Western Marble Arch Synagogue
Print-friendly version of this page
The Western Marble Arch
Synagogue is a Jewish place of worship in central London.
The WMA is the result of a merger between the Western and the Marble Arch
Synagogues, with the former congregation dating back to 1761. The Synagogue came into existence as a result of the successful merger between the Western Synagogue and the Marble Arch
Synagogue (founded in 1957).
The Westminster synagogue was founded in 1761 in Great Pulteney Street, Westminster. The congregation first met in the home of Wold Liepman, a prosperous immigrant merchant from St. Petersburg. A series of leased spaces followed until 1826 when the congregation built an elaborate synagogue in St. Alban’s Place, Haymarket and renamed itself The Western Synagogue.
The Marble Arch
Synagogue came into existence in 1957 under the auspices of the United Synagogue to replace the Great Synagogue which was destroyed by enemy action during the 2nd World War.
The merger in 1991 of these two great central London Synagogues, one being an Independent Synagogue and one being a part of the United Synagogue, was the first of its kind to have taken place in this country.
Church of the Annunciation The Church of the Annunciation, Marble Arch, is a Church of England parish church designed by Sir Walter Tapper. It is a Grade II* listed building. Churchill Hotel The Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill is a five star hotel located on Portman Square. Home House Home House is a Georgian town house at 20 Portman Square. Marble Arch Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch. Montagu House Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house. Odeon Marble Arch The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road. Orchard Court Orchard Court is an apartment block off of Portman Square in London. Known in French as Le Verger, it was used during the Second World War as the London base of F section of the Special Operations Executive (SOE). Somerset House, Park Lane Somerset House was an 18th-century town house on the east side of Park Lane, where it meets Oxford Street, in the Mayfair area of London. It was also known as 40 Park Lane, although a renumbering means that the site is now called 140 Park Lane. St Georges Fields St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road. Tyburn Tyburn was a village of Middlesex close to the current location of Marble Arch and the southern end of Edgware Road.
Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Bakers Mews, W1U Bakers Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Duke Street, W1U Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Dukes Mews, W1U Dukes Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Green Street, W1K Green Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Hinde Street, W1U Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer. Lees Place, W1K Lees Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. North Row, W1K North Row is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Oxford Street, W1C Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street, with around half a million daily visitors, and as of 2012 had approximately 300 shops. Picton Place, W1U Picton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Portman Square, W1H Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Cavendish Square to its east. Red Place, W1K Red Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Seymour Mews, W1H Seymour Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Woods Mews, W1K Woods Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.