Theobald Street, looking north

Image dated 1950

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Photo taken in a northerly direction · Elstree and Borehamwood · WD6 ·

This image probably dates from the 1950s.

Theobald Street, looking north
Immediately to the right of the photo we see ’The Crown’, a pub situated at the Shenley Road/Theoald Street junction until the 2010s - replaced by a supermarket in the same building.

The war memorial was deemed too much of an obstruction to traffic and so was moved to the junction of Shenley Road and Elstree Way later.

The building behind the war memorial is the original building of ’The Crown’, demolished in 2020 despite listed building protection.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Theobald Street, looking north
User unknown/public domain


Elstree and Borehamwood

Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.

On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."

Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.

The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road.
Print-friendly version of this page