Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s.
To the immediate east of the street, St George’s Fields was a burial ground from 1763, and later used for archery, games and as allotments. The burial ground was closed in 1854. The land was owned by St George’s Church in Hanover Square, which sold it to developers in 1967 who left a few tombstones in place.
East of Albion Street and south of Connaught Street
, the St George’s Fields group of flats is a development by Design 5 from the early 1970s. They are set back in beautifully planted gardens. The mature plantings inside the estate enhance views from Connaught Street
, Stanhope Place
and Albion Gate, and the scale of the new buildings is such that they do not disrupt the historic townscape.
The community of 300 flats is set in over two acres of woodland gardens. The Ziggurat pyramid style buildings incorporate five levels of large balconies each with hanging gardens.