The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51204 -0.13295) 

The Underground Map

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Featured · Soho ·
November
26
2020

The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.

Latest on The Underground Map...
Queen’s Theatre
The Queen’s Theatre is located in Shaftesbury Avenue on the corner of Wardour Street. The original plan was to name this venue ’The Central Theatre’. After a lengthy debate involving the owners, it was named The Queen’s Theatre and a portrait of Queen Alexandra was hung in the foyer.

It opened on 8 October 1907 on the corner of Shafter\sbury Avenue as a twin to the neighbouring Hicks Theatre (now the Gielgud Theatre) which had opened ten months earlier. Both theatres were designed by WGR Sprague.

In September 1940, a German bomb landed directly on the Queen’s Theatre, destroying the façade and lobby. The production at the time was Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca starring Celia Johnson, Owen Nares and Margaret Rutherford. The theatre remained closed until a ₤250,000 restoration was completed by Westwood Sons & Partners almost 20 years later. The auditorium retained its Edwardian décor while the lobbies and exterior were rebuilt in a modern style. The reconstructed theatre opened on 8 July 1959 with John Gielgud’s ...

»more

NOVEMBER
20
2020

 

Heath House
Heath House is a Grade II* listed historic mansion on Hampstead Heath From 1790 Heath House was the London seat of banker and philanthropist Sir Samuel Hoare. It remained in his family until the house was badly damaged in the Second World War and was sold. The branch of the Hoare family at the house were Quakers and played a significant part in philanthropy and public life. Several members of the family were also members of Parliament, including Sir Samuel Hoare, 1st Baronet who held the Norwich seat, his son Sir Samuel Hoare (Viscount Templewood) who was Foreign Secretary and Home Secretary. Edward Brodie Hoare was MP for Hampstead.

The house has been associated with Elizabeth Fry (who married into the family) and William Wilberforce with whom the Hoare family fought for abolition of slavery.

After the Second World War, after a number of years of dereliction, Heath House was bought by Donald Forrester who undertook a major renovation on the building and the grounds. It then became a Forrester family home for several years....
»more


NOVEMBER
18
2020

 

Lant Street, SE1
Lant Street derives its name from the Lant family who inherited the estates known as Southwark Olace The area around Lant Street was once known as The Mint. It was a slum area until as late as the 19th century but also a ’liberty’ with privileges for debtors until The Mint in Southwark Act (1722) removed these rights.

Much earlier, Suffolk House to the north had been the residence of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. It was exchanged by Henry VIII, the king giving the Duke of Suffolk in return the house of the Bishop of Norwich in St Martin’s-in-the-Fields. Suffolk House then took the name of Southwark Place and a mint was established here for the king’s use.

Later, Queen Mary I gave the mansion to Nicholas Heath, Archbishop of York. Archbishop Heath sold the premises, which were partly pulled down and many small cottages being built on the site. This estate devolved to the Lant family and Queen Anne empowered Thomas Lant to let leases for 51 years. In 1773 it was advertised to be let as seventeen acres, on which were 400 houses, with a r...
»more


NOVEMBER
17
2020

 

Eastcheap, EC3R
Eastcheap is the western continuation of Great Tower Street towards the Monument junction Eastcheap takes its name from cheap, the Old English word for market. There was a Westcheap - another former market street - that today is called Cheapside.

The Eastcheap name first appeared on an Anglo-Saxon penny of King Harold I’s reign. The penny was minted in London between 1035 and 1037 and the mint signature on the coin reads EADǷOLD ONESTCEPLV (’Eadwold on East Cheap’). This is the earliest known instance of a street-name on Anglo-Saxon coinage.

During the medieval period, Eastcheap was the main meat market in the City of London, with butchers’ stalls lining both sides of the street. The current section of the street was known as Little Eastcheap.

The street formerly extended further to the west, where it was called Great Eastcheap, but this section disappeared when King William Street was built in the early 19th century. Eastcheap was the location of Falstaff’s Boar’s Head Inn, featured in ...
»more


NOVEMBER
16
2020

 

Maida Vale, W9
Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London and ultimately takes its name from a pub The whole area of Maida Vale belonged to the Bishop of London in 1647, when a Mrs Wheatley was tenant of a wood and of 44 acres of pasture in five closes, which lay between the high road and the Westbourne stream - this was probably the forerunner of Kilburn Bridge Farm. In 1742, when Richard Marsh was tenant, the farmhouse and its yards stood by the road close to the stream, with around 39 acres in six closes to the south and west. Kilburn Bridge Farm was worth £230 a year in 1795.

