Portman Square, W1H
Road in/near Marylebone, existing between 1765 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street
, which connects it to Cavendish Square
to its east.
It was built between 1765 and 1784 on land belonging to Henry William Portman. It included residences of Alexander Hamilton, 10th Duke of Hamilton, Sir Brook Bridges, 3rd Baronet, Henry Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne, George Keppel, 6th Earl of Albemarle, Sir Charles Asgill, 1st Baronet and William Henry Percy. Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife maintained his London residence at No. 15 Portman Square.
at the northwest corner was built by James Stuart for Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu. She used to give a roast beef and plum pudding dinner for chimney-sweeps and their apprentices on Mayday. One of them, David Porter, grew up to be a builder and named Montagu square in her honour.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Church of the Annunciation The Church of the Annunciation, Marble Arch, is a Church of England parish church designed by Sir Walter Tapper. It is a Grade II* listed building. Churchill Hotel The Hyatt Regency London - The Churchill is a five star hotel located on Portman Square. Home House Home House is a Georgian town house at 20 Portman Square. Marble Arch Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch. Montagu House Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house. Odeon Marble Arch The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road. Orchard Court Orchard Court is an apartment block off of Portman Square in London. Known in French as Le Verger, it was used during the Second World War as the London base of F section of the Special Operations Executive (SOE). Somerset House, Park Lane Somerset House was an 18th-century town house on the east side of Park Lane, where it meets Oxford Street, in the Mayfair area of London. It was also known as 40 Park Lane, although a renumbering means that the site is now called 140 Park Lane. Tyburn Tyburn was a village of Middlesex close to the current location of Marble Arch and the southern end of Edgware Road.
Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Bakers Mews, W1U Bakers Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Bird Street, W1U Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Brook Street, W1K Brook Street was named after the Tyburn Brook that formerly ran nearby, Bulstrode Street, W1U Bulstrode Street runs from Welbeck Street in the east to Thayer Street in the west. Davies Mews, W1K Davies Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Davis Street, W1K Davis Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Duke Street, W1K Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Duke Street, W1U Duke Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Dukes Mews, W1U Dukes Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Gees Court, W1U Gees Court is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Green Street, W1K Green Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Hinde Mews, W1U Hinde Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Hinde Street, W1U Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer. Holmes Place, W1U Holmes Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. James Street, W1U James Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Lees Place, W1K Lees Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. North Row, W1K North Row is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Oxford Street, W1C Oxford Street is Europe’s busiest shopping street, with around half a million daily visitors, and as of 2012 had approximately 300 shops. Picton Place, W1U Picton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Red Place, W1K Red Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Sedley Place, W1C Sedley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1C postal area. Seymour Mews, W1H Seymour Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Welbeck Street, W1G Welbeck Street has historically been associated with the medical profession. Welbeck Way, W1G Welbeck Way is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Woods Mews, W1K Woods Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street
and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary’s
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London’s mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street
and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.