Print-friendly version of this page
York Gate is a street in Camden Town.
Allsop Farm Allsop Farm stood on the north side of Marylebone Road. Baker Street Baker Street tube station is a station on the London Underground at the junction of Baker Street and the Marylebone Road. The station lies in Travelcard Zone 1 and is served by five different lines. It is one of the original stations of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the world’s first underground railway, opened in 1863. Regent’s Park Regent’s Park - not the park itself but the tube station. Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Ashland Place, W1U Alongside the cemetery of Marylebone ran Burying Ground Passage which was renamed Ashland Place in 1886. Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area. Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767. Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Moxon Street, W1U Moxon Street once went by the name of Paradise Street, at odds with its appearance. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Baker Street tube station is a station on the London Underground at the junction of Baker Street and the Marylebone Road. The station lies in Travelcard Zone 1 and is served by five different lines. It is one of the original stations of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the world’s first underground railway, opened in 1863.Baker Street
station was opened by the MR on 10 January 1863 (these platforms are now served by the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines). On 13 April 1868, the MR opened the first section of Metropolitan and St John’s Wood Railway as a branch from its existing route. This line, serving the open-air platforms, was steadily extended to Willesden Green and northwards, finally reaching Aylesbury Town and Verney Junction (some 50 miles/80 km from Baker Street
) in 1892.
Over the next few decades this section of the station was extensively rebuilt to provide four platforms. The current Metropolitan line layout largely dates from 1925, and the bulk of the surface buildings, designed by architect Charles Clark, also date from this period.
The Baker Street
& Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) opened on 10 March 1906; Baker Street
was the temporary northern terminus of the line until it was extended to Marylebone station on 27 March 1907.
The original station building stood on Baker Street
and served the tube platforms with lifts, but these were supplemented with escalators in 1914, linking the Metropolitan line and the Bakerloo line platforms by a new concourse excavated under the Metropolitan line.
On 20 November 1939, following the construction of an additional southbound platform and connecting tube tunnels between Baker Street
and Finchley Road stations, the Bakerloo line took over the Metropolitan line’s stopping services between Finchley Road and Wembley Park and its Stanmore branch. The current Bakerloo ticket hall and escalators to the lower concourse were provided in conjunction with the new service.
The Jubilee line added an extra northbound platform and replaced the Bakerloo line service to Stanmore from its opening on 1 May 1979.