Print-friendly version of this page
Gipsy Hill is the name of the main road that runs from Gipsy Road
, near its junction with South Croxted Road
, up to Westow Hill
in Upper Norwood.
Gipsy Hill takes its name from the presence of Gipsies in what was a relatively remote rural area until Gipsy Hill railway station was opened in 1856. On 11 August 1668, Samuel Pepys recorded in his diary that his wife had visited "the gypsies at Lambeth"; they may well have been located in this area.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Alleyn Crescent, SE21 Alleyn Crescent is a twentieth century development running between Alleyn Road and Alleyn Park. Alleyn Road, SE21 Alleyn Road is named for Edward Alleyn, actor and local benefactor. Alma Yard, SE19 Alma Yard is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Childs Lane, SE19 Childs Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Church Approach, SE21 Church Approach - the connecting road between Alleyn Road and South Croxted Road - leads to Emmanuel Church. Church Road, SE19 Church Road is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Cintra Park, SE19 Cintra Park is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Colby Road, SE19 Colby Road is a named after Edmund Colby, appointed as Schoolmaster Fellow of Dulwich College by the Parliamentarians in 1645. Essex Court, SE19 Essex Court is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Farquhar Road, SE19 Farquhar Road was named after the Chairman of the Crystal Palace Company, Thomas Farquhar. Fountain Drive, SE19 Fountain Drive marks the drinking fountain which stood in nearby Crystal Palace Parade. Fox Hill, SE19 Fox Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Giles Coppice, SE19 Giles Coppice extends south from Kingswood Drive, stopping just short of Dulwich Wood Park. Grange Road, SE19 Grange Road is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Harold Road, SE19 Harold Road is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Haynes Lane, SE19 Haynes Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Jasper Road, SE19 Jasper Road is located at the far south-western extremity of Dulwich manor. Kingswood Drive, SE19 Kingswood Drive takes its name from Kingswood House, built by William Vizard in 1811. Little Bornes, SE21 Little Bornes is a modern development in Alleyn Park, south of Kingsdale School. Lymer Avenue, SE19 Cornelius Lymer, then Chaplain of Christchurch College, Oxford, was appointed the first Chaplain to Alleyn’s College in 1616. Park Lodge, SE19 Park Lodge is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Rochdale, SE19 Rochdale is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Rock Hill, SE26 Rock Hill is a steep walkway linking College Road with Sydenham Hill. Rouse Gardens, SE21 Rouse Gardens - named after Harold Lindsey Rouse, a Director of Midland Bank Ltd., an Alleyn Old Boy and local resident. Seeley Drive, SE21 Seeley Drive, on the Kingswood Estate, is named after Harry Govier Seeley, an Assistant Master at Dulwich College. South Vale, SE19 South Vale is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Spa Close, SE25 Spa Close is one of the streets of London in the SE25 postal area. Stoney Lane, SE19 Stoney Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Sylvan Road, SE19 Sylvan Road is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area. Westow Hill, SE19 Westow Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE19 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.