Scala Theatre

Theatre in/near Goodge Street, existed between 1772 and 1969

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52023 -0.13573, 51.52 -0.135) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Theatre · * · W1T ·
APRIL
22
2017

Scala Theatre was a theatre in London, sited on Charlotte Street, off Tottenham Court Road. The first theatre on the site opened in 1772, and was demolished in 1969, after being destroyed by fire.

The theatre began on this site as The New Rooms where concerts were performed, in Charlotte Street, in 1772, under the management of Francis Pasquali. Popularity, and royal patronage led to the building’s enlargement by James Wyatt, and its renaming as the King’s Concert Rooms (1780–1786). It then became Rooms for Concerts of Ancient Music and Hyde’s Rooms (1786–1802, managed by The Directors of Concerts and Ancient Music).

In 1802, a private theatre club, managed by Captain Caulfield, the "Pic-Nics" occupied the building and named it the Cognoscenti Theatre (1802–1808). It became the New Theatre (1808–1815, under Saunders and Mr J. Paul) and was extended and fitted out as a public theatre with a portico entrance, on Tottenham Street.

It continued under a succession of managers as the unsuccessful Regency Theatre (1815–1820), falling into decline. The theatre then reopened as the West London Theatre (1820–1831, under Brunton), Queen’s Theatre (1831–1833, 1835–1837, and again 1839-1865), and Fitzroy Theatre (1833–1835 and 1837–1839). The lessee of the theatre from 1843 to 1869 was a scenic artist, Charles James James, and the theatre became the home of lurid melodrama, being nicknamed The Dusthole.

In 1865, the theatre was renovated and named the ’Prince of Wales Royal Theatre’ and this continued until its demolition in 1903. The same year, in partnership with Henry Byron, Effie Marie Wilton assumed the management of the theatre, having secured as a leading actor Squire Bancroft. The house soon became noted for the successful domestic drama-comedies by Thomas William Robertson, including his series of groundbreaking realist plays.

In 1903, Dr. Edmund Distin Maddick bought the property, and adjoining properties, and enlarged the site. The main entrance was now situated on Charlotte Street, and the old portico, on Tottenham Street became the stage door. The new theatre, designed by Frank Verity, opened in 1905, as The Scala Theatre, seating 1,139 and boasting a large stage. The new venture was not particularly successful, however, and became a cinema from 1911–1918, run by Charles Urban. In 1918, F. J. Nettlefold took over and ran the premises as a theatre again.

It became known as the New Scala in 1923, with D.A. Abrahams as licensee for both staging plays and showing films, becoming owner in 1925. Amateur productions and pantomime were performed, and for a while the theatre became home to the Gang Show. During World War II, it again housed professional theatre, reverting to the Scala Theatre. After the war, under the management of Prince Littler, amateur productions returned, with Peter Pan being the annual pantomime. This continued until 1969 when, after a fire, it was demolished for the building of offices, known as Scala House. In 1964, the theatre was used by The Beatles for the concert sequences in the film A Hard Day’s Night. Today it is the site of an apartment block.


Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT


Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
All Souls Church All Souls Church is an evangelical Anglican church situated at the north end of Regent Street.
Fairyland During the period leading up to and during the First World War, 92 Tottenham Court Road was the location of a shooting range called Fairyland.
Scala Theatre Scala Theatre was a theatre in London, sited on Charlotte Street, off Tottenham Court Road. The first theatre on the site opened in 1772, and was demolished in 1969, after being destroyed by fire.

