Print-friendly version of this page
The walkway between Gallery Road
and College Road
has had many names.
There was a medieval field system between the two roads. In 1989, the Museum of London carried out an exploratory dig here to verify this. Amongt the fields, a path became known as Lovers Lane or Pensioners’ Walk.Licence:
In 1768 the right of way received an official name - The Grove. Grove Field lay on its south side.
Lover’s Walk had become its informal name by 1876 - in May that year, a news report recorded an incident here. In 2012, the Dulwich Estate agreed to calls for Lover’s Walk to be the formal name.
For cyclists it has yet another name - it is part of the Traylen Trail.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Alleyn Crescent, SE21 Alleyn Crescent is a twentieth century development running between Alleyn Road and Alleyn Park. Alleyn Road, SE21 Alleyn Road is named for Edward Alleyn, actor and local benefactor. Beckwith Road, SE24 Beckwith Road was named after William Beckwith Towse, who, as trustee of this estate, was responsible for laying out the building plots. Burbage Road, SE21 Burbage Road is named for the Elizabethan actor Richard Burbage, near contemporary of Edward Alleyn. Calton Avenue, SE21 Calton Avenue was named for Thomas Calton who bought Dulwich Manor in 1544. Carson Road, SE21 Carson Road is one of the streets of London in the SE21 postal area. Church Approach, SE21 Church Approach - the connecting road between Alleyn Road and South Croxted Road - leads to Emmanuel Church. Clive Road, SE21 Clive Road is one of the streets of London in the SE21 postal area. College Road, SE21 College Road was named in 1876 after the opening of the new Dulwich College Road. Dekker Road, SE21 Dekker Road was called after Thomas Dekker, poet and dramatist, and contemporary of Edward Alleyn. Desenfans Road, SE21 Desenfans Road was named in honour of benefactors of Dulwich Picture Gallery, Margaret and Noel Desenfans. Elmworth Grove, SE21 Elmworth Grove is part of a Council-built estate on the north side of Park Hall Road, west of Croxted Road. Frank Dixon Way, SE21 Frank Dixon Way was named after a Dulwich Estates and College Governor of the 1930s. Gallery Road, SE21 Gallery Road links Dulwich village to Dulwich Common, taking its name from the Dulwich Picture Gallery. Gilkes Crescent, SE21 Gilkes Crescent was named in memory of Arthur Herman Gilkes, Master of Dulwich College 1885-1914. Great Spilmans, SE22 Great Spilmans is a modern name for a road that lies south of East Dulwich Grove between Gilkes Crescent and Calton Avenue. Green Dale, SE22 Green Dale’s southern section was originally a grassy lane, probably of great antiquity, leading to the old parish church of St Giles, Camberwell. Ildersly Grove, SE21 Ildersly Grove is believed to be a mis-spelling of the surname of Thomas Iddersleigh, one time Secretary of the Crystal Palace Company. Lings Coppice, SE21 Lings Coppice is a modern road with a name first mentioned in a survey done for Henry VIII in 1542-43. Little Bornes, SE21 Little Bornes is a modern development in Alleyn Park, south of Kingsdale School. Pond Cottages, SE21 Pond Cottages were first mentioned as ’Millpond Cottages’ in 1791, when leased to William Oxlade. Pond Mead, SE21 Pond Mead takes its name from Pond House (formerly Pond Place). Roseway, SE21 Roseway was built after the First World War by the Estates Governors’ Cottage Building Scheme on a field used by Causton’s Athletic Club. Ryecotes Mead, SE21 Ryecotes Mead was indirectly named for John and Cristina de Reygate, a couple from the 14th century. Steen Way, SE22 Steen Way is named after the 17th century artist, Jan Steen. Terborch Way, SE22 Terborch Way was named after a Deventer, Netherlands-based 17th century artist, Gerard Terborch. Thorncombe Road, SE22 Thorncombe Road was constructed on the line of an old footpath leading from East Dulwich Grove to Dulwich. Woodyard Lane, SE21 Woodyard Lane once led to a Dulwich Estates woodyard at the end of the lane.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.