was originally laid out by S P Cockerell.
The Square was named in honour of King George III’s Queen, Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. While it was begun in 1804, it was not complete until 1825.
The Square and its garden were originally part of the Foundling Estate, a residential development of 1792–1825 built upon the surrounding fields and owned by the Foundling Hospital
The garden was laid out in 1810 as the centrepiece of the new square. The two acres are made up of formal lawns, gravel paths, mature plane trees and other ornamental trees.
Buildings on the eastern side of Mecklenburgh Square
were designed by architect Joseph Kay.
To the west is Coram’s Fields
, and to the east is Gray’s Inn
Road. Goodenough College
is a postgraduate residenceon the north and south sides of the square. Goodenough operates an academic-oriented hotel on the east side.