Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone

Administrative area in/near Regent’s Park, existed between the 1900s and 1965

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.531 -0.158, 51.531 -0.158) 

Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Administrative area · * · NW1 ·
MARCH
15
2020

The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965.

It was based directly on the existing civil parish of St Marylebone, which had been incorporated into the Metropolitan Board of Works area in 1855. It then became part of the County of London in 1889.

It was that part of the current City of Westminster which is north of Oxford Street, and east of Maida Vale and Edgware Road.

The name is derived from a chapel, dedicated to St Mary, and founded by Barking Abbey, the holders of the Manor of Tyburn. The chapel was named St Mary-le-Bourne, for the River Tyburn.

In 1965 it was abolished and its former area was amalgamated with that of the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington and the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster to form the City of Westminster.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone coat of arms</SPAN>

Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone coat of arms

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965.

NEARBY STREETS
Alpha Close, NW1 Alpha Close was built on the site of Alpha Road.
Hanover Gate, NW8 Hanover Gate is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Mews, NW8 Hanover Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Terrace, NW1 Hanover Terrace is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Inner Circle, NW1 Inner Circle is a street in Camden Town.
Kent Terrace, NW1 Kent Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Outer Circle, NW1 Outer Circle is a street in Camden Town.
Outer Circle, NW8 Outer Circle is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Prince Albert Road, NW8 Prince Albert Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area


Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone

$The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965.

It was based directly on the existing civil parish of St Marylebone, which had been incorporated into the Metropolitan Board of Works area in 1855. It then became part of the County of London in 1889.

It was that part of the current City of Westminster which is north of Oxford Street, and east of Maida Vale and Edgware Road.

The name is derived from a chapel, dedicated to St Mary, and founded by Barking Abbey, the holders of the Manor of Tyburn. The chapel was named St Mary-le-Bourne, for the River Tyburn.

In 1965 it was abolished and its former area was amalgamated with that of the Metropolitan Borough of Paddington and the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster to form the City of Westminster.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Abbey lodge as it appeared on the 1872 Ordnance Survey map. It faces Park Road with Hanover Gate to its north and Hanover Terrace behind.
Credit: Crown Copyright (expired)
TUM image id: 1556886059
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone coat of arms
TUM image id: 1585912333
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page