Print-friendly version of this page
Beaumont Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
All Souls Church All Souls Church is an evangelical Anglican church situated at the north end of Regent Street. Allsop Farm Allsop Farm stood on the north side of Marylebone Road. Baker Street Baker Street tube station is a station on the London Underground at the junction of Baker Street and the Marylebone Road. The station lies in Travelcard Zone 1 and is served by five different lines. It is one of the original stations of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the world’s first underground railway, opened in 1863. Regent’s Park Regent’s Park - not the park itself but the tube station. Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Ashland Place, W1U Alongside the cemetery of Marylebone ran Burying Ground Passage which was renamed Ashland Place in 1886. Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Bakers Mews, W1U Bakers Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library. Bulstrode Street, W1U Bulstrode Street runs from Welbeck Street in the east to Thayer Street in the west. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Deans Mews, W1G Deans Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Duchess Mews, W1G Duchess Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area. Harley Place, W1G Harley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767. Hinde Mews, W1U Hinde Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Hinde Street, W1U Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer. Holmes Place, W1U Holmes Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Moxon Street, W1U Moxon Street once went by the name of Paradise Street, at odds with its appearance. Welbeck Street, W1G Welbeck Street has historically been associated with the medical profession. Welbeck Way, W1G Welbeck Way is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place
forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary’s
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London’s mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street
and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.