Chester Close South, NW1

Road in/near Euston

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52818 -0.14468, 51.528 -0.144) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Euston · NW1 ·
August
8
2017

Chester Close South is a road in the NW1 postcode area




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Adam and Eve Tearooms The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.
Regent’s Park Estate The Regent’s Park Estate is a large housing estate in the London Borough of Camden.
Rhodes Farm Rhodes Farm was situated on Hampstead Road.
St James Gardens St James Gardens were used as a burial ground between 1790 and 1853.

NEARBY STREETS
Albany Street, NW1 Albany Street runs from Marylebone Road to Gloucester Gate following the east side of Regent’s Park.
Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV).
Ampthill Square, NW1 Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.
Augustus House, NW1 Residential block
Augustus Street, NW1 Augustus Street - after Ernest Augustus, King of Hanover, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV).
Barnby Street, NW1 Barnby Street is a street in Camden Town.
Broadwalk, NW1 Broadwalk is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Brock Street, NW1 Brock Street was formerly called Henry Street.
Cambridge Gate Mews, NW1 Cambridge Gate Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cambridge Terrace Mews, NW1 Cambridge Terrace Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cambridge Terrace, NW1 Cambridge Terrace is a crescent off of the Outer Circle.
Cardington Street, NW1 Cardington Street is a rare London street in that it closed for good as late as 2017.
Centric Close, NW1 Centric Close is a street in Camden Town.
Chester Close North, NW1 Chester Close North is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Chester Court, NW1 Chester Court is a street in Camden Town.
Chester Gate, NW1 Chester Gate is a street in Camden Town.
Chester Road, NW1 Chester Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Chester Terrace, NW1 Chester Terrace is the longest unbroken facade of the neo-classical terraces in Regent's Park.
Church Studios, NW1 Church Studios is a street in Camden Town.
Clarence Gardens, NW1 Clarence Gardens is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Compton Close, NW1 Compton Close is a street in Camden Town.
Cumberland Market, NW1 Cumberland Market is a street in Camden Town.
Cumberland Terrace, NW1 Cumberland Terrace is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Drummond Street, NW1 Drummond Street was the original site of Euston Station.
Ernest Street, NW1 Ernest Street appears on the 1860 map as the name for part of Robert Street.
Euston Centre, NW1 Euston Centre is a street in Camden Town.
Euston Road, W1T Euston Road is a road in the W1T postcode area
Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road.
Everton Buildings, NW1 Everton Buildings is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Forge Place, NW1 Forge Place is a street in Camden Town.
Foundry Mews, NW1 Foundry Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
George Mews, NW1 George Mews lies within the NW1 postcode.
Granby Terrace, NW1 Granby Terrace was previously called Granby Street.
Hampstead Road, NW1 Hampstead Road connects the Euston Road with Camden.
Harrington Street, NW1 Harrington Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Hopkinsons Place, NW1 Hopkinsons Place is a street in Camden Town.
Hurdwick Place, NW1 Hurdwick Place is a street in Camden Town.
Inner Circle, NW1 Inner Circle is a street in Camden Town.
Laxton Place, NW1 Laxton Place is a street in Camden Town.
Little Albany Street, NW1 Little Albany Street is a street in Camden Town.
Longford Street, NW1 Longford Street is a street in Camden Town.
Lydford, NW1 Lydford is a street in Camden Town.
Millbrook Place, NW1 Millbrook Place is a street in Camden Town.
Munster Square, NW1 Munster Square is a street in Camden Town.
Nash Street, NW1 Nash Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Netley Street, NW1 Netley Street was formerly called William Street.
North Gower Street, NW1 North Gower Street is a street in Camden Town.
Osnaburgh Street, NW1 Osnaburgh Street is a street in Camden Town.
Park Square East, NW1 Park Square East lies north of Park Crescent and Marylebone Road.
Park Square West, NW1 Park Square West was built in 1823–24 by the architect John Nash.
Peto Place, NW1 Peto Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Prince Of Wales Passage, NW1 Prince Of Wales Passage is a street in Camden Town.
Prince Regent Mews, NW1 Prince Regent Mews is a street in Camden Town.
Redhill Street, NW1 Redhill Street is a street in Camden Town.
Robert Street, NW1 Robert Street is a street in Camden Town.
St Andrews Place, NW1 St Andrews Place is a street in Camden Town.
St Annes, NW1 St Annes is a street in Camden Town.
St Marks Square, NW1 St Marks Square is a street in Camden Town.
St Mary Magdalene Church, NW1 St Mary Magdalene Church is a street in Camden Town.
Stanhope Parade, NW1 Stanhope Parade is a street in Camden Town.
Stanhope Street, NW1 Stanhope Street is a street in Camden Town.
Stanley Buildings, NW1 Stanley Buildings is a street in Camden Town.
Starcross Street, NW1 Starcross Street is a street in Camden Town.
Swallowfield, NW1 Swallowfield is a street in Camden Town.
The Broadwalk, NW1 The Broadwalk is a road in the W1K postcode area
The Broadwalk, NW1 The Broadwalk is a road in the W1J postcode area
The Law Society Freepost, NW1 The Law Society Free post is a street in Camden Town.
Tolmers Square, NW1 Tolmers Square roughly covers the site of a reservoir of the New River Company.
Triton Mall, NW1 Triton Mall is a street in Camden Town.
Triton Square Mall, NW1 Triton Square Mall is a street in Camden Town.
Triton Square, NW1 Triton Square is a street in Camden Town.
Triton Street, NW1 Triton Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Troutbeck, NW1 Troutbeck is a street in Camden Town.
Varndell Street, NW1 Varndell Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Warren Court, NW1 Warren Court is a street in Camden Town.
William Road, NW1 William Road dates from 1799 or before.
William Street, NW1 William Street appears on the 1860 map west of Hampstead Road.


