Crawford Street, W1U

Road in/near Marylebone

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52011 -0.15775, 51.52 -0.157) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Marylebone · W1U ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Crawford Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.

A lot of the street information research on this website is academic in nature - from university research, the Survey of London, British History Online, borough conservation areas and more. Occasionally, the Hive Mind comes up trumps - these derivations come from discoveries on the Wikipedia made during 2019 which is feeding into the project.

If we find any derivations dubious here, we remove them. With that proviso, the TUM project provides them here for your enjoyment...

A-B-C D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V W-X-Y-Z

Sackville Street - after Captain Edward Sackville, tenant of a house on the west side of the street in 1675; it was formerly known as Stone Conduit Close [Mayfair]
Saffron Hill – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Saffron Street – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Salisbury Court and Salisbury Square – after the London house of the bishops of Salisbury, located here prior to the Reformation [City of London]
Salisbury Place – after the Salisbury brothers (Isaac, John and Thomas), local 18th century builders [Marylebone]
Salisbury StreetBroadley Street near here was formerly Earl Street, and the surrounding streets were given earldom-related names in the early 19th century; this was named for the Earls of Salisbury [Lisson Grove]
Salter’s Hall Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, destroyed in the Blitz [City of London]
Salters Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, moved in 1600 [City of London]
Sancroft Street – after William Sancroft, 79th Archbishop of Canterbury, by association with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Vauxhall]
Sanctuary Street – as the local mint formerly here claimed the local area as a sanctuary for debtors [Southwark]
Sandell Street – after one Mr Sandell, who owned wharehouses here in the 1860s [Waterloo]
Sandwich Street – after Sandwich in Kent, home county of local 16th century landowner Andrew Judd [Bloomsbury]
Sandy’s Row – after a builder or property owner of this name [City of London]
Sans Walk – after Edward Sans, named in 1893 as he was then oldest member of the local parish vestry [Clerkenwell]
Saracens Head Yard – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sardinia Street – after the embassy of the Kingdom of Sardinia and its associated chapel, formerly located on the site of a nearby demolished street of the same name [Holborn]
Saunders Road Uxbridge Street built near the site of the former RAF Uxbridge, and named after an air marshal in the Second World War. Hugh Saunders was Chief of Staff for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Savage Gardens – after Thomas Savage, who owned a house here in the 1620s [City of London]
Savile Row – after Dorothy Savile, Countess of Burlington and Countess of Cork, wife of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington, local landowner [Mayfair]
Savoy Buildings – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Court – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Hill – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Place Westminster Peter II, Count of Savoy Gave his name to the Savoy Palace, which stood on the site of the road
Savoy Row – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Steps – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Street – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Way – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Sawyer Street – after Bob Sawyer, a character in the novel The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Scoresby Street – unknown; formerly York Street [Southwark]
Scotland Place – site of a house used by visiting monarchs of Scotland until the 13th century [Westminster]
Scovell Crescent – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Scovell Road – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Seaford Street – thought to be named for Seaford in Sussex [Bloomsbury]
Seaforth Place – after Seaforth in Scotland, by association with the London Scottish (regiment) formerly bases nearby [Westminster]
Sebastian Street – after Lewis Sebastian, former Master of the Worshipful Company of Skinners and chairman of the governors of Northampton Polytechnic (now City University) [Clerkenwell]
Secker Street - after Thomas Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury 1758-68, by connection with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Waterloo]
Sedding Street – after John Dando Sedding, designer of the nearby Holy Trinity, Sloane Street church [Belgravia]
Sedley Place – named after Angelo Sedley, local 19th century furniture salesman [Mayfair]
Seething Lane – formerly Shyvethenestrat and Sivethenelane, deriving from Old English sifetha, meaning chaff/siftings, after the local corn threshing [City of London]
Sekforde Street – after Thomas Seckford, Elizabethan court official, who left land nearby in his will for the building of an almshouse [Clerkenwell]
