Pannells Court, TW5

An area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.48559 -0.3738, 51.485 -0.373) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Heston · TW5 ·
MAY
17
2020

A street within the TW5 postcode




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY STREETS
Banks Yard, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Banksyard, TW5 Banksyard is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Bellamy House, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Biscoe Close, TW5 Biscoe Close is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Bostock House, TW5 Residential block
Central Parade, TW5 Central Parade is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Chrislea Close, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Church Road, TW5 Church Road is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Devon Waye, TW5 Devon Waye is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Dorset Waye, TW5 Dorset Waye is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Eaton Avenue, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Eldon Avenue, TW5 Eldon Avenue is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Eton Avenue, TW5 Eton Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Fenton House, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Ferraro Close, TW5 Ferraro Close is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Grange Close, TW5 Grange Close is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Heston Grange Lane, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Heston Grange, TW5 Heston Grange is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Heston Industrial Mall, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Heston Road, TW5 Heston Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Heston Scout Group, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Hogarth Court, TW5 Hogarth Court is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Hogarth Gardens, TW5 Hogarth Gardens is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Hopes Close, TW5 Hopes Close is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Houstoun Court, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Hunting Place, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
Memorial Close, TW5 Memorial Close is a road in the TW5 postcode area
New Heston Road, TW5 New Heston Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
North Hyde Lane, TW5 North Hyde Lane is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Old Cote Drive, TW5 Old Cote Drive is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Oxford Avenue, TW5 Oxford Avenue is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Sonia Gardens, TW5 Sonia Gardens is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Spooner House, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
St. Giles Close, TW5 A street within the TW5 postcode
The Croft, TW5 The Croft is a road in the TW5 postcode area
The Green, TW5 The Green is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
The Warren, TW5 The Warren is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Walnut Tree Road, TW5 Walnut Tree Road is a road in the TW5 postcode area
West Park Close, TW5 West Park Close is a road in the TW5 postcode area
Westbrook Road, TW5 Westbrook Road is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Wheatlands, TW5 Wheatlands is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Winchester Avenue, TW5 Winchester Avenue is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Worthing Road, TW5 Worthing Road is a road in the TW5 postcode area


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Dutch Canal, 1899
TUM image id: 1557403997
Licence: CC BY 2.0

Print-friendly version of this page