Aston Green, TW4

An area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before- in this area, buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.47578 -0.40251, 51.475 -0.402) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Hounslow West · TW4 ·
MARCH
28
2017

Aston Green is a road in the TW4 postcode area




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY STREETS
Badger Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Bloomsbury Court, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Burnham Gardens, TW4 Burnham Gardens is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Burnham Gardens, TW5 Burnham Gardens is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Byron Avenue, TW4 Byron Avenue is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Cedar Road, TW4 Cedar Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Chaucer Avenue, TW4 Chaucer Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Clevedon Gardens, TW5 Clevedon Gardens is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Dunstan’s Road, TW4 Dunstan’s Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Ermine Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Field Close, TW4 Field Close is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Grantley Road, TW4 Grantley Road is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Great South-West Road, TW4 This is a street in the TW4 postcode area
Haslemere Avenue, TW4 Haslemere Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Haslemere Heathrow Estate, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Jolly Waggoner Roundabout, TW5 Jolly Waggoner Roundabout is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Kevin Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Lancaster Place, TW4 Lancaster Place is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Lela Avenue, TW4 Lela Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Logistics, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Meadowbank Gardens, TW5 Meadowbank Gardens is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Mink Court, TW4 Mink Court is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Mornington Crescent, TW5 Mornington Crescent is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Musquash Way, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Parklands Parade, TW4 Parklands Parade is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Raccoon Way, TW4 Raccoon Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Rectory Court, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Rectory Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Regent Close, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
St Dunstans Road, TW4 St Dunstans Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
St. Dunstans Road, TW4 A street within the TW4 postcode
Stansfield Road, TW4 Stansfield Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Travellers Way, TW4 Travellers Way is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Vincent Road, TW4 Vincent Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Westwick Gardens, TW4 Westwick Gardens is a road in the TW4 postcode area
Windsor Road, TW4 Windsor Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Woodfield Road, TW4 Woodfield Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.


Hounslow West

Hounslow West was once the terminus of the London Underground Hounslow branch.

The original station was opened by the District Railway (now the District line) on 21 July 1884. It was originally named Hounslow Barracks since it was situated close to the Cavalry Barracks in Hounslow which were south of the station on Beavers Lane.

At first, the station was the terminus of a single track branch line from the now-closed Hounslow Town station on Hounslow High Street. This branch diverged from the main route about 300 metres east of the present Hounslow East station. When the branch opened there were no intermediate stations between this station and Osterley & Spring Grove (now called Osterley).

New stations were eventually opened and on 1 December 1925 Hounslow West, Hounslow Central and Hounslow East received their current station names. The branch had been electrified in 1905.

The original building was demolished and a new Stanley Heaps and Charles Holden-designed Hounslow West opened on 5 July 1931 on the Bath Road.

Piccadilly line services were extended to Hounslow West on 13 March 1933. District line services were progressively reduced to rush-hour services before final withdrawal on 9 October 1964.

In the 1970s, work began on an extension from Hounslow West to Heathrow Airport. As the Heathrow service required a new alignment, new platforms were brought into use underground in 1975.

Hounslow West is located on Bath Road about 600 metres from its junction with the Great West Road and Great South West Road.




LOCAL PHOTOS

Print-friendly version of this page