Print-friendly version of this page
Broadley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Edgware Road Edgware Road station was a station on the world’s first underground railway. Hyett’s hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper. Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Ashbridge Street, NW8 Ashbridge Street is named after Arthur Ashbridge, District Surveyor for Marylebone between 1884–1918. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road
forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary’s
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London’s mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove
). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.