NEARBY STREETS
Adam and Eve Court, W1D The court was named for the nearby Adam and Eve tavern.
Adeline Place, WC1B Adeline Place was named after Adeline Marie Russell.
Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent.
Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred.
All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street.
Bainbridge Street, WC1A Bainbridge Street is a road in the WC1A postcode area
Bayley Street, WC1B Bayley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1B postal area.
Bedford Avenue, WC1B Bedford Avenue is one of the streets of London in the WC1B postal area.
Bedford Square, WC1B Bedford Square was designed as a unified architectural composition in 1775-6 by Thomas Leverton.
Bedford Way, WC1H Bedford Way is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Berners Mews, W1T Berners Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Place, W1T Berners Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Street, W1D William Berners completed building in 1763 what is today Berners Street.
Berners Street, W1T Berners Street runs from the junction of Oxford Street and Wardour Street to join up with Mortimer Street and the former Middlesex Hospital.
Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Bolsover Street, W1W Bolsover Street - home to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital since 1907.
Bourlet Close, W1W Bourlet Close is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Bromley Place, W1T Bromley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
BT Tower, W1T The BT Tower is a communications tower, previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower.
Byng Place, WC1E Byng Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Bywell Place, W1W Bywell Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Candover Street, W1W Candover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Capper Street, WC1E Capper Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Carburton Street, W1W Carburton Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Castlewood House, WC1A Residential block
Cavendish Place, W1G Cavendish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Charlotte Mews, W1T Charlotte Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Place, W1T Charlotte Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Street, W1T Charlotte Street was laid out in the mid 18th century on open fields.
Chenies Mews, WC1E Chenies Mews is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Chenies Street, WC1E Chenies Street takes its name from the Buckinghamshire village where since 1556 members of the Russell family have been buried.
Chitty Street, W1T Chitty Street runs between Charlotte Street and Whitfield Street.
Cleveland Street, W1T Cleveland Street is a location in London.
Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane.
Clipstone Mews, W1T Clipstone Mews is a road in the W1T postcode area
Clipstone Street, W1W Clipstone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Coach Road, W1T Coach Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Collingwood House, W1W Residential block
Colville Place, W1T Colville Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south.
Darwin Walk, WC1E Darwin Walk is a road in the WC1E postcode area
De Walden Court, W1W De Walden Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Duchess Street, W1W Duchess Street runs from Mansfield Street to Hallam Street, across Portland Place.
East Street, W1T East Street is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Eastcastle Street, W1D Eastcastle Street was originally called Castle Street East.
Eastcastle Street, W1T The portion of Eastcastle Street to the east of Wells Street originally belonged to the Berners Estate.
Evelyn Yard, W1T Evelyn Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Court, W1T Fitzroy Court is a road in the W1T postcode area
Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Square, W1T Fitzroy Square is one of the Georgian squares of London.
Fitzroy Street, W1T Fitzroy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Goodge Street, W1T Goodge Street was named after John Goodge a carpenter who along with his two nephews developed Crab Tree Fields to form Goodge Street in 1740.
Gordon Mansions, WC1E Gordon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury.
Gosfield Street, W1W Gosfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Gower Street, WC1E Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford.
Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, WC1E Grafton Way was formerly Grafton Street.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Greenwell Street, W1T Greenwell Street is a road in the W1T postcode area
Greenwell Street, W1W Greenwell Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Gresse Street, W1T Gresse Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hanson Street, W1W Hanson Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanway Place, W1T Hanway Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hanway Street, W1D Hanway Street was named after Major John Hanway.
Hanway Street, W1T Hanway Street is a location in London.
Howland Street, W1T Howland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Huntley Street, WC1E Huntley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east.
Langham Place, W1B Langham Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Langham Street, W1W Langham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Portland Street, W1W Little Portland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchen Street, W1W Little Titchen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchfield Street, W1W Little Titchfield Street is a road in the W1W postcode area
Malet Place, WC1E Malet Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area.
Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Maple Street, W1T This is a street in the 92103 postcode area
Margaret Court, W1W Margaret Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Margaret Street, W1B Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Margaret Street, W1G Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Margaret Street, W1W Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Marylebone Passage, W1W Marylebone Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Buildings, W1W Middleton Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Place, W1W Middleton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Midford Place, W1T Midford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Montague Place, WC1E Montague Place was developed in the decade after 1800.
Morley House, W1W Residential block
Mortimer Market, WC1E Mortimer Market is a road in the W1T postcode area
Mortimer Street, W1T Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Mortimer Street, W1T A street within the W1W postcode
Mortimer Street, W1W Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Mortimer Street, W1W Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Morwell Street, WC1B Morwell Street is a road in the WC1B postcode area
Nassau Street, W1W Nassau Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
New Cavendish Street, W1W New Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Newman Passage, W1T Newman Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Newman Street, W1T Newman Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
North Crescent, WC1E North Crescent is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Percy Street, WC1B Percy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Portland Place, W1B This is a street in the W1A postcode area
Princess House, W1D Residential block
Queen’s Yard, W1T Queen’s Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Rathbone Place, W1T Rathbone Place honours Captain Rathbone who was the builder of the road and properties thereon from 1718 onwards.
Rathbone Square, W1T Rathbone Square is a location in London.
Rathbone Street, W1T Rathbone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Ridgmount Gardens, WC1E Ridgmount Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ridgmount Street, WC1E Ridgmount Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards.
Salt Yard, W1T A street within the W1T postcode
Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
South Cloisters, WC1H South Cloisters is a road in the WC1H postcode area
Stephen Mews, W1T Stephen Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Stephen Street, W1T Stephen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Store Street, WC1E Store Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Thornhaugh Street, WC1B Thornhaugh Street is a street in London
Thornhaugh Street, WC1H Thornhaugh Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Torrington Place, WC1E Torrington Place was developed by James Sim in partnership with his two sons.
Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25, named after the father-in-law of the 6th Duke of Bedford.
Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile.
Tottenham Mews, W1T Tottenham Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Tottenham Street, W1T Tottenham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street.
University Street, WC1E University Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner.
Wells Mews, W1W Wells Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Place, W1T Whitfield Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south.
Windmill Street, W1T Windmill Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Woburn Square, WC1H Woburn Square is just north of the centre of Bloomsbury.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
BT Tower
TUM image id: 1481989234
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Transmission
TUM image id: 1509553463
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The British Library
TUM image id: 1482066417
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
BT Tower
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Prince of Wales Theatre in 1903 shortly before its demolition for the building of the Scala Theatre in 1904.
Credit: Caroline Blomfield
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road London circa 1905
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Transmission
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road (1927)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

10 Gower Street, Bloomsbury
Credit: Spudgun67
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road, W1T
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The March Of The Guards To Finchley - outside the Adam and Eve Tea Rooms.
Credit: William Hogarth
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Wells Street, W1
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Kemp’s Court is a small side street of Berwick Street Market and where a line of stalls stretch down both sides of the road
Credit: GoArt/The Underground Map
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page