Further south, Paddington Wood and some fields of Manor House Farm abutted the Edgware Road, with fields of Parsonage Farm to the west. There were no other buildings in 1790.

Building was made possible by the Act of 1795 but for the northern part of the Bishop’s estate, the first agreements occurred in 1807.

Plots existed along Edgware Road, in Hill Field and Pond Field and as far north as Paddington Wood. Builders Francis Humbert of Marylebone and Abraham C...
»more




JUNE
30
2020

 

Thorpe Close, W10
Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Thorpe Mews disappeared in 1965 as the local area was being demolished. The mews was revived as Thorpe Close once the Westway was built.
»read full article


JUNE
30
2020

 

Hanwell
Hanwell is the westernmost London postcode (W7). The earliest surviving reference is 959 BCE when it was recorded as ’Hanewelle’.

The original borders of the parish stretched from the River Brent at Greenford down to the River Thames.

Hanwell grew between the wars and the 140 acre London County Council Hanwell cottage estate was built between 1918 and 1939.

Hanwell railway station, opened in 1838, is situated on the Elizabeth Line between West Ealing and Southall.
»read full article


JUNE
29
2020

 

Barnet Gate Lane, EN5
Barnet Gate Lane runs from Barnet Road before its name changes to Mays Lane when it reaches Totteridge. Barnet Gate Lane is named after Barnet Gate. There was never a tollgate here as is often the case with places named ‘Somewhere Gate’ – just a barrier that prevented cattle from straying onto Barnet Common.

It was first called Grendel’s Gate, after the monster slain by Beowulf, and it has been suggested that the use of such a portentous name may have indicated a place of some significance in Saxon times.

It was certainly more important than it is now, for manor courts were held here in the Middle Ages and Hendon Wood Lane was a busy thoroughfare that may have been a Roman road. Roman coins, now lost, were found at Barnet Gate some years ago.

Barnet Gate mill (also known as Arkley Mill) was built in 1806 and survives today in the back garden of a private house, east of Brickfield Lane. The mill is visible slightly above and to the left of the centre of the satellite map below.
»read full article


JUNE
29
2020

 

Hayes and Harlington
Hayes and Harlington is a railway station in the London Borough of Hillingdon. The station is on Isambard Kingdom Brunel's former Great Western Main Line running out of London Paddington to the Thames Valley, Bristol, South Wales and the West Country.

The line was opened on 4 June 1838, initially running to a temporary Maidenhead station to allow completion of the famous brick arch bridge over the River Thames just west of the station. The station at Hayes opened in 1868.

From 1 March 1883, the station (then named Hayes) was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. The service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885.

Hayes is the location of the junction for the Heathrow Airport branch and is a station on Crossrail.

The film 'Trains at Hayes Station' showing trains passing through the station with stereophonic sound was filmed from the roof of the defunct Aeolian pianola factory just north of the station. The factory had been purchased by HMV ...
»more


JUNE
28
2020

 

Saunders Ness Road, E14
Saunders Ness Road was a new name for the eastern section of Wharf Road. Saunders Ness Road was a logical renaming (in 1937) being the area of the Isle of Dogs which ended in Saunders Ness. The road had existed in its Wharf Road incarnation since the 1850s.

This section of the road, stretching east from Island Gardens, served many wharves along its length.

The road was indeed mostly industry with fewer houses. On the first day of the Blitz - 7 September 1940 - a high explosive bomb fell at the south end of Saunders Ness Road with many houses destroyed or damaged beyond repair. Further bombing on the night of 18 September affected the road with 26 killed at Cubitt Town School. Indeed most buildings in the street suffered at least minor damage in the Blitz.

Much later, after the war during the 1970s, many of the industrial buildings and wharves were demolished with the land used by the London Borough of Tower Hamlets for the construction of public housing.

Construction of the Docklands Light Railway...
»more


JUNE
28
2020

 

Hercules Road, SE1
Hercules Road runs north from Lambeth Road near Lambeth Palace, on the site of Penlington Place. The road is named after Hercules Hall, which was built by and was the home of Philip Astley (1742-1814), riding instructor, horse-trainer, and acknowledged as the inventor of the modern circus.

