Station Road, Borehamwood, Herts.
Road in/near Borehamwood, existing between 1871 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village.
The first studios build were Whitehall Studios
built in 1928. This became a sound studio in 1929.
In 1929, Andrew Harkness first entered into the screen-manufacturing business with his 18-year-old son Tom, the business operating partly out of the Whitehall Studios
. His business rapidly grew and became hugely successful manufacturing woven screens and then washable woven screens. At one time the facility made the Guinness world record largest movie screen.
Nearly at the junction of Shenley Road
, there is a building with a ’chequered past’. It was originally built as a Baptist Chapel in 1894. Then it became the ’Gem’ cinema in 1914, where local people could watch themselves as extras in silent films made in their village. In the 1930s the local council used the building as offices and finally it became a public convenience before a florist business took over.
While always called Station Road, the road only became the site of the station at the turn of the millennium with the demolition of old cottages. An area dedicated to buses was built here.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Shakespeare Drive, WD6 Shakespeare Drive, which was part of the former Furzehill School is part of a development by Persimmon Plc. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Borehamwood is a town of approximately 30 000 residents in southern Hertfordshire, just outside London, and part of the London commuter belt.
Borehamwood, more commonly called Boreham Wood before the LCC estate was built, is part of the borough of Hertsmere. The town is often associated with the nearby village Elstree (being part of the ancient parish of Elstree), the two still share a local council, now called the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council.
The A1 passes just to the east of the town, and the M25 passes about two miles north of it.
Since the 1920s, the town has been the location of several film studios. The former British National Studios on Clarendon Road
are now the BBC’s Elstree Television Studios. One of BBC’s popular soaps, EastEnders, is produced at the BBC studios, as well as popular medical drama Holby City. ’Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’, ’Big Brother’ and major feature films are filmed at the Elstree Studios in Shenley Road