Print-friendly version of this page
Culworth Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Aberdeen Place, NW8 Aberdeen Place was built on the site of a farm once owned by John Lyon, who founded Harrow School in 1571. Adamson Road, NW3 Adamson Road is named after either a contractor or architect to Eton College. Ainger Road, NW3 Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park. Belsize Lane, NW3 Belsize Lane is a thoroughfare linking Rosslyn Hill with Swiss Cottage. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Hillfield Court Hillfield Court is a prominent art deco residential mansion block in Belsize Park, in the London Borough of Camden, built in 1934. Hillfield Court, NW3 Hillfield Court serves a prominent art deco residential mansion block of the same name in Belsize Park. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. McCrone Mews, NW3 McCrone Mews is a mews - formerly the location of a depot of the London Parcel Delivery Company. Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71. Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815. Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Rosslyn Hill, NW3 Rosslyn Hill is a road connecting the south end of Hampstead High Street to the north end of Haverstock Hill. Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.
St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.
After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.
Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.
St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.
St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.
The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire
. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.
St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street
and Finchley Road
when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road
) and Marlborough Road.
The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road
and Finchley Road
. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.
The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.