Charlotte Mews, W1T

Road in/near Fitzrovia

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52065 -0.13626, 51.52 -0.136) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Fitzrovia · W1T ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Charlotte Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.

0
A lot of the street information research on this website is academic in nature - from university research, the Survey of London, British History Online, borough conservation areas and more. Occasionally, the Hive Mind comes up trumps - these derivations come from discoveries on the Wikipedia made during 2019 which is feeding into the project.

If we find any derivations dubious here, we remove them. With that proviso, the TUM project provides them here for your enjoyment...

A-B-C D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V W-X-Y-Z

Sackville Street - after Captain Edward Sackville, tenant of a house on the west side of the street in 1675; it was formerly known as Stone Conduit Close [Mayfair]
Saffron Hill – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Saffron Street – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Salisbury Court and Salisbury Square – after the London house of the bishops of Salisbury, located here prior to the Reformation [City of London]
Salisbury Place – after the Salisbury brothers (Isaac, John and Thomas), local 18th century builders [Marylebone]
Salisbury Street – Broadley Street near here was formerly Earl Street, and the surrounding streets were given earldom-related names in the early 19th century; this was named for the Earls of Salisbury [Lisson Grove]
Salter’s Hall Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, destroyed in the Blitz [City of London]
Salters Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, moved in 1600 [City of London]
Sancroft Street – after William Sancroft, 79th Archbishop of Canterbury, by association with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Vauxhall]
Sanctuary Street – as the local mint formerly here claimed the local area as a sanctuary for debtors [Southwark]
Sandell Street – after one Mr Sandell, who owned wharehouses here in the 1860s [Waterloo]
Sandwich Street – after Sandwich in Kent, home county of local 16th century landowner Andrew Judd [Bloomsbury]
Sandy’s Row – after a builder or property owner of this name [City of London]
Sans Walk – after Edward Sans, named in 1893 as he was then oldest member of the local parish vestry [Clerkenwell]
Saracens Head Yard – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sardinia Street – after the embassy of the Kingdom of Sardinia and its associated chapel, formerly located on the site of a nearby demolished street of the same name [Holborn]
Saunders Road Uxbridge Street built near the site of the former RAF Uxbridge, and named after an air marshal in the Second World War. Hugh Saunders was Chief of Staff for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Savage Gardens – after Thomas Savage, who owned a house here in the 1620s [City of London]
Savile Row – after Dorothy Savile, Countess of Burlington and Countess of Cork, wife of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington, local landowner [Mayfair]
Savoy Buildings – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Court – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Hill – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Place Westminster Peter II, Count of Savoy Gave his name to the Savoy Palace, which stood on the site of the road
Savoy Row – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Steps – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Street – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Way – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Sawyer Street – after Bob Sawyer, a character in the novel The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Scoresby Street – unknown; formerly York Street [Southwark]
Scotland Place – site of a house used by visiting monarchs of Scotland until the 13th century [Westminster]
Scovell Crescent – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Scovell Road – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Seaford Street – thought to be named for Seaford in Sussex [Bloomsbury]
Seaforth Place – after Seaforth in Scotland, by association with the London Scottish (regiment) formerly bases nearby [Westminster]
Sebastian Street – after Lewis Sebastian, former Master of the Worshipful Company of Skinners and chairman of the governors of Northampton Polytechnic (now City University) [Clerkenwell]
Secker Street - after Thomas Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury 1758-68, by connection with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Waterloo]
Sedding Street – after John Dando Sedding, designer of the nearby Holy Trinity, Sloane Street church [Belgravia]
Sedley Place – named after Angelo Sedley, local 19th century furniture salesman [Mayfair]
Seething Lane – formerly Shyvethenestrat and Sivethenelane, deriving from Old English sifetha, meaning chaff/siftings, after the local corn threshing [City of London]
Sekforde Street – after Thomas Seckford, Elizabethan court official, who left land nearby in his will for the building of an almshouse [Clerkenwell]
