Print-friendly version of this page
Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road
The fire station opened in 1894 after the site was purchased by the London County Council Fire Brigade Committee. It replaced an earlier station built by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
It was used until 1969 when a new fire station was opened by the Greater London Council on the Harrow Road
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Paddington Fire Station (c.1900)
London Metropolitan Archives
Hyett's hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper. Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Ashbridge Street, NW8 Ashbridge Street is named after Arthur Ashbridge, District Surveyor for Marylebone between 1884–1918. Blomfield Road, W9 Blomfield Road is the road running beside the canal on the Little Venice side. Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Stranraer Place, W9 Stranraer Place was a former name for the eastern section of Sutherland Avenue.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.