Whielden Street, Amersham, Bucks.

Road in/near Amersham, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.66529 -0.61694) 

Whielden Street, HP7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Amersham · HP7 ·
JANUARY
19
2018

Whielden Street is the only street with this name in the UK.

Whielden Street either took its name from the 14th-century William de Whildene or from the Anglo-Saxon “Hwael” meaning “Curve” and “Dene” meaning “Valley” – “Whielden” meaning a curving valley. It road is part of the old Reading turnpike, the Judges’ Assize road from Reading to Hatfield, and as such must have been used for many centuries.

The Amersham Hospital was at one time the Union Workhouse and Whielden Street was sometimes called Union Street in the 19th century, named after the Workhouse for the Amersham Union of Parishes, built in 1838.

There are a number of 17th century houses in the road.

At the top of Whielden Street was once the Market Square but now is part of the High Street.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Laying a new gas main in Whielden Street, Amersham (1910).

Laying a new gas main in Whielden Street, Amersham (1910).
George Ward/Amersham Museum

NEARBY STREETS
Badminton Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Badminton House, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Broadway Close, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Broadway, HP7 Broadway is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Bury Farm, HP7 Bury Farm is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Cherry Lane, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Church Street, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Diamond Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Fieldway, HP7 Fieldway is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Flint Barn Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Forge End, HP7 Forge End is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Gilbert Scott Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Gilbert Scott Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Gore Hill, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Hervines Road, HP6 Hervines Road is a road in the HP6 postcode area
High Street, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Hill Farm, HP5 A street within the HP7 postcode
Hillway, HP7 Hillway is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Lane, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Longfield Drive, HP6 Longfield Drive is a road in the HP6 postcode area
Longfield Drive, HP7 Longfield Drive is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Market Square, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Mill Lane, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Morley House Badminton Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Piggotts End, HP7 Piggotts End is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Piggotts Orchard, HP7 Piggotts Orchard is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Pondwicks, HP7 Pondwicks runs off of School Lane in Amersham.
Rectory Drive, HP7 Rectory Drive is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Rectory Hill, HP7 Rectory Hill is a road in the HP7 postcode area
Rectory Way, HP7 Rectory Way is a road in the HP7 postcode area
River Lodge 6 Badminton Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
School Lane, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Stevens Way, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
The Broadway, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
The Lodge Badminton Court, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
The Platt, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Thornhill Close, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Whielden Close, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Whielden Green, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode
Whielden Heights, HP7 A street within the HP7 postcode


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.
Print-friendly version of this page