Selwyn Avenue Richmond upon Thames William Selwyn Owned, and lived near, the land on which the road was later built; contributed to the founding of nearby church St John the Divine, Richmond.
Semley Place – after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), who owned a property called Semley [Belgravia]
Serjeants Inn – after the former Serjeant's Inn located here before the Blitz [City of London]
Serle Street – after Henry Serle, who built the street in the 1680s [Holborn]
Sermon Lane – thought to be after Adam la Sarmoner, 13th century landowner [City of London]
Serpentine Walk - as it leads to The Serpentine lake in Hyde Park [Belgravia]
Seven Dials and Seven Dials Court – after the seven dials on the sundial column, and the seven adjoining streets; laid out by Thomas Neal in 1693 [Covent Garden]
Seven Dials WC2 - The work of building Seven Dials had begun in 1693, on what was then called Cock-and-pie Fields taken from a nearby inn. Thomas Neale undertook the task of making a great junction, and, in the centre he erected a pillar with seven dials, one for each of the streets at the junction. In 1733 the pillar was taken down as there was believed to be a fortune lodged at the base, but no money was found, and the pillar was transported to Weybridge in Surrey. Good news it was returned to the original spot just a couple of years ago.
Seville Street – unknown; it was formerly Charles Street, after Charles Lowndes of the local landowning Lowndes family [Belgravia]
Seward Street – after Edward Seward, who owned a dyeworks here in the 18th century [Finsbury]
Seymour Gardens Hounslow Nearby streets have a Henry VIII/Elizabeth I connection. Elizabeth spent part of her childhood at Hanworth Manor nearby. The third wife of King Henry VIII.
Seymour Mews, Seymour Place and Seymour Street – after Anne Seymour, mother of Henry William Portman, and through whom he inherited the estate [Marylebone]
Shaftesbury Avenue Westminster Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury Shaftesbury was an active philanthropist, and as a Member of Parliament he was responsible for several reforming acts designed to alleviate the suffering of the poor. The new Avenue replaced slum housing, and was finished in the year of his death, 1886.
Shafts Court – named after a maypole (or ‘shaft’) that formerly stood nearby at the junction of Leadenhall Street and St Mary Axe [City of London]
Shand Street – after Augustus Shand, member of local Board of Works in the late 19th century; it was formerly College Street, by association with the nearby Magdalen Street [Southwark]
Shaver’s Place – after Simon Osbaldeston, who built a gaming house here in the early 17th century. As Osbaldeston was formerly barber to Lord Chamberlain, local wits coined this name in jest at the ‘shaving’ going on at the games house [Soho]
Sheldon Street Croydon Gilbert Sheldon Archbishop of Canterbury (1663-1677) who lived at Croydon Palace, and is buried in Croydon Minster
Shelton Street – after William Shelton, who provided money for a local charitable school for the poor on nearby Parker Street in his will in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Shepherd Close – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Market W1 - Builder/architect, Edward Shepherd, who had a hand in the building of Grosvenor and Cavendish Squares. He obtained permission to build a cattle market in May Fair in 1738, where every May a large fair was held around the cattle market. The annual fair gave its name to the area of Mayfair.
Shepherd Place – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Street – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Sheraton Street – after Thomas Sheraton, noted furniture maker of the 18th century, who lived nearby [Soho]
Sherborne Lane – earlier Shirebourne Lane, alteration of the Medieval Shitteborelane, in reference to a public privy here [City of London]
Sherlock Mews – after the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, who lived on Baker Street [Marylebone]
Sherwood Street – corruption of ‘Sherard’; Francis Sherard was a local developer in the late 17th century [Soho]
Shillibeer Place – after George Shillibeer, owner of a local coaching business in the 19th century [Marylebone]
Ship Tavern Passage – after the nearby Ship tavern [City of London]
Shoe Lane – as this lane formerly led to a shoe-shaped landholding/field [City of London]
Short Street – after local early 19th century carpenter Samuel Short [Waterloo]
Shorts Gardens – after the Short family, who owned a house near here in the 17th century; it was formerly Queen Street [Covent Garden]
Shouldham Street – after Molyneux Shuldham, 18th century naval officer [Marylebone]
Shroton Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Shroton, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Sicilian Avenue – this Italianate arch is built from Sicilian marble [Bloomsbury]
Siddons Lane – after 19th century actress Sarah Siddons, who lived nearby at Clarence Gate [Lisson Grove]
Sidmouth Mews – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Sidmouth Street – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Silk Street – thought to be named for its late 18th century builder, or the silk trade formerly located here [City of London]
Silver Place – unknown, possibly by association with the nearby Golden Square [Soho]
Simon Milton Square – after Simon Milton, late 20th century/early 21st century Conservative politician [Victoria]
