Lodge Road, NW8

Road in/near St John’s Wood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52821 -0.17033, 51.528 -0.17) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · St John’s Wood · NW8 ·
July
25
2017

Lodge Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Paddington Fire Station Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey House, NW8 Abbey House 1a is a location in London.
Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571.
Alpha Close, NW1 Alpha Close was built on the site of Alpha Road.
Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799.
Bernhardt Crescent, NW8 Bernhardt Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Boldero Place, NW8 Boldero Place is a location in London.
Capland Street, NW8 Capland Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Casey Close, NW8 Casey Close is a location in London.
Cavendish Avenue, NW8 Cavendish Avenue is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Cavendish Close, NW8 Cavendish Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clarendon Terrace, W9 Clarendon Terrace is a street in Maida Vale.
Clifton Court, NW8 Clifton Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Cunningham Place, NW8 Cunningham Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Denning Close, NW8 Denning Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Elm Tree Road, NW8 Elm Tree Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Fisherton Street, NW8 Fisherton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Frampton Street, NW8 Frampton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Gable Lodge Road, NW8 A street within the NW8 postcode
Garden Road, NW8 Garden Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Gateforth Street, NW8 Gateforth Street is a location in London.
Greenberry Street, NW8 Greenberry Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Grendon Street, NW8 Grendon Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Grove End Road, NW8 Grove End Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hamilton Close, NW8 Hamilton Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Gate, NW8 Hanover Gate is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Mews, NW8 Hanover Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Terrace, NW1 Hanover Terrace is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Henderson Drive, NW8 Henderson Drive is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Jerome Crescent, NW8 Jerome Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Kent Passage, NW1 Kent Passage is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Kent Terrace, NW1 Kent Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Lisson Grove, NW8 Lisson Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lyons Place, W2 Lyons Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Mallory Street, NW8 Mallory Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Melina Place, NW8 Melina Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
North Bank, NW8 North Bank is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Northwick Close, NW8 Northwick Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Northwick Terrace, NW8 Northwick Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Outer Circle, NW8 Outer Circle is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Palgrave Gardens, NW1 Palgrave Gardens is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Park Road, NW1 Park Road is a street in Camden Town.
Park Road, NW8 Park Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Paveley Street, NW8 Paveley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Rossmore Road, NW1 Rossmore Road is a street in Camden Town.
Scott Ellis Gardens, NW8 Scott Ellis Gardens is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St John’s Wood Road, NW8 St John’s Wood Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St Johns Wood Road, NW8 St Johns Wood Road is a location in London.
St. John’s Hall Flats, NW8 St. John’s Hall Flats is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St. Johns Wood Road, NW8 St. Johns Wood Road is a location in London.
Swain Street, NW8 Swain Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Tresham Crescent, NW8 Tresham Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Wellington Place, NW8 Wellington Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Wellington Road, NW8 Wellington Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area


St John’s Wood

St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.

St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Abbey lodge as it appeared on the 1872 Ordnance Survey map. It faces Park Road with Hanover Gate to its north and Hanover Terrace behind.
Credit: Crown Copyright (expired)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The 1807 Hyatt map
Credit: British Library
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Lisson Green
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Allitsen Road, NW8 was named after Frances Allitsen, a songwriter. During the Boer War, she composed the then-popular ’There’s A Land’.
Credit: GoArt/The Underground Map
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Paddington Fire Station (c.1900)
Credit: London Metropolitan Archives
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page