Crompton Street, W2

Road in/near Edgware Road

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5236 -0.17691) 

Crompton Street, W2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Edgware Road · W2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Crompton Street is a street in Paddington.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hyett's hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper.
Paddington Fire Station Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road.
Paddington Green Children’s Hospital The Paddington Green Children’s Hospital opened in August 1883.

NEARBY STREETS
Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571.
Adpar Street, W2 Adpar Street is a street in Paddington.
Alexandra Court, W9 Alexandra Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Blomfield Mews, W2 Blomfield Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Blomfield Road, W2 Blomfield Road is a road in the W2 postcode area
Blomfield Road, W9 Blomfield Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Boscobel Street, NW8 Boscobel Street is named after a nearby pub called the Royal Oak.
Braithwaite Tower, W2 Braithwaite Tower is a street in Paddington.
Broadley Street, NW8 Broadley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Browning Close, W9 Browning Close is named after two poets.
Capland Street, NW8 Capland Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Church Street, NW8 Church Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Church Street, W2 Church Street is a street in Paddington.
Clarendon Gardens, W9 Clarendon Gardens is a street in Maida Vale.
Clarendon Terrace, W9 Clarendon Terrace is a street in Maida Vale.
Clifton Court, NW8 Clifton Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clifton Gardens, W9 Clifton Gardens is a road in the W9 postcode area
Clifton Road, W9 Clifton Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Clive Court, W9 Clive Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Corlett Street, NW1 Corlett Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cunningham Place, NW8 Cunningham Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Cuthbert Street, W2 Cuthbert Street is a street in Paddington.
Edward House, W2 Residential block
Elizabeth Close, W9 Elizabeth Close commemorates Elizabeth Barrett Browning, the poet.
Fisherton Street, NW8 Fisherton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Frampton Street, NW8 Frampton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hall Place, W2 Hall Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Hamilton Close, NW8 Hamilton Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital.
Hatton Street, NW8 This is a street in the NW8 postcode area
Henderson Drive, NW8 Henderson Drive is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Howley Place, W2 Howley Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Jerome Crescent, NW8 Jerome Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Joe Strummer Subway, W2 Joe Strummer Subway is a road in the W2 postcode area
John Aird Court (116-228), W2 John Aird Court is in Paddington
Lanark Place, W9 Lanark Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Lisson Grove, NW8 Lisson Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Luton Street, NW8 Luton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lyons Place, W2 Lyons Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Maida Avenue, W2 Maida Avenue is a street in Paddington.
Marylebone Flyover, W2 Marylebone Flyover is a road in the W2 postcode area
Miles Buildings, NW1 Miles Buildings is a street in Camden Town.
Northwick Close, NW8 Northwick Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Northwick Terrace, NW8 Northwick Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area.
Park Place Villas, W2 Park Place Villas is a street in Paddington.
Penfold Place, NW1 Penfold Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Penfold Street, NW1 Penfold Street is a street in Camden Town.
Penfold Street, NW8 Penfold Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Porteus Road, W2 Porteus Road is a road in the W2 postcode area
Princess Louise Close, W2 Princess Louise Close is a street in Paddington.
Randolph Crescent, W9 Randolph Crescent is a street in Maida Vale.
Randolph Mews, W9 Randolph Mews is a road in the W9 postcode area
Randolph Road, W9 Randolph Road is a road in the W9 postcode area
Regents Court, W9 Regents Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Rodney Court, W9 Rodney Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Saint Mary’s Square, W2 Saint Mary’s Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Saint Mary’s Terrace, W2 This is a street in the W2 postcode area
Salisbury Street, NW8 Salisbury Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Sandringham Court, W9 Sandringham Court is a street in Maida Vale.
St Marys Mansions, W2 St Marys Mansions is a street in Paddington.
St Marys Terrace, W2 St Marys Terrace is a street in Paddington.
Warrington Crescent, W9 Warrington Crescent is a street in Maida Vale.
Warwick Avenue, W9 Warwick Avenue is a street in Maida Vale.
Warwick Crescent, W2 Warwick Crescent is a street in Paddington.
Warwick Cresent, W2 Warwick Cresent is a street in Paddington.
Warwick Place, W9 Warwick Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
1830 map of Westbourne Park
TUM image id: 1138
Chalk Farm in 1730
TUM image id: 1257
23-24 Leinster Gardens
TUM image id: 2298
Spotted Dog
TUM image id: 2381
Queen's Cinema
TUM image id: 3106
Print-friendly version of this page