Sise Lane – as it formerly led to St Benet Sherehog church, which was dedicated to St Osyth (later corrupted to Sythe, then Sise) [City of London]
Skinner Street – after the Worshipful Company of Skinners, who owned much of the surrounding land when the street was built in the 1810s [Clerkenwell]
Skinners Lane – after the fur trade that was former prevalent here; it was formerly Maiden Lane, after a local inn or shop [City of London]
Slingsby Place – after Sir William Slingsby, who purchased this land in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Sloane Gardens – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Square Kensington and Chelsea Hans Sloane His heirs owned the land on which the square and nearby Sloane Street are built.
Sloane Street – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Terrace – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Smart’s Place – probably from William Smart, a carpenter who lived near here in the early 18th century [Covent Garden]
Smith Square Westminster Sir James Smith/the Smith Family Owners of the land on which the square was built, c. 1726
Smithfield Street and West Smithfield – derives from the Old English ‘smooth-field’, a series of fields outside the City walls [City of London]
Smokehouse Yard – after the bacon stoves formerly located here [Farringdon]
Snow Hill and Snow Hill Court – formerly Snore Hill or Snowrehill, exact meaning unknown [City of London]
Soho Square – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Soho Street – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Sopwith Way Kingston upon Thames Thomas Sopwith Aviation pioneer who set up a factory near the east end of the road, where his earliest aircraft were made.
South Audley Street – after Mary Davies, heiress to Hugh Audley, who married Sir Thomas Grosvenor, thereby letting the local land fall into the Grosvenors' ownership [Mayfair]
South Carriage Drive – after the carriage which formerly used this path [Belgravia]
South Eaton Place - after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), whose family seat is Eaton Hall, Cheshire [Belgravia]
South Lambeth Place - refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English 'lamb' and 'hythe'. [Vauxhall]
South Molton Lane – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Molton Street – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Place and South Place Mews – named as it is south of Moorfields [City of London]
South Square – from its location in the south of Gray's Inn [Holborn]
South Street – after its location as the southern-most street on the Grosvenor estate [Mayfair]
Southampton Buildings – after Southampton House which formerly stood here, built for the bishops of Lincoln in the 12th century and later acquired by the earls of Southampton [City of London]
Southampton Buildings WC1 - Here once stood the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton son of Shakespeare's patron. In 1638 he replaced the house with tenements on the land now known as Southampton Buildings, he moved to a new mansion in Bloomsbury named Southampton House, built where Southampton Place now stands.
Southampton Place – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Holborn]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century. Particularly after Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner. [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Street – after the earls of Southampton, who owned Southampton House in Bloomsbury in the 16th century; Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and local landowner married a daughter and heiress of the Southamptons, and this street was named in her/their honour [Covent Garden]
Southampton Street Camden Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner.
Southwark Bridge – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Bridge Road – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Street – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Spafield Street – after a former spa on this site which closed in 1776 [Clerkenwell]
Spanish Place – nearby Hertford House on Manchester Square was formerly home to the Spanish ambassador [Marylebone]
Speed Highwalk – after John Speed, Stuart-era mapmaker, who is buried in the nearby St Giles-without-Cripplegate [City of London]
Speedy Place – after the Speedy family, landlords of the former nearby pub the Golden Boot [Bloomsbury]
Spencer Street – after local landowners (dating back to the 17th century) the Compton family, earls and later marquises of Northampton, one of whom was cousins with Spencer Perceval
Spenser Street – after the poet Edmund Spenser, who lived nearby [Westminster]
Spitalfields E1 - In 1197, Mr Walter Brune, a Londoner, founded in the fields just east of Bishopsgate a large hospital for poor brethren of the order of St. Austin; Spring Gardens Westminster After the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660
Spring Gardens – after the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660 [St James's]
Spurgeon Street – after Charles Spurgeon, noted Victorian-era preacher [Southwark]
St Agnes Well – after an ancient well thought to have been located about 200 metres to the east, at the junction of Old Street and Great Eastern Street. Remnants of the well can be found within Old Street station. [Finsbury]

