Print-friendly version of this page
Glenhaven Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Albert Square, WD6 Albert Square is the fictional location of the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Allerton Close, WD6 Allerton Close, like Allerton Road, is named after a village in North Yorkshire. Allerton Road, WD6 Allerton Road is named after Allerton Mauleverer - a village in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire. Barnet Lane, WD6 Barnet Lane for centuries formed Hertfordshire’s boundary with Middlesex. Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s. Brodewater Road, WD6 Brodewater Road is a short road running between Broughinge Road and Hartforde Road. Brook Road, WD6 Brook Road is one of the main arteries in the northern part of Borehamwood. Chandos Road, WD6 Chandos Road was constructed upon a remaining field of Tilehouse Farm. Green Street, WD6 Green Street is the modern name for the road which runs through the area, north to south, and which connects Borehamwood with Shenley. Haddon Close, WD6 Haddon Close was one of a series of roads off Stratfield Road named after country estates. Markham Close, WD6 Markham Close was created out of the sale and subsequent demolition of Theobald Street houses. Shakespeare Drive, WD6 Shakespeare Drive, which was part of the former Furzehill School is part of a development by Persimmon Plc. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.
On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."
Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.
The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road