Ballards Plantation

Open space in/near , existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.35888 -0.06692) 

Ballards Plantation

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Open space · · CR9 ·
September
22
2020

The Ballards estate was a major landholding to the east of Coombe.

Until the Reformation, this was called Prior Ballards. It then passed to the Leigh family of Addington.

In 1872, Charles Hermann Goschen, Lord Lieutenant of the City of London and brother of the prominent politician George Joachim Goschen, 1st Viscount Goschen, bought the estate and built a new mansion, demolishing the old building.

In the 1920s, the estate was donated to the trustees of the Warehousemen, Drapers, and Haberdashers’ School. The new school - now known as Royal Russell School - was built to the side of the mansion and designed by Sir Aston Webb, architect of Imperial College.


Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources



Entrance to The Ballards (1913)

Entrance to The Ballards (1913)
Old London postcard


Addington Hills

$http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addington_Hills

Addington Hills is a park in Upper Shirley, London, England. It is managed by the London Borough of Croydon. It was part of the old parish of Addington before the suburb of Shirley was developed in the 1930s. The site consists largely of woodland on a gravel bed, with London
Print-friendly version of this page