St Albans Court – after the adjacent St Alban, Wood Street church, of which only the tower now remains [City of London]
St Alban's Street – after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner [St James's]
St Alphage Garden – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Alphage Highwalk – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Andrew Street – after the adjacent St Andrew’s Church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Hill – after the adjacent St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Place – after the later William IV, Duke of St Andrews, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
St Ann’s Lane – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Ann’s Street – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Anne's Court – after the surrounding parish of St Anne’s and the church, named after Saint Anne [Soho]
St Anselm’s Place – former site of St Anselm’s church, demolished 1938 [Mayfair]
St Barnabas Street – after the nearby Church of St Barnabas, Pimlico [Belgravia]
St Benet’s Place – after the former St Benet Gracechurch which stood near here; destroyed in the Great Fire, its replacement was then demolished in 1868 [City of London]
St Botolph Row – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Botolph Street – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Bride Street – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Avenue – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Passage – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Chad’s Place – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Clerkenwell]
St Chad’s Street – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Bloomsbury]
St Christopher’s Place – Octavia Hill, social reformer, cleared the slums of this area and named it in honour of St Christopher; formerly it was Barrett's Court, after Thomas Barret, local 18th century landowner [Marylebone]
St Clare Street – after a former church/convent here of the Little Sisters of St Clare [City of London]
St Clement’s Court – after the adjacent St Clement's, Eastcheap church [City of London]
St Cross Street – originally Cross Street, as it crossed land belonging to the Hatton family; the ‘St’ was added in 1937 to avoid confusion with numerous streets of the same name [Hatton Garden]
St Dunstan’s Alley – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Court – after the nearby St Dunstan-in-the-West church [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Hill – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Lane – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Erkenwald Road Barking and Dagenham Saint Erkenwald Saint and Bishop of London who founded Barking Abbey to the west of the road
St Ermin’s Hill – thought to be a corruption of Hermit Hill, or possibly after St Ermin/Armel, 6th century monk [Westminster]
St George Street – originally George Street, after George I, reigning monarch when the street was built; the ‘St’ was later added to link it to the nearby St George’s church [Mayfair]
St George’s Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Southwark]
St George’s Drive, St George’s Square and St George’s Square Mews – after the manor of St George’s, Hanover Square which originally stretched to the Thames, and was named for George I [Victoria]
St George’s Mews – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George’s Road – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George's Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Waterloo]
St Georges Court – after the former St George Botolph Lane church nearby, demolished in 1904 [City of London]
St Giles Circus – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles High Street – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Passage – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]Scala Street – after the Scala theatre which formerly stood here [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Terrace – after the adjacent St Giles-without-Cripplegate church [City of London]
St Helen’s Place – after the adjacent St Helen's Church, Bishopsgate and former priory here of the same name [City of London]
St Helena Street – believed to be named after St Helena, in commemoration of Napoleon’s exile there in 1815 [Clerkenwell]
St James’s Market, St James’s Place, St James's Square, St James’s Street and Little St James’s Street – the site of St James’s Palace was originally the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee [St James's]
St James’s Passage – after St James Duke's Place church, demolished 1874 [City of London]
St James’s Walk – after the adjacent St James's Church, Clerkenwell [Clerkenwell]
St John Square – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John’s Lane, St John’s Path, St John’s Place, St John’s Square and St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Farringdon]
St John’s Wood Road – this land was in Medieval times owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem [Lisson Grove]
St John's Wood NW8 - Part of the forest of Middlesex now known as St Johns Wood was in the manor of Lilestone (Lisson). It was in the reign of Edward I that a gift of the woods was made from Otho, son of William de Lileston to the Knights Templers, and later passed to the Knights Hospitallers of St Johns of Jerusalem, when it became St Johns Wood and has so remained ever since.
St Katherine’s Precinct – after the former Anglican chapel of St Katharine's Hospital, which retains its original dedication to Saint Katharine, and was built in 1826-8 (now the Danish Church) [Regent’s Park]
St Katherine’s Row – after the St Katherine Coleman church, demolished in 1926 [City of London]
St Luke’s Close – after the adjacent St Luke Old Street church [Finsbury]
St Margaret Street – after the nearby St Margaret's, Westminster [Westminster]
St Margaret’s Close – after the adjacent St Margaret Lothbury church [City of London]
St Margaret's Court – named for the former St Margaret’s church here; it was for a period known as Fishmonger’s Alley, as it belonged to the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers [Southwark]
St Martin’s Court, St Martin’s Courtyard and Saint Martin’s Lane, St Martin-in-the-Fields Church Path and St Martin’s Place – after St Martin-in-the-Fields church adjacent [Covent Garden]
St Martin’s le Grand – after a former church of this name here, demolished in 1538 [City of London]
St Martin’s Place – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Martin’s Street – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Mary at Hill – after the St Mary-at-Hill church here [City of London]
St Mary Axe – after the former Church of St Mary Axe here, demolished in the 1500s [City of London]
St Mary's Gardens – after the parish of St Mary’s, Lambeth [Lambeth]
St Matthew Street – after St Matthew's Church, Westminster; it was formerly Duck Lane, as ducks were reared here [Westminster]
St Michael’s Alley – after the adjacent St Michael, Cornhill church [City of London]
St Mildred’s Court – after the former St Mildred, Poultry church, demolished 1872 [City of London]
St Olaf Stairs – probably for the former St Olave’s grammar school located here [Southwark]
St Olave’s Court – after the former St Olave Old Jewry church here, of which only the tower remains [City of London]
St Olave's Gardens – after the local parish of Southwark St Olave [Lambeth]
St Oswulf Street - as this areas was formerly part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; Oswulf was Saxon-era chief here [Westminster]
