Talbot Square, W2
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Talbot Square is a street in Paddington.
Abercorn Place, NW8 Abercorn Place is on the Harrow School Estate and is named after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, a governor of the school. Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Albert Court, SW7 Albert Court, a residential block for the "upper classes", was constructed in 1890. Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Beauchamp Place, SW3 Beauchamp Place was also the name of a 16th-century mansion of the Seymour family. Bolney Gate, SW7 Bolney Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Bute Street, SW7 Bute Street is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Cheval Place, SW7 Cheval Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Cottage Place, SW3 Cottage Place was the location of Brompton Road station on the Piccadilly Line before its closure. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Cromwell Gardens, SW7 Cromwell Gardens is a short but major road in South Kensington. It joins the Cromwell Road at the junction with Exhibition Road to the west with the Brompton Road to the east. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. First Street, SW3 First Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Gloucester Road, SW7 Gloucester Road is a main street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Glynde Mews, SW3 Glynde Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Hyde Park, W2 Hyde Park, as well as being a park, is an address for some park-located buildings Ives Street, SW3 Ives Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Jay Mews, SW7 Jay Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London. Montpelier Square, SW7 Montpelier Square is an upmarket residential garden square located in the Knightsbridge area. Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Palace Gate, W8 Palace Gate was previously part of Gloucester Road and developed in the 1860s Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Princes Gate, SW7 Princes Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Queens Gate, SW7 Queens Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Relton Mews, SW7 Relton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Rutland Gate, SW7 Rutland Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Stanhope Gardens, SW7 Stanhope Gardens was built in the 1860s in developments following the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Arcade, SW7 The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Thurloe Street, SW7 Thurloe Street is named for John Thurloe, said to have been given this land by Oliver Cromwell for services during the Commonwealth. Trevor Place, SW7 Trevor Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain. Yeomans Row, SW3 Yeomans Row is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area.
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.