Print-friendly version of this page
Maylands was already in existence by 1420 and then called Mellonde.
Maylands was part of the manor of Dagenhams as early as the 13th century, although it was let out on lease. Two fields beside the Brentwood Road were called Little and Great Dellams were known in the Middle Ages.
Around 1610, Maylands was leased to John Wright of Wright’s Bridge.
In 1919, the tenant was Mr G. Gotheridge and the annual rent was £262, He purchased the farm that the same year.
During the 1930s, a civil aerodrome was built on the farm, which was run by a Mr Hillman, who organised aeroplane flights at 5/- a time. After the war, the farm was not acquired by the LCC. because it was outside the area of the housing estate.
By the turn of the twenty first century, the old farm buildings were the headquarters of The Maylands Golf Club.
Harold Park lies to the east of Greater London, straddling the tracks of the Elizabeth Line.
In 1868 a wealthy Brentwood solicitor built a mansion to the south of the River Ingrebourne and railway line, named Harold Court. The owner went bankrupt and the house became in turn a children’s home, a lunatic asylum and then a sanatorium. In 1959 it became a teacher training college and is now private flats.
Horse Block Farm lay to the north-east of Harold Court Road. After the First World War, Essex builders Iles and Company laid out a bungalow estate and called it ’Sunnytown’.
Harold Court primary school opened in 1929.
A riverside industrial estate that was created after the Second World War on the site of a brickworks.