St Paul’s Churchyard – after the adjacent St Paul’s Cathedral; the churchyard was formerly far more extensive, but has since been built over [City of London]
St Peter’s Alley – after the adjacent St Peter upon Cornhill church [City of London]
St Swithins Lane – after the former St Swithin, London Stone, largely destroyed in the Blitz and later demolished [City of London]
St Thomas Street – after St Thomas’ Hospital, formerly located here [Southwark]
St Vincent Street – after the nearby school founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul [Marylebone]
Stable Yard – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stable Yard Road – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stacey Street – after John Stacey, local landowner in the 16th century [St Gile's]
Stafford Place – after Viscount Stafford, who lived in a house adjacent in the 17th century [Westminster]
Stafford Street W1 - Named after Margaret Stafford local leaseholder in the late 17th century and partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stag Place SW1 - The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved here after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Later known as the Stag Brewery, was demolished in 1959,
Stainer Street – after John Stainer, prominent Victorian-era organist [Southwark]
Staining Lane – from Saxon-era ‘Staeninga haga’, meaning place owned by the people of Staines [City of London]
Stalbridge Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Stalbridge, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Stamford Street – after Stamford, Lincolnshire, hometown of John Marshall, local benefactor and churchman [Waterloo]
Stanhope Gate – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Row – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Street - as this land was formerly owned by Dukes of Bedford; Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford was married to Anna Russell, Duchess of Bedford, daughter of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington [Regent’s Park]
Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens Kensington and Chelsea Edward Stanley, 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley President of the Board of Trade at the time the road was built.
Stannary Place - as it formed part of the manor of Kennington, which belonged to the Duchy of Cornwall, who also owned land around the stannary towns of Cornwall and Devon [Kennington];
Stannary Street was formerly Kennington Place [Kennington]
Staple Inn and Staple Inn Buildings – after the adjacent Staple Inn [City of London]
Star Alley – after a former inn here of this name [City of London]
Star Yard – after the former Starre Tavern here [Holborn]
Starcross Street – formerly Exmouth Street, it was renamed after the town of this name in Devon to avoid confusion with similarly named streets [Regent’s Park]
Station Approach Road – as it leads to Waterloo station [Waterloo]
Stationer’s Hall Court – after the adjacent hall of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers [City of London]
Stephen Mews and Stephen Street – after Stephen Lemaistre, business partner of local resident Peter Gaspard Gresse in the 1760s [Fitzrovia]
Stephenson Way – after Robert Stephenson, Victoria-era builder of the adjacent Euston station [Regent’s Park]
Sterry Street – after the Sterry family, local business owners in the 18th-19th centuries [Southwark]
Steve Biko Way Hounslow Steve Biko South African anti-apartheid activist
Stew Lane – after a former stew (hot bath) here [City of London]
Stillington Street – after Robert Stillington, Bishop of Bath in the 15th century [Westminster]
Stone House Court – after a former medieval building here called the Stone House [City of London]
Stonecutter Street – after the former stonecutting trade that took place here [City of London]
Stones End Street – as this marked the pointed where the paved surface of Borough High Street ended in former times [Southwark]
Stoney Lane – simply a descriptive name, streets typically being mud tracks in former times [City of London]
Stoney Street – formerly Stony Lane, both simply descriptive names [Southwark]
Storey's Gate SW1 - Abraham Storey, one of Wren's master-masons, built Storey's gate that now remembers his name. After 17th century St James’s Park birdkeeper Edward Storey, who had a house near here
Strand – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Thames Embankment [Strand]
Strand Lane – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Embankment [Covent Garden]
Stratford Place – after Edward Stratford, who owned a house nearby and built this street in the 1770s [Marylebone]
Stratton Street – after John Berkeley, 3rd Baron Berkeley of Stratton, local resident in the late 17th century [Mayfair]
Streatham Street – after Streatham, where local landowners the dukes of Bedford also owned property [Bloomsbury]
Strutton Ground – corruption of ‘Stourton’, from Stourton House where the local Dacre family lived [Westminster]
Strype Street E1 - John Strype,the son of a Huguenot weaver, was born here in 1643. He became an antiquary, historian and a parson.
Studio Place – as this are was home to many artists’ studios in the early 20th century [Belgravia]
Stukeley Street – after William Stukeley, clergyman and archaeologist, who lived nearby in the 18th century [Covent Garden]
Suffolk Lane – after a former house here belonging to the dukes of Suffolk [City of London]
Suffolk Place – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Suffolk Street – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Sumner Buildings – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sumner Road, Harrow Part of a cluster of streets named after teachers and headmasters of Harrow School: Robert Carey Sumner (1760–1771).
Sumner Street – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sun Street – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sun Street Passage – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Surrey Row – after the traditional county here of Surrey [Southwark]
Surrey Steps – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Surrey Street – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Sussex Place – after Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
Sussex Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate; as the last of their lands to be developed they had seemingly run out of eponymous names from themselves, so they chose various pleasant-sounding aristocratic titles, of which this is one [Victoria]
Sutherland Row – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutherland Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutton Row – Thomas Belasyse, 1st Viscount Fauconberg owned a house here in the 17th century – his country house was Sutton House in Chiswick [Soho]
Swallow Passage – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Place – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Street Westminster Thomas Swallow Lessee of the pastures on which the road was built in 1540.
Swan Lane – after a former inn here called the Olde Swanne; formerly Ebbgate, after a watergate here [City of London]
Swan Street – after a former inn here of this name [Southwark]
Swedeland Court – after the former Swedish community based here [City of London]
Swinton Place – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swinton Street – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swiss Court – after the Swiss Centre that formerly stood here [Soho]
Sycamore Street – by association with the nearby Timber Street, or possibly after an inn of this name [Finsbury]


