Open space in/near , existing until now
Print-friendly version of this page
The Ballards estate was a major landholding to the east of Coombe.
Until the Reformation, this was called Prior Ballards. It then passed to the Leigh family of Addington.
In 1872, Charles Hermann Goschen, Lord Lieutenant of the City of London and brother of the prominent politician George Joachim Goschen, 1st Viscount Goschen, bought the estate and built a new mansion, demolishing the old building.
In the 1920s, the estate was donated to the trustees of the Warehousemen, Drapers, and Haberdashers’ School. The new school - now known as Royal Russell School
- was built to the side of the mansion and designed by Sir Aston Webb, architect of Imperial College.
Entrance to The Ballards (1913)
Old London postcard
Addington Hills is a park in Upper Shirley, London, England. It is managed by the London Borough of Croydon. It was part of the old parish of Addington before the suburb of Shirley was developed in the 1930s. The site consists largely of woodland on a gravel bed, with London