Basildene Road, TW4

Road might date from the first world war period. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.47118 -0.39377) 

Basildene Road, TW4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Hounslow West · TW4 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Basildene Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hounslow West Hounslow West was once the terminus of the London Underground Hounslow branch.

NEARBY STREETS
Aldergrove Gardens, TW3 A street within the TW3 postcode
Arundel Road, TW4 Arundel Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Badger Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Bath Road, TW4 Bath Road is one of main road leading out of London towards the west.
Beavers Lane, TW4 Beavers Lane is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Building 315, TW6 A street within the TW4 postcode
Cavalry Barracks, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Chinchilla Drive, TW4 Chinchilla Drive is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Clifford Road, TW4 Clifford Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Dalcross Road, TW4 This is a street in the TW4 postcode area
Elmdon Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Ermine Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Francis Road, TW4 Francis Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Fusiliers Way, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Hounslow Tw4, KT19 A street within the TW4 postcode
Hurn Court Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Ivanhoe Road, TW4 Ivanhoe Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Kevin Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Lancaster Place, TW4 Lancaster Place is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Legrace Avenue, TW4 Legrace Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Lela Avenue, TW4 Lela Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Lichfield Road, TW4 Lichfield Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Manor Avenue, TW4 Manor Avenue is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Marmot Road, TW4 Marmot Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Marnell Way, TW4 Marnell Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Martindale Road, TW4 Martindale Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Mink Court, TW4 Mink Court is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Musquash Way, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Opossum Way, TW4 Opossum Way is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Raccoon Way, TW4 Raccoon Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Ravensdale Gardens, TW4 Ravensdale Gardens is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Ravensdale Road, TW4 Ravensdale Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Renfrew Court, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Rosemary Avenue, TW4 Rosemary Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Sable Close, TW4 Sable Close is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Salisbury Road, TW4 Salisbury Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Springwell Court, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Squirrel Close, TW4 Squirrel Close is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Vicarage Farm Road, TW3 Vicarage Farm Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Vincent Road, TW4 Vincent Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Wilton Road, TW4 Wilton Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page