Selwyn Avenue Richmond upon Thames William Selwyn Owned, and lived near, the land on which the road was later built; contributed to the founding of nearby church St John the Divine, Richmond.
Semley Place – after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), who owned a property called Semley [Belgravia]
Serjeants Inn – after the former Serjeant's Inn located here before the Blitz [City of London]
Serle Street – after Henry Serle, who built the street in the 1680s [Holborn]
Sermon Lane – thought to be after Adam la Sarmoner, 13th century landowner [City of London]
Serpentine Walk - as it leads to The Serpentine lake in Hyde Park [Belgravia]
Seven Dials and Seven Dials Court – after the seven dials on the sundial column, and the seven adjoining streets; laid out by Thomas Neal in 1693 [Covent Garden]
Seven Dials WC2 - The work of building Seven Dials had begun in 1693, on what was then called Cock-and-pie Fields taken from a nearby inn. Thomas Neale undertook the task of making a great junction, and, in the centre he erected a pillar with seven dials, one for each of the streets at the junction. In 1733 the pillar was taken down as there was believed to be a fortune lodged at the base, but no money was found, and the pillar was transported to Weybridge in Surrey. Good news it was returned to the original spot just a couple of years ago.
Seville Street – unknown; it was formerly Charles Street, after Charles Lowndes of the local landowning Lowndes family [Belgravia]
Seward Street – after Edward Seward, who owned a dyeworks here in the 18th century [Finsbury]
Seymour Gardens Hounslow Nearby streets have a Henry VIII/Elizabeth I connection. Elizabeth spent part of her childhood at Hanworth Manor nearby. The third wife of King Henry VIII.
Seymour Mews, Seymour Place and Seymour Street – after Anne Seymour, mother of Henry William Portman, and through whom he inherited the estate [Marylebone]
Shaftesbury Avenue Westminster Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury Shaftesbury was an active philanthropist, and as a Member of Parliament he was responsible for several reforming acts designed to alleviate the suffering of the poor. The new Avenue replaced slum housing, and was finished in the year of his death, 1886.
Shafts Court – named after a maypole (or ‘shaft’) that formerly stood nearby at the junction of Leadenhall Street and St Mary Axe [City of London]
Shand Street – after Augustus Shand, member of local Board of Works in the late 19th century; it was formerly College Street, by association with the nearby Magdalen Street [Southwark]
Shaver’s Place – after Simon Osbaldeston, who built a gaming house here in the early 17th century. As Osbaldeston was formerly barber to Lord Chamberlain, local wits coined this name in jest at the ‘shaving’ going on at the games house [Soho]
Sheldon Street Croydon Gilbert Sheldon Archbishop of Canterbury (1663-1677) who lived at Croydon Palace, and is buried in Croydon Minster
Shelton Street – after William Shelton, who provided money for a local charitable school for the poor on nearby Parker Street in his will in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Shepherd Close – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Market W1 - Builder/architect, Edward Shepherd, who had a hand in the building of Grosvenor and Cavendish Squares. He obtained permission to build a cattle market in May Fair in 1738, where every May a large fair was held around the cattle market. The annual fair gave its name to the area of Mayfair.
Shepherd Place – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Street – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Sheraton Street – after Thomas Sheraton, noted furniture maker of the 18th century, who lived nearby [Soho]
Sherborne Lane – earlier Shirebourne Lane, alteration of the Medieval Shitteborelane, in reference to a public privy here [City of London]
Sherlock Mews – after the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, who lived on Baker Street [Marylebone]
Sherwood Street – corruption of ‘Sherard’; Francis Sherard was a local developer in the late 17th century [Soho]
Shillibeer Place – after George Shillibeer, owner of a local coaching business in the 19th century [Marylebone]
Ship Tavern Passage – after the nearby Ship tavern [City of London]
Shoe Lane – as this lane formerly led to a shoe-shaped landholding/field [City of London]
Short Street – after local early 19th century carpenter Samuel Short [Waterloo]
Shorts Gardens – after the Short family, who owned a house near here in the 17th century; it was formerly Queen Street [Covent Garden]
Shouldham Street – after Molyneux Shuldham, 18th century naval officer [Marylebone]
Shroton Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Shroton, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Sicilian Avenue – this Italianate arch is built from Sicilian marble [Bloomsbury]
Siddons Lane – after 19th century actress Sarah Siddons, who lived nearby at Clarence Gate [Lisson Grove]
Sidmouth Mews – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Sidmouth Street – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Silk Street – thought to be named for its late 18th century builder, or the silk trade formerly located here [City of London]
Silver Place – unknown, possibly by association with the nearby Golden Square [Soho]
Simon Milton Square – after Simon Milton, late 20th century/early 21st century Conservative politician [Victoria]
