Francis Road, TW4

Area might date from the first world war period. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.47325 -0.39093, 51.473 -0.39) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Hounslow West · TW4 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Francis Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hounslow West Hounslow West was once the terminus of the London Underground Hounslow branch.

NEARBY STREETS
Aldergrove Gardens, TW3 A street within the TW3 postcode
Ambassador Close, TW3 Ambassador Close is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Basildene Road, TW4 Basildene Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Bath Road, TW4 Bath Road is one of main roads leading out of London towards the west.
Broad Walk, TW5 Broad Walk is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Cavendish Parade, TW4 Cavendish Parade is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Chinchilla Drive, TW4 Chinchilla Drive is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Clifford Road, TW4 Clifford Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Cranston Close, TW3 Cranston Close is a road in the TW3 postcode area
Dalcross Road, TW3 Dalcross Road is a turning off of Renfrew Road.
Dale Avenue, TW4 Dale Avenue is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Dawn Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Elmdon Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Ermine Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Ferndale Avenue, TW4 Ferndale Avenue is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Hounslow Tw4, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Hurn Court Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Hussars Close, TW4 Hussars Close is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Ivanhoe Road, TW4 Ivanhoe Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
John Street, TW3 A street within the TW3 postcode
Kevin Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Lancaster Place, TW4 Lancaster Place is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Lanlock Place, TW3 Lanlock Place is a road in the TW3 postcode area
Legrace Avenue, TW4 Legrace Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Lela Avenue, TW4 Lela Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Manor Avenue, TW4 Manor Avenue is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Marmot Road, TW4 Marmot Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Marnell Way, TW4 Marnell Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Mink Court, TW4 Mink Court is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Opossum Way, TW4 Opossum Way is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Parklands Court, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Parklands Parade, TW4 Parklands Parade is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
PO Box 4, TW3 Great West Road is a road in the TW3 postcode area
Poole Court Road, TW3 Poole Court Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Raccoon Way, TW4 Raccoon Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Ravensdale Gardens, TW4 Ravensdale Gardens is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Ravensdale Road, TW4 Ravensdale Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Renfrew Court, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Rosary Close, TW3 A street within the TW3 postcode
Rosemary Avenue, TW4 Rosemary Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Scott Trimmer Way, TW3 Scott Trimmer Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Springwell Court, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Squirrel Close, TW4 Squirrel Close is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Travellers Way, TW4 Travellers Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Vicarage Farm Road, TW3 Vicarage Farm Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Vincent Road, TW4 Vincent Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Widmer Court, TW3 A street within the TW3 postcode
Wilton Road, TW4 Wilton Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area


Hounslow West

Hounslow West was once the terminus of the London Underground Hounslow branch.

The original station was opened by the District Railway (now the District line) on 21 July 1884. It was originally named Hounslow Barracks since it was situated close to the Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow which were south of the station on Beavers Lane.

At first, the station was the terminus of a single track branch line from the now-closed Hounslow Town station on Hounslow High Street. This branch diverged from the main route about 300 metres east of the present Hounslow East station. When the branch opened there were no intermediate stations between this station and Osterley & Spring Grove (now called Osterley).

New stations were eventually opened and on 1 December 1925 Hounslow West, Hounslow Central and Hounslow East received their current station names. The branch had been electrified in 1905.

The original building was demolished and a new Stanley Heaps and Charles Holden-designed Hounslow West opened on 5 July 1931 on the Bath Road.

Piccadilly line services were extended to Hounslow West on 13 March 1933. District line services were progressively reduced to rush-hour services before final withdrawal on 9 October 1964.

In the 1970s, work began on an extension from Hounslow West to Heathrow Airport. As the Heathrow service required a new alignment, new platforms were brought into use underground in 1975.

Hounslow West is located on Bath Road about 600 metres from its junction with the Great West Road and Great South West Road.




LOCAL PHOTOS

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Burns Way postcode featuring the Southall Gasometer in the background
Credit: Raphael Tuck and Sons
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page