The back gardens of Hazelbank Road (1915)
Image dated 1915
The back gardens of Hazelbank Road (1915)
Print-friendly version of this page
The view from the rear of 133 Hazelbank Road in Lewisham across Shroffold’s Farm, 1915
While London seems to have surburbanised quickly between the world wars, it actually grew in sudden spurts between housing slumps. There were many slowdowns in building in the nineteenth century and, after the Wall Street crash, a slowdown in the twentieth century too.Licence:
Sometimes building speculation would part build an area, leaving gaps for a decade or two where the old farms would carry on.
This was true for areas now considered part of inner London such as Lewisham. Hazelbank Road stretched southwest-northeast but Shroffold’s Farm was still a going concern at the back of the new housing.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The view from the rear of no 133 Hazelbank Road across Shroffold’s Farm, 1915.
User unknown/public domain
Ardoch Road, SE6 Ardoch Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Arngask Road, SE6 Arngask Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Baudwin Road, SE6 Baudwin Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Benin Street, SE13 Benin Street was built over the lands of the former Hope Cottage in the late 1890s. Duncrievie Road, SE13 The sale of North Park Farm in 1896 caused its farm track to be built upon and named Duncrievie Road. Fordel Road, SE6 Fordel Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Hexal Road, SE6 Hexal Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Manor Lane, SE12 Manor Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE12 postal area. Minard Road, SE6 Minard Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Mordred Road, SE6 Mordred Road is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Stable Mews, SE6 Stable Mews is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area. Verdant Lane, SE6 Verdant Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.