Sise Lane – as it formerly led to St Benet Sherehog church, which was dedicated to St Osyth (later corrupted to Sythe, then Sise) [City of London]
Skinner Street – after the Worshipful Company of Skinners, who owned much of the surrounding land when the street was built in the 1810s [Clerkenwell]
Skinners Lane – after the fur trade that was former prevalent here; it was formerly Maiden Lane, after a local inn or shop [City of London]
Slingsby Place – after Sir William Slingsby, who purchased this land in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Sloane Gardens – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Square Kensington and Chelsea Hans Sloane His heirs owned the land on which the square and nearby Sloane Street are built.
Sloane Street – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Terrace – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Smart’s Place – probably from William Smart, a carpenter who lived near here in the early 18th century [Covent Garden]
Smith Square Westminster Sir James Smith/the Smith Family Owners of the land on which the square was built, c. 1726
Smithfield Street and West Smithfield – derives from the Old English ‘smooth-field’, a series of fields outside the City walls [City of London]
Smokehouse Yard – after the bacon stoves formerly located here [Farringdon]
Snow Hill and Snow Hill Court – formerly Snore Hill or Snowrehill, exact meaning unknown [City of London]
Soho Square – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Soho Street – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Sopwith Way Kingston upon Thames Thomas Sopwith Aviation pioneer who set up a factory near the east end of the road, where his earliest aircraft were made.
South Audley Street – after Mary Davies, heiress to Hugh Audley, who married Sir Thomas Grosvenor, thereby letting the local land fall into the Grosvenors' ownership [Mayfair]
South Carriage Drive – after the carriage which formerly used this path [Belgravia]
South Eaton Place - after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), whose family seat is Eaton Hall, Cheshire [Belgravia]
South Lambeth Place - refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English 'lamb' and 'hythe'. [Vauxhall]
South Molton Lane – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Molton Street – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Place and South Place Mews – named as it is south of Moorfields [City of London]
South Square – from its location in the south of Gray's Inn [Holborn]
South Street – after its location as the southern-most street on the Grosvenor estate [Mayfair]
Southampton Buildings – after Southampton House which formerly stood here, built for the bishops of Lincoln in the 12th century and later acquired by the earls of Southampton [City of London]
Southampton Buildings WC1 - Here once stood the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton son of Shakespeare's patron. In 1638 he replaced the house with tenements on the land now known as Southampton Buildings, he moved to a new mansion in Bloomsbury named Southampton House, built where Southampton Place now stands.
Southampton Place – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Holborn]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century. Particularly after Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner. [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Street – after the earls of Southampton, who owned Southampton House in Bloomsbury in the 16th century; Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and local landowner married a daughter and heiress of the Southamptons, and this street was named in her/their honour [Covent Garden]
Southampton Street Camden Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner.
Southwark Bridge – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Bridge Road – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Street – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Spafield Street – after a former spa on this site which closed in 1776 [Clerkenwell]
Spanish Place – nearby Hertford House on Manchester Square was formerly home to the Spanish ambassador [Marylebone]
Speed Highwalk – after John Speed, Stuart-era mapmaker, who is buried in the nearby St Giles-without-Cripplegate [City of London]
Speedy Place – after the Speedy family, landlords of the former nearby pub the Golden Boot [Bloomsbury]
Spencer Street – after local landowners (dating back to the 17th century) the Compton family, earls and later marquises of Northampton, one of whom was cousins with Spencer Perceval
Spenser Street – after the poet Edmund Spenser, who lived nearby [Westminster]
Spitalfields E1 - In 1197, Mr Walter Brune, a Londoner, founded in the fields just east of Bishopsgate a large hospital for poor brethren of the order of St. Austin; Spring Gardens Westminster After the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660
Spring Gardens – after the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660 [St James's]
Spurgeon Street – after Charles Spurgeon, noted Victorian-era preacher [Southwark]
St Agnes Well – after an ancient well thought to have been located about 200 metres to the east, at the junction of Old Street and Great Eastern Street. Remnants of the well can be found within Old Street station. [Finsbury]

