In the 1920s and 30s new housing estates sprang up in Neasden and Oxgate, which brought thousands of people into the area. In the early 20s the North Circular Road
was cut through the middle of the parish, and towards the end of that decade the Nicol Estate was built on its north side, and the Brentwater Estate on its other side. Braintcroft School was opened in 1928, and Wykeham School in 1930.
Neasden Golf Course began to be eaten away in 1926, and in 1929 the contents of the clubhouse were auctioned off. Within a year the golf course was covered by the houses of the “Dollis Park” estate to its eastern boundary at Vincent Gardens
. The last country landmark in Neasden Lane
, Jackman’s Forge, disappeared to make room for the new shopping parade. A new church hall for St Catherine’s Church was opened in 1928, and the old parish room which had been built in 1907 was demolished.
At the turn of the decade Neasden Recreation Ground was formed, then Neasden Library was built on the corner of Aboyne Road and the North Circular Road
, opening in 1931. In 1930 the rear part of Neasden House was demolished to make way for Cairnfield Avenue
, and the front part was converted into flats. In the early 1930s Neasden Shopping Centre was completed after Elmsted park estate, which lay between Neasden Lane
, Dog Lane and the North Circular Road
, was built on. At the junction of Neasden Lane
and Dudden Hill Lane
, Neasden Green, which had been getting smaller and smaller as the roads were widened, disappeared when Neasden Lane
was bent back to meet Dudden Hill Lane
at right angles opposite the new Tanfield Avenue
. The playing fields south of Dollis Hill Lane
was sold in the early 1930s to builders, including one called Lennox after whose family at least one and possibly three of the roads were named.
A new vicarage was built for St Catherine’s Church in Tanfield Avenue
when it became the parish church of Neasden-cum-Kingsbury in 1932 in place of Old St Andrew’s, Kingsbury. The land north of West Way, Aboyne Road and the North Circular Road
was incorporated in the new parish. The Ritz Cinema was built on the site of Neasden Cricket Club, opening in 1935. The cricket club moved to new land in Kingsbury. In 1938 the remainder of Neasden House was demolished and replaced by four blocks of flats named Clifford Court.
At the beginning of the Second World War an Emergency War Headquarters was set up at the General Post Office’s research station at Dollis Hill, where the War Cabinet could meet. And a citadel was built for the Admiralty on the corner of Oxgate Lane
and the Edgware Road. The nearby block of flats called Neville Court was requisitioned to provide accommodation for Admiralty staff and Government officials. Two flats in it were knocked together for the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill and his secretaries.