Performing nearby in an open field behind the present site of St John’s Church, Waterloo, Astley realised the advantages of riding in a circle, and thus invented the circus ring. He was a principal among the many performers who made Lambeth a popular entertainment resort at that time.

Historically, Hercules Road is most well known for a former resident, the poet and visionary artist William Blake (1757-1827), who lived in a large house, 13 Hercules Buildings, and his address was Mr Blake Engraver, Hercules Buildings, Westminster Bridge. There is a series of mosaics inspired by Blake in a tunnel nearby. The site is marked with a plaque.

Hercules Road was a location for the film ’Passport to Pimlico’.

The Pineapple public house is located at 53-55 Hercules Road.
»read full article


JUNE
27
2020

 

Barkingside
Barkingside is a district in northern Ilford. Barkingside is mainly known for the children’s charity Barnardo’s - founded there in 1866. One of the oldest buildings in Barkingside is the Barnardo’s chapel.

The Holy Trinity Church dates from 1840.

Barkingside station originally opened in 1903 as part of a Great Eastern Railway branch line - the ’Fairlop Loop’ - from Woodford to Ilford via Hainault. The railway service was partially designed to stimulate suburban growth. The Great Eastern Railway became in 1923 part of the London & North Eastern Railway.

As part of the 1935–1940 ’New Works Programme’, the majority of the loop was to be transferred to form part of the Central line. Electrified Central line passenger services finally started in 1948.

Barkingside is ethnically diverse district but particularly notable for a high concentration of London’s Jewish population.
»read full article


JUNE
26
2020

 

Lisson Grove, NW1
The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Lisson Green is described as a hamlet in the Domesday book.

Originally Lisson Grove was part of the medieval manor of Lilestone which stretched north to Hampstead. Lisson Green broke away as a new manor in 1236 and had its own manor house.

’Lissing Green’ becames a recreation area for Londoners. By the 1790s, the Green was a large open space stretching down to Chapel Street and the Old Marylebone Road. Beside it on Lisson Grove, the Lissing Green/Lissom Grove village was part of a network of country lanes, on the east side of Edgware Road. At the southern end of the Green was the Yorkshire Stingo inn from whence stagecoaches set off for all parts.

Earlier, in 1771, Lisson Green was bought by James Stephens and Daniel Bullock, manufacturers of white lead. They set up the White Lead Manufactory next to the Nursery Garden, with unrecorded consequences to health. But until the late 18th century the district remained essentially rural.
»more


JUNE
25
2020

 

Ashcombe Street, SW6
Ashcombe Street was part of the Morrison’s Farm Estate. By 1895, Fulham was undergoing a property boom - large areas that were farms and market gardens were having housing built on them. One of these was Morrison’s Farm, situated to the west of Wandsworth Bridge Road and which stopped being a farm in 1894.

The Premier Land Company Limited had bought the farm’s freehold and drawn up a street plan to replace the fields. The streets were called Ashcombe Street, Beltran Road, Clancarty Road, Friston Street, Narborough Street, Settrington Road and Woolneigh Street.

William Gilbert Allen won the contract to build the estate.
»read full article


JUNE
24
2020

 

Castelnau, SW13
Castelnau was called Upper Bridge Road until 1889 leading as it did to Hammersmith Bridge. Castelnau began in 1843 as 20 pairs of classical villas - Castelnau Villas - which were built along the road by Major Charles Lestock Boileau. In 1691, the 10th Baron of Castelnau and St Croix had fled France for England following persecution of the Huguenots. The family settled in north Barnes. Castelnau means ’new castle’ in the Occitan language given its name to Castelnau House which Charles Lestock Boileau built.

The church of Holy Trinity was consecrated in 1868 serving the now 800 residents of the area.

After the sale of the Boileau estate, other streets were laid out. In 1928 the London County Council created the 640 house Castelnau Estate. Streets were named after deans of St Paul’s as the cathedral was formerly owner of the manor of Barnes. In 1971 these passed to ownership of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.

During the 1960s, Castelnau House was demolished being replaced by a library.

»read full article


JUNE
23
2020

 

Langthorne Street, SW6
Langthorne Street is final step in the Alphabet Streets of Fulham. The ladder of tree-lined streets known as the ’Alphabet Streets’ are located between the Thames and Fulham Palace Road.

The first of the streets is Bishops Avenue which was there before the others were created. There is this no ’A’ street since Fulham Palace already existed south of Bishops Avenue. Incidentally, there is also no ’J’ street.

