Swinton Street was named after the two Swinton brothers.
It is situated on the east side of Gray’s Inn Road north of and parallel with Acton Street
The Swinton Estate lay to the east of Gray’s Inn Road and extended to the River Fleet. Its northern boundary was a common sewer and its southern side was the back of the houses on the northern side of Frederick Street
James Swinton was a builder and surveyor from Gravesend. His brother Peter Swinton was listed in 1776 as residing in Salisbury Court, Fleet Street and a ’Doctor in Physick’.
Swinton Street was described on 7 September 1778, as "a street now building." Two years before that, it was a short cul-de-sac ending in a fence. The first occupants enjoyed a view down the meadows to the Fleet.
The extension eastwards began in the late 1830s. In 1841 there were 37 houses and by 1844 it was fully built.