Print-friendly version of this page
Barnet Bypass is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Barnet Gate Lane, EN5 Barnet Gate Lane runs from Barnet Road before its name changes to Mays Lane when it reaches Totteridge. Burrell Close, HA8 Burrell Close is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex. Farriers Way, WD6 Farriers Way was built on the site of the former Home of Rest for Horses. Hendon Wood Lane, NW7 Hendon Wood Lane leaves Highwood Hill to run north to the former Hertfordshire/Middlesex county boundary at Barnet Gate. Hyver Hill, EN5 Hyver Hill is an exclusive road off of the Barnet By Pass near Stirling Corner. Manor Way, WD6 Manor Way was one of the first new roads to be designed in the Boreham Wood Estate. Neagle Close, WD6 Neagle Close is named after Dame Anna Neagle (1904–1986), born Florence Marjorie Robertson, a popular English stage and film actress. Nicoll Way, WD6 Nicoll Way is an arterial road in the first LCC built in Boreham Wood. Oberon Close, WD6 Oberon Close is one of the roads built on the former MGM studios land. Percheron Road, WD6 Percheron Road like many roads on the site of the Home of Rest for Horses has an equine theme. Ripon Way, WD6 Ripon Way was planned as one of the main roads of the Laing Estate. Shetland Close, WD6 Shetland Close, like other roads on the ’Horses Home’ estate was named after a breed of horse. Studio Way, WD6 Studio Way is the main road through the Studio Estate in Borehamwood. York Crescent, WD6 York Crescent was created to connect industrial areas off of Elstree Way. York Way, WD6 York Way is the remnant of a service road which used to serve the MGM studios.
High Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.
High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.
The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.
The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.