St Albans Court – after the adjacent St Alban, Wood Street church, of which only the tower now remains [City of London]
St Alban's Street – after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner [St James's]
St Alphage Garden – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Alphage Highwalk – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Andrew Street – after the adjacent St Andrew’s Church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Hill – after the adjacent St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Place – after the later William IV, Duke of St Andrews, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
St Ann’s Lane – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Ann’s Street – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Anne's Court – after the surrounding parish of St Anne’s and the church, named after Saint Anne [Soho]
St Anselm’s Place – former site of St Anselm’s church, demolished 1938 [Mayfair]
St Barnabas Street – after the nearby Church of St Barnabas, Pimlico [Belgravia]
St Benet’s Place – after the former St Benet Gracechurch which stood near here; destroyed in the Great Fire, its replacement was then demolished in 1868 [City of London]
St Botolph Row – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Botolph Street – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Bride Street – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Avenue – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Passage – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Chad’s Place – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Clerkenwell]
St Chad’s Street – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Bloomsbury]
St Christopher’s Place – Octavia Hill, social reformer, cleared the slums of this area and named it in honour of St Christopher; formerly it was Barrett's Court, after Thomas Barret, local 18th century landowner [Marylebone]
St Clare Street – after a former church/convent here of the Little Sisters of St Clare [City of London]
St Clement’s Court – after the adjacent St Clement's, Eastcheap church [City of London]
St Cross Street – originally Cross Street, as it crossed land belonging to the Hatton family; the ‘St’ was added in 1937 to avoid confusion with numerous streets of the same name [Hatton Garden]
St Dunstan’s Alley – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Court – after the nearby St Dunstan-in-the-West church [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Hill – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Lane – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Erkenwald Road Barking and Dagenham Saint Erkenwald Saint and Bishop of London who founded Barking Abbey to the west of the road
St Ermin’s Hill – thought to be a corruption of Hermit Hill, or possibly after St Ermin/Armel, 6th century monk [Westminster]
St George Street – originally George Street, after George I, reigning monarch when the street was built; the ‘St’ was later added to link it to the nearby St George’s church [Mayfair]
St George’s Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Southwark]
St George’s Drive, St George’s Square and St George’s Square Mews – after the manor of St George’s, Hanover Square which originally stretched to the Thames, and was named for George I [Victoria]
St George’s Mews – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George’s Road – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George's Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Waterloo]
St Georges Court – after the former St George Botolph Lane church nearby, demolished in 1904 [City of London]
St Giles Circus – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles High Street – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Passage – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]Scala Street – after the Scala theatre which formerly stood here [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Terrace – after the adjacent St Giles-without-Cripplegate church [City of London]
St Helen’s Place – after the adjacent St Helen's Church, Bishopsgate and former priory here of the same name [City of London]
St Helena Street – believed to be named after St Helena, in commemoration of Napoleon’s exile there in 1815 [Clerkenwell]
St James’s Market, St James’s Place, St James's Square, St James’s Street and Little St James’s Street – the site of St James’s Palace was originally the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee [St James's]
St James’s Passage – after St James Duke's Place church, demolished 1874 [City of London]
St James’s Walk – after the adjacent St James's Church, Clerkenwell [Clerkenwell]
St John Square – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John’s Lane, St John’s Path, St John’s Place, St John’s Square and St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Farringdon]
St John’s Wood Road – this land was in Medieval times owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem [Lisson Grove]
St John's Wood NW8 - Part of the forest of Middlesex now known as St Johns Wood was in the manor of Lilestone (Lisson). It was in the reign of Edward I that a gift of the woods was made from Otho, son of William de Lileston to the Knights Templers, and later passed to the Knights Hospitallers of St Johns of Jerusalem, when it became St Johns Wood and has so remained ever since.
St Katherine’s Precinct – after the former Anglican chapel of St Katharine's Hospital, which retains its original dedication to Saint Katharine, and was built in 1826-8 (now the Danish Church) [Regent’s Park]
St Katherine’s Row – after the St Katherine Coleman church, demolished in 1926 [City of London]
St Luke’s Close – after the adjacent St Luke Old Street church [Finsbury]
St Margaret Street – after the nearby St Margaret's, Westminster [Westminster]
St Margaret’s Close – after the adjacent St Margaret Lothbury church [City of London]
St Margaret's Court – named for the former St Margaret’s church here; it was for a period known as Fishmonger’s Alley, as it belonged to the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers [Southwark]
St Martin’s Court, St Martin’s Courtyard and Saint Martin’s Lane, St Martin-in-the-Fields Church Path and St Martin’s Place – after St Martin-in-the-Fields church adjacent [Covent Garden]
St Martin’s le Grand – after a former church of this name here, demolished in 1538 [City of London]
St Martin’s Place – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Martin’s Street – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Mary at Hill – after the St Mary-at-Hill church here [City of London]
St Mary Axe – after the former Church of St Mary Axe here, demolished in the 1500s [City of London]
St Mary's Gardens – after the parish of St Mary’s, Lambeth [Lambeth]
St Matthew Street – after St Matthew's Church, Westminster; it was formerly Duck Lane, as ducks were reared here [Westminster]
St Michael’s Alley – after the adjacent St Michael, Cornhill church [City of London]
St Mildred’s Court – after the former St Mildred, Poultry church, demolished 1872 [City of London]
St Olaf Stairs – probably for the former St Olave’s grammar school located here [Southwark]
St Olave’s Court – after the former St Olave Old Jewry church here, of which only the tower remains [City of London]
St Olave's Gardens – after the local parish of Southwark St Olave [Lambeth]
St Oswulf Street - as this areas was formerly part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; Oswulf was Saxon-era chief here [Westminster]
