrial units and high end retailers.

The former Kensal Town Telegraph Works also comprises a collection of studio and workshop units.

The White Knight Laundry moved here from Kilburn in 1920.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
15
2020

 

Arnos Grove
Arnos Grove is an area within the London Borough of Enfield. It was originally a medieval estate of the Arnold family in Middlesex. Its natural grove, much larger than today, was for many centuries the largest woodland in the chapelry of Southgate. It became associated with Arnolds (Arnos) Park when its owner was permitted to enclose much of its area from common land to create the former park.

The modern district of Arnos Grove is centred on the western end of Bowes Road. The Arnos Grove estate was centred on the modern Morton Crescent.

Arnos Grove station opened on 19 September 1932 as the terminus on the first section of the Piccadilly line extension from Finsbury Park to Cockfosters. Services were further extended northward on 13 March 1933. The station was designed by architect Charles Holden, and has been described as a significant work of modern architecture. It is Grade II listed.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
14
2020

 

Central Drive, RM12
Central Drive was built pre-war on the lands of Hacton Farm. Hornchurch council built 548 homes just before and some just after the Second World War. Many of the roads on what is called the Hacton Lane Estate are named after racecourses.

The estate is a grid of 1930s semis of which Central Drive was designed to be the core. The River Ingrebourne is the dividing line between suburbia and a remnant of Hornchurch countryside.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
13
2020

 

Fountains Abbey
The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals. The name of the pub comes from two different sources; ’Fountains’ from the nearby sites of springs and wells, which were essential sources of water to the local inhabitants; and ’Abbey’ which comes from Westminster Abbey, and which owned the manor of Paddington in Saxon times.

It was rebuilt in 1895 and later Sir Alexander Fleming was reputedly a regular customer at the pub.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
12
2020

 

Praed Street, W2
Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Praed Street was laid out in 1828 being built up from the Edgware Road end. Leases for the first houses were granted in 1826.

There were already shops in Praed Street before it came to form the chief approach to Paddington station. The original station opened on 4 June 1838 on a site to the west of what is now Bishop’s Bridge Road. It was not until May 1854 that the station was fully operational in its current location.

St Mary’s Hospital was founded in 1845 on Praed Street as a voluntary hospital for ’the deserving sick poor’ and opened the Medical School in 1854. Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin there.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
11
2020

 

Haarlem Road, W6
Haarlem Road runs from Dunsany Road to Augustine Road in West Kensington, It is unknown how it received its Dutch name. Haarlem is a city in the Netherlands and the capital of the province of North Holland.

During the Dutch Golden Age, many artists and craftsmen migrated to Haarlem. Artists like Frans Hals, Jacob van Ruisdael, Lieven de Key and Jan Steen went to live there.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
10
2020

 

Bow Road
Bow Road is an Underground station located on Bow Road and on the District and Hammersmith & City lines. The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway - later incorporated into the District line.

Ownership of the station passed to London Underground in 1950.

The station building has been Grade II listed since 27 September 1973.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
9
2020

 

Bow Road, E3
Bow Road, part of the A11, runs between Mile End and Bow. To the west the road becomes Mile End Road, and to the east is Bow Interchange on the A12.

Both Bow Church and the College of Technology London became located here as is Bow Road underground station and Bow Church DLR station.

Bow started to develop in the 14th century, a small village that was very prone to flooding from the river Lea. This flooding also meant that locals couldn’t always get to the closest church in Stepney. In the early 1300s, Edward III gave permission for a chapel to be built on the road over the bridge.

Bow Church was hit by one of the last bombs dropped by the Germans in the Second World War. The damage to parts of the church weren’t fully restored until the 1950s.

The Electric House carries a memorial clock to Minnie Lansbury, whose father in law George Lansbury also lived on Bow Road

»read full article


FEBRUARY
8
2020

 

Fawood Avenue, NW10
Fawood Avenue is one of London’s more eccentric namings. F.A. Wood lived at ’Hurworth’ (now called Sankofa House) in Morland Gardens. Wood was Chairman of Willesden Local Board (the then Council for the area) for much of the 1880s. He did a lot for the local area - he was an important local historian, whose collection is now available to see and use at the Brent Archives.

Later in a 1970s redevelopment, Fawood Avenue was created from his initials and surname.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
7
2020

 

Ruislip Manor
The construction of a halt on the Metropolitan Railway in the area in 1912 led to the development of Ruislip Manor on what was rural land. A developer called George Ball purchased 186 acres to the south of the railway line from the owners, King’s College, with construction of a new estate taking place between 1933 and 1939.

Ball hoped the new housing would be available to the working man who wished to purchase his own home. The original plan under the Manor Homes name had been for 2,322 homes which Ball agreed would not number more than 14 per acre.