Euston

London Euston is the southern terminus of the West Coast Main Line - serving Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow.

Euston was the first inter-city railway station in London. It opened on 20 July 1837 as the terminus of the London and Birmingham Railway.

The site was selected in the early 1830s by George and Robert Stephenson, engineers of the London and Birmingham Railway. The area was then mostly farmland at the edge of the expanding city of London. The station was named after Euston Hall in Suffolk, the ancestral home of the Dukes of Grafton, who were the main landowners in the area.

Objections to the station by local farmers meant that, when the Act authorising construction of the line was passed in 1833, the terminus was relocated to Chalk Farm. However, these objections were overcome, and in 1835 an Act authorising construction of the station at its originally planned site was passed, and construction went ahead.

The original station was built by William Cubitt. It was designed by the classically trained architect Philip Hardwick and initially it had only two platforms, one for departures and one for arrivals. Also designed by Hardwick was a 72 foot-high Doric propylaeum, the largest ever built, erected at the entrance as a portico and which became known as the Euston Arch.

The station grew rapidly over the following years as traffic increased. It was greatly expanded in the 1840s, with the opening in 1849 of the spectacular Great Hall, designed by Hardwick's son Philip Charles Hardwick in classical style.

In the early 1960s it was decided that a larger station was required. Because of the restricted layout of track and tunnels at the northern end, enlargement could be accomplished only by expanding southwards over the area occupied by the Great Hall and the Arch. Amid much public outcry, the station building including the Arch was demolished in 1961-2 and replaced by a new building. Its opening in 1968 followed the electrification of the West Coast Main Line.

A few remnants of the older station remain: two Portland stone entrance lodges and a war memorial. A statue of Robert Stephenson by Carlo Marochetti, previously in the old ticket hall, stands in the forecourt.

On 12 May 1907 the City and South London Railway (C&SLR, now the Bank branch of the Northern Line) opened a station at Euston as the terminus of a new extension from its existing station at Angel.


LOCAL PHOTOS
BT Tower
TUM image id: 1481989234
Licence: CC BY 2.0
St. James Gardens
Credit: Google
TUM image id: 1530005129
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Grotto Passage
Credit: Wiki Commons
TUM image id: 1604231019
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Beaumont Street (2014)
Credit: Philafrenzy/Wiki Commons
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Camden Town, from the Hampstead Road, Marylebone (1780)
Credit: Old and New London: Volume 5 (1878)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Mornington Crescent, northwest quadrant (1904). The view includes no.31 where Spencer Gore rented a room between 1909–12.
Credit: Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The March Of The Guards To Finchley - outside the Adam and Eve Tea Rooms.
Credit: William Hogarth
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

This painting bears the inscription: All that remained in the year 1844 of the once celebrated Rhobess Farm, Hampstead Road now Ampthill Square
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page