The streets largely contain large semi-detached period homes.

Langthorne Street was built over the orchard of Mill Shot Farm in around 1902. In 1903 the London Borough of Fulham approved the Allen and Norris partnership to build houses in some of the streets.
»read full article


JUNE
22
2020

 

Kew Green
Kew Green is a large open space owned by the Crown Estate and extending to about thirty acres. The northern, eastern and southwestern sides of the Green are largely residential with some pubs, restaurants, and the Herbarium Library. To the north of the Green is Kew Bridge and the South Circular Road leading from the bridge runs across the Green, dividing it into a large western part and a smaller eastern part.

At the south end is St Anne’s Church and at the west end of the Green is Elizabeth Gate, one of the two main entrances into Kew Gardens.

A large triangular space, Kew Green is mentioned in a Parliamentary Survey of Richmond taken in 1649. Kew Green became notable as a venue for cricket in the 1730s and a parcel of land at the edge of the Green was enclosed by George IV in the 1820s.

Near the northeast corner of Kew Green is Kew Pond, originally thought to have been fed from a creek of the tidal Thames. During high tides, sluice gates are opened to allow river water to fill the pond via an underground channel.
»read full article


JUNE
21
2020

 

Long Lane, UB10
Long Lane runs roughly parallel with and about half a mile east of the River Pinn. Until the 20th century, there were only two major roads: the road from the district towards Harefield (later Park Road) and Long Lane running south from Ruislip and Ickenham to the London road east of Hillingdon village.

Ickenham village was situated at the junction of the modern Swakeleys Road and Long Lane. At this junction Long Lane widened to form a roughly triangular village centre for Ickenham. Until the 1930s most of the local houses were grouped around this spot.

Ickenham began to change after the sale of most of the Swakeleys estate in 1922. By 1934, larger dwellings and blocks of flats had been built along Long Lane.

Early 20th-century expansion was to transform the formerly distinct settlements of the area. By 1934 private housing estates and access ways covered much of the triangular area between Hillingdon village, Colham Green, and Goulds Green. Further private building was concentrated north of Hillingdon village along Long ...
»more


JUNE
21
2020

 

Harrow-on-the-Hill
Harrow-on-the-Hill station is a London Underground station served by National Rail and London Underground trains. The station is located in the town centre of Harrow, about half a mile north of the locality from which it takes its name.

The station was opened as ’Harrow’ on 2 August 1880, as the Metropolitan Railway extended from its previous terminus at Willesden Green. Its name was changed to ’Harrow-on-the-Hill’ in 1894. The station is located at the foot of Harrow hill which was at the time of opening a small hamlet called Greenhill. It has since become the main centre of Harrow.

Had the governors of Harrow School not made objections during the planning stage, it is possible that the Metropolitan Railway might have followed a different route taking it closer to the town centre on the hill.
»read full article


JUNE
20
2020

 

Allington Street, SW1E
Allington Street was named after Allington in Lincolnshire. Allington Street is first found in 1827, a year when a rash of new streets and terraces appeared in the future Victoria area.

They were all named, and for no apparent reason, after towns scattered over the country: Allington (Lincs), Stockbridge (Hants), Shaftesbury (Dorset), Bedford, Trelleck (Mon), Pembroke, Hindon (Wilts) and Howick (Lanes). Names of towns were a common source of street names among uninspired builders.

Apart from Allington Street and Howick Place, they have all since disappeared.
»read full article


JUNE
19
2020

 

Allen Street, W8
Allen Street extends south from Kensington High Street. Local ratebooks date what became Allen Street (also ‘Allen’s Rents’) to 1817.

Thomas Allen was a ’Buckinghamshire gentleman’ and landowner. He was one of the innovators of stucco, according to Faulkner’s History of Kensington (1820): "Mr Allen is now building two large rows of houses in the modern style, covered with plaister to ressemble stone". Faulkner denounced this as "tasteless tasteless innovation".

Allen formed a street leading south out of Kensington High Street of ’similar width and character to Newland Street’. This cul-de-sac was the future Allen Street but was then called Phillimore Terrace.

While active all around, in Allen Street itself, Thomas Allen did not build and until building started on the estate to the south, Allen Street was a quiet side street. The southward extension of the street occurred from 1852.