St Paul’s Churchyard – after the adjacent St Paul’s Cathedral; the churchyard was formerly far more extensive, but has since been built over [City of London]
St Peter’s Alley – after the adjacent St Peter upon Cornhill church [City of London]
St Swithins Lane – after the former St Swithin, London Stone, largely destroyed in the Blitz and later demolished [City of London]
St Thomas Street – after St Thomas’ Hospital, formerly located here [Southwark]
St Vincent Street – after the nearby school founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul [Marylebone]
Stable Yard – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stable Yard Road – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stacey Street – after John Stacey, local landowner in the 16th century [St Gile's]
Stafford Place – after Viscount Stafford, who lived in a house adjacent in the 17th century [Westminster]
Stafford Street W1 - Named after Margaret Stafford local leaseholder in the late 17th century and partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stag Place SW1 - The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved here after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Later known as the Stag Brewery, was demolished in 1959,
Stainer Street – after John Stainer, prominent Victorian-era organist [Southwark]
Staining Lane – from Saxon-era ‘Staeninga haga’, meaning place owned by the people of Staines [City of London]
Stalbridge Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Stalbridge, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Stamford Street – after Stamford, Lincolnshire, hometown of John Marshall, local benefactor and churchman [Waterloo]
Stanhope Gate – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Row – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Street - as this land was formerly owned by Dukes of Bedford; Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford was married to Anna Russell, Duchess of Bedford, daughter of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington [Regent’s Park]
Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens Kensington and Chelsea Edward Stanley, 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley President of the Board of Trade at the time the road was built.
Stannary Place - as it formed part of the manor of Kennington, which belonged to the Duchy of Cornwall, who also owned land around the stannary towns of Cornwall and Devon [Kennington];
Stannary Street was formerly Kennington Place [Kennington]
Staple Inn and Staple Inn Buildings – after the adjacent Staple Inn [City of London]
Star Alley – after a former inn here of this name [City of London]
Star Yard – after the former Starre Tavern here [Holborn]
Starcross Street – formerly Exmouth Street, it was renamed after the town of this name in Devon to avoid confusion with similarly named streets [Regent’s Park]
Station Approach Road – as it leads to Waterloo station [Waterloo]
Stationer’s Hall Court – after the adjacent hall of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers [City of London]
Stephen Mews and Stephen Street – after Stephen Lemaistre, business partner of local resident Peter Gaspard Gresse in the 1760s [Fitzrovia]
Stephenson Way – after Robert Stephenson, Victoria-era builder of the adjacent Euston station [Regent’s Park]
Sterry Street – after the Sterry family, local business owners in the 18th-19th centuries [Southwark]
Steve Biko Way Hounslow Steve Biko South African anti-apartheid activist
Stew Lane – after a former stew (hot bath) here [City of London]
Stillington Street – after Robert Stillington, Bishop of Bath in the 15th century [Westminster]
Stone House Court – after a former medieval building here called the Stone House [City of London]
Stonecutter Street – after the former stonecutting trade that took place here [City of London]
Stones End Street – as this marked the pointed where the paved surface of Borough High Street ended in former times [Southwark]
Stoney Lane – simply a descriptive name, streets typically being mud tracks in former times [City of London]
Stoney Street – formerly Stony Lane, both simply descriptive names [Southwark]
Storey's Gate SW1 - Abraham Storey, one of Wren's master-masons, built Storey's gate that now remembers his name. After 17th century St James’s Park birdkeeper Edward Storey, who had a house near here
Strand – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Thames Embankment [Strand]
Strand Lane – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Embankment [Covent Garden]
Stratford Place – after Edward Stratford, who owned a house nearby and built this street in the 1770s [Marylebone]
Stratton Street – after John Berkeley, 3rd Baron Berkeley of Stratton, local resident in the late 17th century [Mayfair]
Streatham Street – after Streatham, where local landowners the dukes of Bedford also owned property [Bloomsbury]
Strutton Ground – corruption of ‘Stourton’, from Stourton House where the local Dacre family lived [Westminster]
Strype Street E1 - John Strype,the son of a Huguenot weaver, was born here in 1643. He became an antiquary, historian and a parson.
Studio Place – as this are was home to many artists’ studios in the early 20th century [Belgravia]
Stukeley Street – after William Stukeley, clergyman and archaeologist, who lived nearby in the 18th century [Covent Garden]
Suffolk Lane – after a former house here belonging to the dukes of Suffolk [City of London]
Suffolk Place – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Suffolk Street – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Sumner Buildings – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sumner Road, Harrow Part of a cluster of streets named after teachers and headmasters of Harrow School: Robert Carey Sumner (1760–1771).
Sumner Street – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sun Street – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sun Street Passage – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Surrey Row – after the traditional county here of Surrey [Southwark]
Surrey Steps – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Surrey Street – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Sussex Place – after Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
Sussex Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate; as the last of their lands to be developed they had seemingly run out of eponymous names from themselves, so they chose various pleasant-sounding aristocratic titles, of which this is one [Victoria]
Sutherland Row – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutherland Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutton Row – Thomas Belasyse, 1st Viscount Fauconberg owned a house here in the 17th century – his country house was Sutton House in Chiswick [Soho]
Swallow Passage – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Place – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Street Westminster Thomas Swallow Lessee of the pastures on which the road was built in 1540.
Swan Lane – after a former inn here called the Olde Swanne; formerly Ebbgate, after a watergate here [City of London]
Swan Street – after a former inn here of this name [Southwark]
Swedeland Court – after the former Swedish community based here [City of London]
Swinton Place – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swinton Street – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swiss Court – after the Swiss Centre that formerly stood here [Soho]
Sycamore Street – by association with the nearby Timber Street, or possibly after an inn of this name [Finsbury]