The total number of houses was gradually reduced by 50 in 1934, then a further 35 in 1935, to allow the inclusion of Lady Bankes Primary School, St. Paul’s Church and the Black Bull public house.

The Metropolitan Railway (Harrow and Uxbridge Railway) had constructed the line through Ruislip Manor between Harrow on the Hill and Uxbridge and commenced services in 1904 with, initially, the only intermediate stop being at Ruislip. At first, services were operated by steam trains, but track electrification was completed in ...
»more


FEBRUARY
6
2020

 

Bear Gardens, SE1
Bear Gardens is the site of a medieval pleasure ground. Bear Gardens lay on the south side of the River Thames, west of Southwark Bridge. It included part of Bankside, buildings on the east side of New Globe Walk, the north side of Park Street, the west side of Rose Alley and the street of Bear Gardens itself.

The street pattern of the area still recognisably derives from its medieval and post-medieval development, with narrow lanes and alleys and densely-packed buildings lining the river.

Bear Gardens is one of these alleys and widens in the approximate location of the last bear baiting ring.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
5
2020

 

Blackmoor Street, WC2B
Blackmoor Street was in the Drury Lane slum. The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are n...
»more


FEBRUARY
4
2020

 

Earnshaw Street, WC2H
Earnshaw Street was at first called Arthur Street. Earnshaw Street runs south from New Oxford Street and was built as a result of, the construction of New Oxford Street in 1844–1847. The new street followed a path which went from New Oxford Street to St Giles’s Church.

Arthur Street was renamed after Thomas Earnshaw, a Bloomsbury-based maker of chronometers.

Its original buildings were demolished and replaced by large Ministry of Defence premises, occupying the whole area between Earnshaw Street, Bucknall Street, St Giles High Street, and Dyott Street. In 2007, these buildings in turn were demolished to make way for the St Giles Court development.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
3
2020

 

Argyle Street, WC1H
Argyle Street, originally Manchester Street, was named after the former Argyle House. On Tompson’s map of 1803 this area was laid out as fields - there were no previous streets or buildings here.

Argyle Street had been planned by its developers Dunstan, Flanders, and Robinson in 1823–1824 but was begun in 1832. Cruchley’s map of 1827 shows its extent only planned as far as Dutton Street. The whole street was finished by 1849.

It absorbed the former Manchester Street and was then renumbered.

Charles Dickens’s sister Fanny and her husband Henry Burnett, a singer and music teacher, lived here in 1839.

The development was aimed at the working classes. However, it was decidedly middle-class in the 1841 census, with many resident barristers, clerks and a solicitor.

By 1848 the entire area was reported to be overcrowded and squalid. When G. H. Duckworth walked round the area in July 1898 as part of an update of Booth’s poverty maps, he noted the existence of a ’home for fallen women’ at t...
»more


FEBRUARY
2
2020

 

Junction Road, N19
Junction Road dates from 1813. Junction Road was built at the same time, and as part of the same scheme as the then-new Archway Road and laid out as an area of working class housing. The early residents were largely those who had to move from the St Pancras area as that station was built.

Junction Road is now home to Archway Tower, a building whose appearance is locally divisive.

Junction Road railway station stood on the corner of Junction Road and Station Road until its closure in 1960 as a good line. Passenger services ran from 1872 to 1916.

In 2004 Junction Road was branded “the worst street in the borough” for its level of grime, graffiti and “festering rubbish” but has since improved greatly due to the efforts of Islington Council.

The street has a number of notable restaurants, bars and pubs.
»read full article


FEBRUARY
1
2020

 

Oxendon Street, W1D
Oxendon Street, after Sir Henry Oxendon, husband of Mary Baker, daughter of Robert Baker who built the former Piccadilly House nearby. Panton Street and Oxendon Street stand on the site of the close of land marked on the plan of 1585 as Scavengers Close. The area of Scavengers Close was three acres, but discrepancies in measurements were of frequent occurrence at this date.

Scavengers Close was bought by Henry VIII from the Mercers’ Company and described in a list of the "Kynges new purchest landes" as "iii acres of pasture in a close ny to the muse" in the tenure of Thomas Wood.

The plan of 1585 shows a building marked "Gynnpowder howse" in the north-west corner and three other small buildings, one of which may have been the conduit referred to in various deeds. In 1619 Richard Wilson, a descendant of Thomas, sold extensive property in the parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields to Robert Baker, whose widow, together with her daughter Mary and her son-in-law, Henry Oxenden, in 1637 granted a 32 years’ lease of "a messuage, a cookhouse, a tennis court and 4 acres of ground" there to Simo...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page