The Britannia Brewery occupied the site of the present Allen Mansions since 1834. A...
»more


JUNE
18
2020

 

Rowena Crescent, SW11
Rowena Crescent was once called Zulu Crescent. The Falcon Estate, of which Rowena Crescent is part, was laid out by Alfred Heaver in 1880.

Rowena Crescent was set back some distance from the railway when the street opened that year. The original streets on the Falcon Estate were named after British victories throughout the Empire which had taken place before the Estate was designed. Therefore we find a Candahar Road, Khyber Road and an Afghan Road named after the 1870s Afghanistan campaign alone. There had also been a skirmish in southern Africa during the decade and Rowena Crescent was assigned the name Zulu Crescent.

Local residents petitioned against the name and the more peaceable Rowena Crescent came into being soon afterwards.
»read full article


JUNE
17
2020

 

Aaron Hill Road, E6
Aaron Hill Road is the first street alphabetically within the M25. Aaron Hill Road was built over the site of Beckton’s Tar and Liquor Works which existed north of Windor Terrace.

The coal tar and ammonia by-products industry started in the late 19th century. It was discovered that numerous organic and inorganic chemicals could be obtained when purifying coal gas.

By 1876, the Burt, Boulton and Haywood company was distilling 55,000 cubic metres of coal tar annually to manufacture ingredients for dyes, disinfectants, road tar and insecticides. It provided sulphur to local companies for such products as fertilisers.

A purpose-built chemical works, Beckton Products Works, was constructed in 1879 and was reputed to be the largest tar and ammonia by-products works in the world. Since the works was dependent on by-products of coal gas, it could not long survive the introduction of natural gas and closed in 1970.

In 1981 the London Docklands Development Corporation started transforming the site ...
»more


JUNE
16
2020

 

Elia Street, N1
Elia Street was named for local poet, Charles Lamb. Charles Lamb achieved fame in the 1820s when he published a series of essays in the London Magazine under the name of ’Elia’ - the last name of an Italian man that he had worked with when Lamb was a clerk at the South Sea Company.

It was at first called Alfred Street. James Rhodes laid out Sudeley Street, Alfred Street and Vincent Terrace by 1837 and Gordon Street (later Quick Street) in 1838. A few houses in Elia Street, which ran to the New River beside the Scotch church, had already been completed by 1838. Rhodes used at least three builders, William Beckingham, John Wilson, and Thomas Allen, and probably also built the short terrace facing the river between Elia Street and Vincent Terrace.


»read full article


JUNE
15
2020

 

Tadworth
Tadworth is a suburban village in Surrey situated in the south-east area of the Epsom Downs. On a local farm - South Tadworth Farm - is an Iron Age ’Banjo’ enclosure, dating from 400–100 BC.

Tadworth appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as ’Tadeorde and Tadorne’. Its assets were: 2 hides, 5 ploughs and woodland worth 4 hogs.

For centuries after that, a manorial system was in place: namely North Tadworth Manor, South Tadworth Manor and the Rectory Manors of Banstead.

In 1874 a school board was formed for Banstead, Tadworth, and Kingswood, and in 1875 Tadworth and Kingswood School was opened by the board - now Kingswood Primary School.

In 1911 topographer and historian H. E. Malden describes Tadworth as "a hamlet on the Reigate road, included now in the ecclesiastical district of Kingswood".

On 1 July 1900, the railway station opened as ’Tadworth & Walton-on-the Hill’. It is the penultimate station on the Tattenham Corner Line.

The British Transport Police’s training ...
»more


JUNE
15
2020

 

Rayners Lane
Rayners Lane takes its name from a road in the area which runs from Marsh Road in Pinner to Eastcote Lane in South Harrow. Rayners Lane - the road - had been used for transporting grain to the mill on Pinner Green during the Middle Ages. Previously called Bourne Lane, during the first half of the nineteenth century the area was in the hands of the farming Rayner family and the road was renamed after them.

The Metropolitan Railway opened a branch to Uxbridge in 1904 and Rayners Lane station opened as Rayners Lane Halt on 26 May 1906.

Until then mostly rural, a 1930s development originally named Harrow Garden Village was planned. This was one of Metroland’s flagship projects. The area was suddenly built up as a result between 1929 and 1938 by Harrow’s biggest interwar housebuilder T.F. Nash, who created a shopping parade on Alexandra Avenue. Nash constructed a temporary narrow gauge railway sidings at High Worple to bring in materials for the project.

