Print-friendly version of this page
Crawford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Albert Court, SW7 Albert Court, a residential block for the "upper classes", was constructed in 1890. Albert Gate, SW1X Albert Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Beauchamp Place, SW3 Beauchamp Place was also the name of a 16th-century mansion of the Seymour family. Brompton Road, SW1X Brompton Road lies partly in Westminster and partly in Kensington and Chelsea. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Cheval Place, SW7 Cheval Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Cottage Place, SW3 Cottage Place was the location of Brompton Road station on the Piccadilly Line before its closure. David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Green Street, W1K Green Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Hans Crescent, SW1X Hans Crescent forms part of an area informally called Hans Town which dates back to the 18th century. Hans Place, SW1X Hans Place, a square, is named after Sir Hans Sloane, physician and collector, whose bequest became the foundation of the British Museum. Hans Street, SW1X Hans Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Hyde Park, W2 Hyde Park, as well as being a park, is an address for some park-located buildings Kinnerton Street, SW1X Kinnerton Street - a small winding street - was originally the service road for Wilton Place and Wilton Crescent. Knightsbridge, SW1X Knightsbridge is a main thoroughfare running along the south side of Hyde Park. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. Montpelier Square, SW7 Montpelier Square is an upmarket residential garden square located in the Knightsbridge area. North Row, W1K North Row is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Park Close, SW1X Park Close is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Pont Street, SW1X Pont Street is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge/Belgravia, not far from the Knightsbridge department store Harrods to the north-west. Portman Square, W1H Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Cavendish Square to its east. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Princes Gate, SW7 Princes Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Red Place, W1K Red Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Relton Mews, SW7 Relton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Rutland Gate, SW7 Rutland Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Sloane Street, SW1X Sloane Street runs north to south, from Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, taking its name from Sir Hans Sloane, who purchased the surrounding area in 1712. Trevor Place, SW7 Trevor Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. William Mews, SW1X William Mews is a partially redeveloped, private Mews off Lowndes Square. Wilton Crescent, SW1X Wilton Crescent is notable for its affluent and politically important list of residents, present and historic. Wilton Place, SW1X Wilton Place was built in 1825 to connect Belgravia with Knightsbridge. Wilton Row, SW1X Wilton Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Woods Mews, W1K Woods Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road
forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street
and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove
). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.