Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill is situated in Portman Square
, part of the 270 acre estate which was granted in 1552 to Sir Henry William Portman, Lord Chief Justice to Henry VIII.
The hotel was built to a design by Stone, Toms & Partners, and was opened in 1970 by the Loews Hotel Group as The Churchill. The name was given by the hotel’s developer Sir Eric Miller, in recognition of Sir Winston Churchill.
In 1982 the hotel was purchased by the Hong Kong-registered Park Lane
Hotels International and in 1992 was taken over by the National Bank of Kuwait. In February 1998 the National Bank of Kuwait sold the property for $242 million to a Qatari Consortium, at which point Intercontinental Hotels took over its management, renaming it The Churchill Inter-Continental London.
Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced in February 2004 that it would assume full management of The Churchill and from 1 May 2004 the property was known as Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill.
Notable personalities hosted at The Churchill include Barack Obama on his 2008 pre-election Presidential Campaign, when he stayed, and met Middle-East envoy Tony Blair, at the hotel.
The Churchill, its decor, facilities and in-house outlets reference Sir Winston Churchill and the local area’s history.