Abbey Lodge

Large house in/near Regent’s Park, existed between 1825 and 1928

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52794 -0.16474, 51.527 -0.164) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Large house · Regent’s Park · ·
July
12
2012
The block of flats called Abbey Lodge was not the first Abbey Lodge on the site.

In 1928, about one hundreds years after it was first built, the original Abbey Lodge was torn down and a modern block of the same name took its place.

It was built by Decimus Burton. In 1845, it became the property of Elizabeth Gurney and German aristocrat Freiherr von Bunsen. It has been given to the bride as a wedding present from her father, Samuel Gurney, who ran the Norwich bank which supported the Quaker movement.

The couple lived there until 1903 and, on their deaths, the house passed to Emil Fuchs, an Austrian painter and sculptor who was a family friend. The property had been built with a 99 year lease and in 1911 he sold the remainder of the lease back to the von Bunsen's eldest daughter.

With property needs changing, in 1928 the original Abbey Lodge was demolished and replaced.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT


Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone The Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone was a Metropolitan borough of the County of London from 1900 to 1965.

NEARBY STREETS
Alpha Close, NW1 Alpha Close was built on the site of Alpha Road.
Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799.
Bernhardt Crescent, NW8 Bernhardt Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Boldero Place, NW8 Boldero Place is a location in London.
Boston Place, NW1 Boston Place is a street in Camden Town.
Broadley Terrace, NW1 Broadley Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Capland Street, NW8 Capland Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Casey Close, NW8 Casey Close is a location in London.
Cavendish Close, NW8 Cavendish Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Chagford House, NW1 Residential block
Gable Lodge Road, NW8 A street within the NW8 postcode
Gateforth Street, NW8 Gateforth Street is a location in London.
Grendon Street, NW8 Grendon Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Gate, NW8 Hanover Gate is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Mews, NW8 Hanover Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hanover Terrace, NW1 Hanover Terrace is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Huntsworth Mews, NW1 Huntsworth Mews is a street in Camden Town.
Ivor Court, NW1 Ivor Court is a street in Camden Town.
Ivor Place, NW1 Ivor Place is a street in Camden Town.
Jerome Crescent, NW8 Jerome Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Kent Passage, NW1 Kent Passage is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Kent Terrace, NW1 Kent Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Linhope Street, NW1 Linhope Street is a street in Camden Town.
Lisson Grove, NW8 Lisson Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lodge Road, NW8 Lodge Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Luton Street, NW8 Luton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Mallory Street, NW8 Mallory Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
North Bank, NW8 North Bank is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Outer Circle, NW1 Outer Circle is a street in Camden Town.
Outer Circle, NW8 Outer Circle is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Palgrave Gardens, NW1 Palgrave Gardens is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Park Road, NW1 Park Road is a street in Camden Town.
Park Road, NW8 Park Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Paveley Street, NW8 Paveley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Plympton Place, NW8 Plympton Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Rossmore Road, NW1 Rossmore Road is a street in Camden Town.
St Johns Wood Road, NW8 St Johns Wood Road is a location in London.
St. Johns Wood Road, NW8 St. Johns Wood Road is a location in London.
Sussex Place, NW1 Sussex Place is a street in Camden Town.
Swain Street, NW8 Swain Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Taunton Place, NW1 Taunton Place is a street in Camden Town.
Tresham Crescent, NW8 Tresham Crescent is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Wellington Place, NW8 Wellington Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area


Regent’s Park

Regent’s Park - not the park itself but the tube station.

Regent’s Park tube station is a London Underground station near to Regent’s Park, located on Marylebone Road between the two arms of Park Crescent.

The station was opened on 10 March 1906 by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR); In the original parliamentary authority for the construction of the BS&WR no station was allowed at Regent’s Park. Permission was granted to add it to the already partially constructed line in 1904.

Because of this same rule and unlike most of the BS&WR’s other stations, Regent’s Park has no surface buildings and is accessed from a subway.

The station is served by lifts - there is also a staircase which can be used and which has 96 steps.

Great Portland Street station is within easy walking distance for interchanges to the Circle and Metropolitan lines.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Abbey lodge as it appeared on the 1872 Ordnance Survey map. It faces Park Road with Hanover Gate to its north and Hanover Terrace behind.
Credit: Crown Copyright (expired)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Metropolitan Borough of St Marylebone coat of arms
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Baker Street station (1890)
Credit: Bishopsgate Institute
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Lisson Green
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Allitsen Road, NW8 was named after Frances Allitsen, a songwriter. During the Boer War, she composed the then-popular ’There’s A Land’.
Credit: GoArt/The Underground Map
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page