Heathcote Street, WC1N
Heathcote Street is in the north-east corner of the Foundling Hospital estate, leading from St George’s Gardens to Gray’s Inn Road.

It was named after Michael Heathcote, Governor of the Foundling Hospital from 1810

A gate once stood here to bar access to Mecklenburgh Square, in an attempt by the estate to make this a more desirable residential area.

Its remaining houses were mainly destroyed in the Second World War

return to article