Conduit Mews, W2
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Conduit Mews is a street in Paddington.
Bayard’s Bridge Bayard’s Bridge took the Uxbridge Road over the River Westbourne. Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals. Paddington The first underground railway station in the world ran from Paddington - opened as Paddington (Bishop's Road) by the Metropolitan Railway on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the company's route from Farringdon. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north.
Bayswater is one of London's most cosmopolitan areas - also one of London's biggest concentration of hotels.
Notably, there is a significant Arab population, a large number of Americans, a substantial Greek community attracted by London's Greek Orthodox Cathedral and the area is also a centre of London's Brazilian community.
Architecturally, the biggest part of the area is made up of Victorian mansion blocks, mostly, although not exclusively, divided up into flats. There are also purpose built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a there is large Council Estate, the 800 flat Hallfield Estate, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off. There are some garden squares in the area.
Queensway and Westbourne Grove are busy High Streets, with a very large number of ethnic restaurants.
Bayswater tube station lies between Notting Hill Gate and Paddington.
The station was opened 1 October 1868, just 5 years after the London Underground started. It was renamed several times: to Bayswater (Queen's Road) & Westbourne Grove in 1923, to Bayswater (Queen's Road) in 1933.