Print-friendly version of this page Regent’s Park Regent’s Park - not the park itself but the tube station. Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street. Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library. BT Tower The BT Tower is a communications tower, previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower. Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane. Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south. Duchess Mews, W1B Duchess Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road. Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area. First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Harley Place, W1G Harley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767. Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards. Tolmers Square, NW1 Tolmers Square roughly covers the site of a reservoir of the New River Company. Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street. Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner. Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south.
Great Portland Street is a London Underground station near Regent’s Park.
It was opened on 10 January 1863 as Portland Road
, renamed Great Portland Street and Regents Park
in 1923 and changed to its present name on 1 March 1917.
The current structure was built in 1930 on a traffic island on the Marylebone Road
at its intersection with Great Portland Street
and Albany Street. Its construction is a steel framed cream terracotta clad exterior, with the perimeter providing shops and originally a car showroom with office space over the station. Great Portland Street
was at a major sales location for the motor industry. It was designed by the architect C.W. Fowler and Grade II listed in January 1987.
Local points of interest include Regent’s Park, and the Post Office Tower. The station is very close to Regent’s Park station, which is on the Bakerloo line.
The station is across the street from the main building of International Student House, a student residence and hostel and is also near Harley Street
medical district, famous for its doctors and surgeons.
Great Portland Street
itself forms the boundary between Fitzrovia to the east and Marylebone to the west. Like the better known Portland Place
which runs parallel with it to the west, Great Portland Street
was developed by the Dukes of Portland, who owned most of the eastern half of Marylebone in the 18th and 19th centuries. It is now a mixed use street with buildings of mainly five to eight storeys. There are some offices and a number of blocks of mansion flats.