Under South Molton Lane
and Avery Row
flowed the Tyburn Brook, which formed the eastern boundary of the Grosvenor Estate
’s location was shared by the Grosvenor Estate in the west and Conduit Mead Estate to its east. The development of the street began in 1720 by both estates.
Sir Richard Grosvenor took leases of land in the Conduit Mead Estate and enter into special agreements with the builders so that developers would not block the line of Brook Street
to Hanover Square
Grosvenor also committed to build "a large brick arch and shore over the said brook". With the route of Brook Street
secured, he sold on building agreements between 1724 and 1726 of all the land on both sides of his portion of Brook Street
. By 1729 most of the houses were in occupation.
In 1735 Robert Seymour described the new street as "for the most part nobly built and inhabited by People of Quality".
In the eighteenth century the street was sometimes referred to as Lower Brook Street
to distinguish it from Upper Brook Street
. The eastern part between New Bond Street
and Hanover Square
was known as Little Brook Street
The street originally consisted of London terraced housing mostly built to individual designs, some by well-known architects for aristocratic clients. Some of the original houses have been replaced by buildings from a variety of periods.
A feature of the street is the Claridge’s hotel, at the junction with Davies Street
Both George Handel and Jimi Hendrix lived in the same house at 23-25 Brook Street