Aberdeen Place, NW8

Road in/near St John’s Wood, existing between 1823 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52545 -0.17522, 51.525 -0.175) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · * · NW8 ·
November
11
2018

Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571.

The farm was located in the former Lisson Manor and it was built over after 1823. The new street names derived from governors of Harrow School. Aberdeen Place was named after George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, who had gone to school at Harrow. He was Prime Minister between 1852 and 1855.

The farm had been held by the governors of the school. The profits from the agricultural side of the business helped with the maintenance of the Harrow Road between Harrow and London.




Main source: Category:Streets in the City of Westminster - Wikipedia
Further citations and sources




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Comment
The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Mar 2021 14:30 GMT   

Kilburn Park - opened 1915
Kilburn Park station was opened at the height of the First World War

Reply
Comment
The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Mar 2021 14:49 GMT   

A bit of a lift....
Kilburn Park was the first station to be designed around escalators, rather than lifts.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hyett’s hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper.
Paddington Fire Station Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road.

NEARBY STREETS
Adpar Street, W2 Adpar Street is a street in Paddington.
Alexandra Court, W9 Alexandra Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Ashbridge Street, NW8 Ashbridge Street is named after Arthur Ashbridge, District Surveyor for Marylebone between 1884–1918.
Bell Street, NW1 Bell Street is a street in Camden Town.
Bernhardt Crescent, NW8 Bernhardt Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Blomfield Road, W9 Blomfield Road is the road running beside the canal on the Little Venice side.
Boldero Place, NW8 Boldero Place is a location in London.
Boscobel Street, NW8 Boscobel Street is named after a nearby pub called the Royal Oak.
Braithwaite Tower, W2 Braithwaite Tower is a street in Paddington.
Broadley Street, NW8 Broadley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Browning Close, W9 Browning Close is named after two poets.
Capland Street, NW8 Capland Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Casey Close, NW8 Casey Close is a location in London.
Church Street Estate, NW8 Church Street Estate is a location in London.
Church Street, NW8 Church Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clarendon Gardens, W9 Clarendon Gardens is a street in Maida Vale.
Clarendon Terrace, W9 Clarendon Terrace is a street in Maida Vale.
Clifton Court, NW8 Clifton Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clifton Gardens, W9 Clifton Gardens is a road in the W9 postcode area
Clifton Road, W9 Clifton Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Clive Court, W9 Clive Court is a residential block upon Maida Vale.
Crompton Street, W2 Crompton Street is a street in Paddington.
Cropthorne Court, W9 Cropthorne Court is a road in the W9 postcode area
Cunningham Place, NW8 Cunningham Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Cuthbert Street, W2 Cuthbert Street is a street in Paddington.
Edward House, W2 Residential block
Elizabeth Close, W9 Elizabeth Close commemorates Elizabeth Barrett Browning, the poet.
Fisherton Street, NW8 Fisherton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Frampton Street, NW8 Frampton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Gable Lodge Road, NW8 A street within the NW8 postcode
Gateforth Street, NW8 Gateforth Street is a location in London.
Grendon Street, NW8 Grendon Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hall Place, W2 Hall Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Hamilton Close, NW8 Hamilton Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hatton Street, NW8 This is a street in the NW8 postcode area
Henderson Drive, NW8 Henderson Drive is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Howley Place, W2 Howley Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Jerome Crescent, NW8 Jerome Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lanark Place, W9 Lanark Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Lisson Grove, NW8 Lisson Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lodge Road, NW8 Lodge Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Luton Street, NW8 Luton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lyons Place, W2 Lyons Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Maida Avenue, W2 Maida Avenue is a street in Paddington.
Melina Place, NW8 Melina Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Miles Buildings, NW8 Miles Buildings is a street in Camden Town.
North Bank, NW8 North Bank is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Northwick Close, NW8 Northwick Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Northwick Terrace, NW8 Northwick Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Paddington Square, W2 Paddington Square is a location in London.
Park Place Villas, W2 Park Place Villas is a street in Paddington.
Penfold Street, NW8 Penfold Street is a street in Camden Town.
Penfold Street, NW8 Penfold Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Plympton Place, NW8 Plympton Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Randolph Crescent, W9 Randolph Crescent is a street in Maida Vale.
Randolph Mews, W9 Randolph Mews is a road in the W9 postcode area
Randolph Road, W9 Randolph Road is a road in the W9 postcode area
Ranston Street, NW1 Ranston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Regents Court, W9 Regents Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Rodney Court, W9 Rodney Court is a street in Maida Vale.
Salisbury Street, NW8 Salisbury Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Sandringham Court, W9 Sandringham Court is a residential block upon Maida Vale.
Scott Ellis Gardens, NW8 Scott Ellis Gardens is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St John’s Wood Road, NW8 St John’s Wood Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St Marys Mansions, W2 St Marys Mansions is a street in Paddington.
Stranraer Place, W9 Stranraer Place was a former name for the eastern section of Sutherland Avenue.
Swain Street, NW8 Swain Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Verulam Terrace, W9 Verulam Terrace is the former name for a section of the modern Hall Road.
Whitehaven Street, NW8 Whitehaven Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area


St John’s Wood

St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.

St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Fountains Abbey (2020)
TUM image id: 1583775118
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The 1807 Hyatt map
Credit: British Library
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

A GWR 4073 Class locomotive waits to depart Paddington Station, adjacent to Brunel’s cast-iron Bishop’s Bridge road bridge, in April 1962.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Ben Brooksbank
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Paddington Fire Station (c.1900)
Credit: London Metropolitan Archives
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page