A now-listed, but now closed, Art Deco cinema was opened in 1935 featuring a curved projection on the front, ...
»more


JUNE
14
2020

 

Allcroft Road, NW5
Allcroft Road was built between 1862 and 1870 to links Queen’s Crescent with roads to the south. The church of St Martin’s was built in 1865 at the expense of John D. Allcroft. Allcroft was a wealthy Shropshire gentleman who was concerned about the spiritual welfare of the hundreds of workers and artisans moving into the developing neighbourhood. A memorial to him was erected in the church after his death in 1893.

J. Sainsbury built an important North London depot in Allcroft Road in the 1880s.

After Second World War devastation in the area, the northern section of the road went under the bulldozer and disappeared.
»read full article


JUNE
13
2020

 

St Albans Place, N1
St Albans Place was home to a famous Islington strong man. During the 18th century, there was a pub here called the ’Duke’s Head’ on the south east corner of the street. It was known from 1600 onwards and presumably this dates the street to the rural origins of Islington.

The pub was kept at that time by Thomas Topham (1710-1749), a famous strongman who had been a publican at Coldbath Fields at the age of 24. He was originally a carpenter and stood 5 feet 10 inches according to contemporary records.

In nearby Bath Street, during 1741, he lifted three barrels of water - weighing 1183 pounds - by his neck in front of a huge crowd of thousands which included Admiral Vernon, the naval victor of Portobello and Carthagena. Portobello Road is named after Vernon.

Topham could also twist pewter plates into the shape of three-cornered hats. In the British Museum can be found a dish made of the hardest pewter that had been rolled up by Topham.

His story didn’t end well. After stabbing h...
»more


JUNE
11
2020

 

Cricklewood Broadway (1933)
Smiths of Cricklewood were notable clockmakers. The photo can be accurately dated due to the performance of "The One Girl" listed on the poster.
»read full article


JUNE
10
2020

 

Castor Street, E14
Castor Street existed between the 1810s and 1960s. Until the building of the East India Dock Road in 1806, the only roads running north from Poplar High Street were Bow Lane, Robin Hood Lane and North Street. East India Dock Road’s arrival at the beginning of the nineteenth century started development planning.

The land to the north of Pennyfields as far as East India Dock Road was owned by Mary Burch. In 1812, Castor Street was laid out and a number of leases were granted there to carpenters, a bricklayer and a builder. Henceforth a number of small houses were erected in Castor Street and Sandpit Road (later this was renamed West Street and again in 1875 renamed Birchfield Street).

Mary Burch offered short leases of 31 years - these were too short to encourage a high standard of building. Some nearby occupiers complained of filth ’of every kind’ in Castor Street.

By 1832, Joel Langley and his family had acquired the land from Miss Burch. From about 1855 Joseph and George Mills establ...
»more


JUNE
9
2020

 

Hornsey Road, N7
Hornsey Road is main road running through the Islington and Highbury area In very early times, Hornsey Road was called Tallington Lane or Tallingdon Lane. It was part of the old road to Whetstone by way of Crouch End.

Its variable name came from the settlement of Tollington which was already located around the junction of Heame Lane and Tollington Lane (later Seven Sisters Road and Hornsey Road) by 1000 - a moated farmhouse lay on the south side of the junction. Although Tollington remained in use as a placename to the end of the 17th century, it was superseded by Holloway and the hamlet had ceased to have a separate identity by the 18th century.

The junction of Hornsey Road and Holloway Roads was known as Ring Cross by 1494.

By 1586, there was a freehold house with a garden, orchard and moat called Lower Place alongside the roadHornsey Roadin the Kinloch Place area. By 1721, this had become an inn.

By the eighteenth century, Hornsey Road has become called Duval’s Lane. About 1802 it was said...
»more


JUNE
8
2020

 

Lodge Farm
Lodge Farm was owned by Merton Priory until the dissolution of the monastery in 1538. Sir Richard Garth was Lord of the Manor in the 1600s.

This farm was originally called Spital Farm - it is not known when its name changed to Lodge Farm. It was a mixture of arable, grass, orchards and market gardening.

From the late 1700s to the early 1900s, the farm was owned by members of the Hoare banking family but they only lived at The Lodge (a large house) next door until the mid nineteenth century. The farm itself was by then run by their bailiff but in the latter half of the 1800s, the land was divided and leased to various farmers.

In 1910, The Lodge is described as being of timber with a pantile roof. It had a sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms, a wash room, an outside toilet and a garden. Various cow stalls were described and three farm yards mentioned. There were also stables.

