Print-friendly version of this page
Junction Mews is a street in Paddington.
Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Albert Court, SW7 Albert Court, a residential block for the "upper classes", was constructed in 1890. Albert Gate, SW1X Albert Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Beauchamp Place, SW3 Beauchamp Place was also the name of a 16th-century mansion of the Seymour family. Brompton Road, SW1X Brompton Road lies partly in Westminster and partly in Kensington and Chelsea. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Cheval Place, SW7 Cheval Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Cottage Place, SW3 Cottage Place was the location of Brompton Road station on the Piccadilly Line before its closure. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. Hans Crescent, SW1X Hans Crescent forms part of an area informally called Hans Town which dates back to the 18th century. Hans Place, SW1X Hans Place, a square, is named after Sir Hans Sloane, physician and collector, whose bequest became the foundation of the British Museum. Hans Street, SW1X Hans Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Hyde Park, W2 Hyde Park, as well as being a park, is an address for some park-located buildings Jay Mews, SW7 Jay Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Knightsbridge, SW1X Knightsbridge is a main thoroughfare running along the south side of Hyde Park. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. Montpelier Square, SW7 Montpelier Square is an upmarket residential garden square located in the Knightsbridge area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Park Close, SW1X Park Close is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Princes Gate, SW7 Princes Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Relton Mews, SW7 Relton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Rutland Gate, SW7 Rutland Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Sloane Street, SW1X Sloane Street runs north to south, from Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, taking its name from Sir Hans Sloane, who purchased the surrounding area in 1712. Trevor Place, SW7 Trevor Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch
was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.