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 412 completed street histories and 47088 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply
Born here
www.violettrefusis.com   
Added: 17 Feb 2021 15:05 GMT   

Birth place
Violet Trefusis, writer, cosmopolitan intellectual and patron of the Arts was born at 2 Wilton Crescent SW1X.

Source: www.violettrefusis.com

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply
Comment
rnorman345@aol.com   
Added: 6 Jul 2021 05:38 GMT   

Wren Road in the 1950s and 60s
Living in Grove Lane I knew Wren Road; my grandfather’s bank, Lloyds, was on the corner; the Scout District had their office in the Congregational Church and the entrance to the back of the Police station with the stables and horses was off it. Now very changed - smile.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Lived here
Kim Johnson   
Added: 24 Jun 2021 19:17 GMT   

Limehouse Causeway (1908)
My great grandparents were the first to live in 15 Tomlins Terrace, then my grandparents and parents after marriage. I spent the first two years of my life there. My nan and her family lived at number 13 Tomlins Terrace. My maternal grandmother lived in Maroon house, Blount Street with my uncle. Nan, my mum and her brothers were bombed out three times during the war.

Reply
Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
All Souls Church All Souls Church is an evangelical Anglican church situated at the north end of Regent Street.
Fairyland During the period leading up to and during the First World War, 92 Tottenham Court Road was the location of a shooting range called Fairyland.
Great Portland Street Great Portland Street is a London Underground station near Regent’s Park.
Scala Theatre Scala Theatre was a theatre in London, sited on Charlotte Street, off Tottenham Court Road. The first theatre on the site opened in 1772, and was demolished in 1969, after being destroyed by fire.

NEARBY STREETS
Adeline Place, WC1B Adeline Place was named after Adeline Marie Russell.
Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent.
Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred.
All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street.
Bainbridge Street, WC2H Bainbridge Street takes its name from Henry Bainbridge, a local resident in the 17th century.
Bayley Street, WC1B Bayley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1B postal area.
Bedford Avenue, WC1B Bedford Avenue is one of the streets of London in the WC1B postal area.
Bedford Square, WC1B Bedford Square was designed as a unified architectural composition in 1775-6 by Thomas Leverton.
Berners Mews, W1T Berners Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Place, W1T Berners Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Street, W1D William Berners completed building in 1763 what is today Berners Street.
Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Bolsover Street, W1W Bolsover Street - home to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital since 1907.
Bourlet Close, W1W Bourlet Close is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Bromley Place, W1T Bromley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
BT Tower, W1T The BT Tower is a communications tower, previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower.
Byng Place, WC1E Byng Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Bywell Place, W1W Bywell Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Candover Street, W1W Candover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Capper Street, WC1E Capper Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Carburton Street, W1W Carburton Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Cavendish Place, W1G Cavendish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Charlotte Place, W1T Charlotte Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Street, W1T Charlotte Street was laid out in the mid 18th century on open fields.
Chenies Mews, WC1E Chenies Mews is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Chenies Street, WC1E Chenies Street takes its name from the Buckinghamshire village where since 1556 members of the Russell family have been buried.
Chitty Street, W1T Chitty Street runs between Charlotte Street and Whitfield Street.
Cleveland Street, W1T Cleveland Street is a location in London.
Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane.
Clipstone Mews, W1T Clipstone Mews is a road in the W1T postcode area
Clipstone Street, W1W Clipstone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Coach Road, W1T Coach Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Collingwood House, W1W Residential block
Colville Place, W1T Colville Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south.
Darwin Walk, WC1E Darwin Walk is a road in the WC1E postcode area
De Walden Court, W1W De Walden Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Duchess Street, W1W Duchess Street runs from Mansfield Street to Hallam Street, across Portland Place.
Eastcastle Street, W1T The portion of Eastcastle Street to the east of Wells Street originally belonged to the Berners Estate.
Euston Road, W1T Euston Road is a road in the W1T postcode area
Evelyn Yard, W1T Evelyn Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Court, W1T Fitzroy Court is a road in the W1T postcode area
Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Square, W1T Fitzroy Square is one of the Georgian squares of London.