There was a public footpath through the farm estate which went from Central Road (formerly Morden Lane) to Bishopsford Road (formerly Su...
»more


JUNE
6
2020

 

Shoulder of Mutton Alley, E14
Shoulder of Mutton Alley might derive its name from an inn - or something more earthy. Shoulder of Mutton Alley might have received its name from a food market - there was certainly one here of the same name.

But there was, in older times, another use of the word ‘mutton’ - a slang term for prostitutes. This was prime dockland territory, after all.
»read full article


JUNE
4
2020

 

Batts Farm
Batts Farm is first mentioned in the will of Peter Batt in the late eighteenth century. The farm consisted of arable meadow, pasture land, coppice ground and 70 acres known as Batts Land. There was also a barn, stable yard and a house. Part of the land extended on the west to Green Wrythe Lane and to the River Wandle on the east.

Peter Batt left the farm to his sisters Mary Batt and Elizabeth Bassett. In 1798, Mary Batt leased it to a Henry Hoare for a term of 21 years. There was a proviso in the lease that "he did not cut all the trees".

Henry Hoare sold the farm in 1828 - it then consisted of various farm buildings and two new brick-built cottages. These cottages were mostly used by agricultural labourers employed by the farm.

By 1841, the Charles Pimm ran Batts Farm, living there with his son William and daughter Anne. The farmhouse was probably rebuilt in the late 1850s. When Charles died in 1869, William took over and farmed there until he died in 1892. By then, the farm mostly grew grain and vegetables. There was some li...
»more


JUNE
3
2020

 

Theobald Street, looking north
This image probably dates from the 1950s. Immediately to the right of the photo we see ’The Crown’, a pub situated at the Shenley Road/Theoald Street junction until the 2010s - replaced by a supermarket in the same building.

The war memorial was deemed too much of an obstruction to traffic and so was moved to the junction of Shenley Road and Elstree Way later.

The building behind the war memorial is the original building of ’The Crown’, demolished in 2020 despite listed building protection.


»read full article


JUNE
2
2020

 

Sloane Street, SW1X
Sloane Street runs north to south, from Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, taking its name from Sir Hans Sloane, who purchased the surrounding area in 1712. By 1760, the Swan (or New Swan) inn occupied a group of buildings facing the lane later enlarged into Sloane Street, with a tap house (later the Clock House inn) facing Brompton Road.

The Swan inn dated back at least to 1699, but was largely rebuilt in 1755–6 when a new lease was granted to Joseph Barnham, innkeeper. There was a yard with stables and coach-houses stretching to the west roughly up to the present Hooper’s Court.

Development started in the immediate environs of the inn. Here twelve houses known initially as Gloucester Row were erected under building leases of 1764 from Joseph Barnham to Joseph Clark and William Meymott, both carpenters. Clark built four houses next to the Swan, all leased in 1764. Meymott, a substantial builder based in Southwark and Bermondsey, built the following eight, leased in 1764–7. These were all small and orthodox Georgian terrace houses.

Joseph Clark (described as ‘Joseph Clark the elder’...
»more


JUNE
1
2020

 

Gracechurch Street, EC3V
Gracechurch Street is in the heart of Roman Londinium - it runs directly over the site of the basilica and forum. The word ’Gracechurch’ is derived from ’Gres-cherch’ or ’Gras-cherche’. The ’Gracechurch’ version was not used until after the destruction of all of the buildings in the street during the Great Fire of London in 1666. During its history, the street was for a period named Gracious Street.

It was a late Anglo-Saxon street and seems to have been built around the same time as London Bridge (10th/11th century) to which it provided access.

The church is was named after - St Benet Gracechurch stood at the junction with Lombard Street. It was destroyed in the Great Fire.

In medieval times a corn market was held beside the church. Leadenhall Market dating from the 14th century is still the street’s most noted attraction.

Originally at its southern end, it was called New Fish Street. North of Cornhill, Gracechurch continued as Bishopsgate Street.

The street was on the royal processional route. When the ...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


w:en:Creative Commons
attribution share alike
Unless given an attribution, images and text on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
If given an attribution or citation, any reuse of material must credit the original source under their terms.
Attribution: No known copyright owner. Public domain assumed
If there is no attribution or copyright, you are free:
  • to share - to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix - to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution - You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
  • share alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.

1900 and 1950 mapping is reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) licence.