Fitzroy Street, W1T Fitzroy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Goodge Street, W1T Goodge Street was named after John Goodge a carpenter who along with his two nephews developed Crab Tree Fields to form Goodge Street in 1740.
Gordon Mansions, WC1E Gordon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury.
Gosfield Street, W1W Gosfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Gower Street, WC1E Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford.
Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, WC1E Grafton Way was formerly Grafton Street.
Great Portland Street, W1W Great Portland Street forms the boundary between Fitzrovia to the east and Marylebone to the west.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Greenwell Street, W1T Greenwell Street is a road in the W1T postcode area
Greenwell Street, W1W Greenwell Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Gresse Street, W1T Gresse Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hallam Street, W1W Hallam Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanson Street, W1W Hanson Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanway Place, W1T Hanway Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hanway Street, W1D Hanway Street was named after Major John Hanway.
Hanway Street, W1T Hanway Street is a location in London.
Howland Street, W1T Howland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Huntley Street, WC1E Huntley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east.
Langham House, W1B Residential block
Langham Place, W1B Langham Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Langham Street, W1W Langham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Portland Street, W1W Little Portland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchen Street, W1W Little Titchen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchfield Street, W1W Little Titchfield Street is a road in the W1W postcode area
Malet Place, WC1E Malet Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area.
Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Maple Street, W1T This is a street in the 92103 postcode area
Margaret Court, W1W Margaret Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Margaret Street, W1W Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Marylebone Passage, W1W Marylebone Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Buildings, W1W Middleton Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Place, W1W Middleton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Midford Place, W1T Midford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Morley House, W1W Residential block
Mortimer Market, WC1E Mortimer Market is a road in the W1T postcode area
Mortimer Street, W1T Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Mortimer Street, W1T A street within the W1W postcode
Mortimer Street, W1W Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Mortimer Street, W1W Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Morwell Street, WC1B Morwell Street is a road in the WC1B postcode area
Nassau Street, W1W Nassau Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
New Cavendish Street, W1W New Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Newman Passage, W1T Newman Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Newman Street, W1T Newman Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
North Crescent, WC1E North Crescent is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Percy Street, WC1B Percy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Portland Place, W1B This is a street in the W1A postcode area
Queen’s Yard, W1T Queen’s Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Rathbone Place, W1T Rathbone Place honours Captain Rathbone who was the builder of the road and properties thereon from 1718 onwards.
Rathbone Square, W1T Rathbone Square is a location in London.
Rathbone Street, W1T Rathbone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Ridgmount Gardens, WC1E Ridgmount Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ridgmount Street, WC1E Ridgmount Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards.
Salt Yard, W1T A street within the W1T postcode
Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
South Cloisters, WC1H South Cloisters is a road in the WC1H postcode area
Stephen Mews, W1T Stephen Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Stephen Street, W1T Stephen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Store Street, WC1E Store Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Thornhaugh Street, WC1B Thornhaugh Street is a street in London
Thornhaugh Street, WC1H Thornhaugh Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Torrington Place, WC1E Torrington Place was developed by James Sim in partnership with his two sons.
Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25, named after the father-in-law of the 6th Duke of Bedford.
Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile.
Tottenham Mews, W1T Tottenham Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Tottenham Street, W1T Tottenham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street.
University Street, WC1E University Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner.
Wells Mews, W1W Wells Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Place, W1T Whitfield Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south.
Windmill Street, W1T Windmill Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Woburn Square, WC1H Woburn Square is just north of the centre of Bloomsbury.

NEARBY PUBS
Bap and Pickle Smugglers Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bourne & Hollingsworth This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bricklayers Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Byron Hamburgers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Cock Tavern The Cock Tavern is on Great Portland Street.
Crown & Sceptre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Duke Of York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fitzrovia Belle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fitzroy Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Gallery Coffee Shop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Grafton Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Green Man This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Horse & Groom This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Hudsons House This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jack Horner This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jeremy Bentham This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kings Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lucky Pig This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marlborough Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marquis Of Granby This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Masons Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Newman Arms The Newman Arms has been a Fitzrovia fixture for centuries.
Nordic Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Northumberland Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
One Tun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince Of Wales Feathers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Reverend J W Simpson This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rising Sun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Simmons Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Spearmint Rhino This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Stag’s Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tavistock Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Albany This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bar at TCR This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Blue Post This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Carpenters Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Champion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The College Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Court This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fitzrovia This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The George This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The George & Dragon This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hope This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The King & Queen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The London Cocktail Club This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Lukin This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Slice Bar (Cupola House) This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Tottenham This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Wheatsheaf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tower Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Troy Club This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vault 139 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vinyl Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Yorkshire Grey This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Fitzrovia

Fitzrovia is the area lying to the west of Tottenham Court Road.




LOCAL PHOTOS
BT Tower
TUM image id: 1481989234
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Transmission
TUM image id: 1509553463
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The British Library
TUM image id: 1482066417
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
BT Tower
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Prince of Wales Theatre in 1903 shortly before its demolition for the building of the Scala Theatre in 1904.
Credit: Caroline Blomfield
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road London circa 1905
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Transmission
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road (1927)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

10 Gower Street, Bloomsbury
Credit: Spudgun67
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road, W1T
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Old Compton Street absorbed Little Compton Street in 1896. A street sign for Little Compton Street remains visible on a wall of a utility tunnel beneath a street grate on a traffic island in the middle of the junction of Old Compton Street and Charing Cross Road. Contrary to popular belief, this was a tunnel that previously ran under Little Compton Street, rather than it having been ’buried’.
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The March Of The Guards To Finchley - outside the Adam and Eve Tea Rooms.
Credit: William Hogarth
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Wells Street, W1
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page