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 412 completed street histories and 47088 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Born here
www.violettrefusis.com   
Added: 17 Feb 2021 15:05 GMT   

Birth place
Violet Trefusis, writer, cosmopolitan intellectual and patron of the Arts was born at 2 Wilton Crescent SW1X.

Source: www.violettrefusis.com

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply
Comment
rnorman345@aol.com   
Added: 6 Jul 2021 05:38 GMT   

Wren Road in the 1950s and 60s
Living in Grove Lane I knew Wren Road; my grandfather’s bank, Lloyds, was on the corner; the Scout District had their office in the Congregational Church and the entrance to the back of the Police station with the stables and horses was off it. Now very changed - smile.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Lived here
Kim Johnson   
Added: 24 Jun 2021 19:17 GMT   

Limehouse Causeway (1908)
My great grandparents were the first to live in 15 Tomlins Terrace, then my grandparents and parents after marriage. I spent the first two years of my life there. My nan and her family lived at number 13 Tomlins Terrace. My maternal grandmother lived in Maroon house, Blount Street with my uncle. Nan, my mum and her brothers were bombed out three times during the war.

Reply
Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Allsop Farm Allsop Farm stood on the north side of Marylebone Road.
Baker Street Baker Street tube station is a station on the London Underground at the junction of Baker Street and the Marylebone Road. The station lies in Travelcard Zone 1 and is served by five different lines. It is one of the original stations of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the world’s first underground railway, opened in 1863.
Home House Home House is a Georgian town house at 20 Portman Square.
Montagu House Montagu House at 22 Portman Square was a historic London house.

NEARBY STREETS
Admiral Court, W1U Admiral Court is a road in the W1U postcode area
Albert Mansions, W1U Albert Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Allsop Place, NW1 Allsop Place was named for Thomas Allsop of Allsop Farm.
Ashland House, W1U Classified as a residential/commercial block
Ashland Place, W1U Alongside the cemetery of Marylebone ran Burying Ground Passage which was renamed Ashland Place in 1886.
Aybrook Street, W1U Aybrook Street roughly follows the path of the former Aye, or Eye Brook.
Baker Street, NW1 The NW1 end of Baker Street was home to Sherlock Holmes.
Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named.
Baker’s Mews, W1H Baker’s Mews, like nearby Baker Street is named after Edward Baker, friend and business partner of the landowning Portman family.
Balcombe Street, NW1 Balcombe Street is possibly a corruption of Batcombe, Dorset, in line with other Dorset-related street names in the area.
Beaumont Mews, W1G Beaumont Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library.
Bendall Mews, NW1 Bendall Mews is a street in Camden Town.
Bentinck Mansions, W1U Bentinck Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Bentinck Mews, W1U Bentinck Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Bentinck Street, W1U Bentinck Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Berkeley Court, NW1 Berkeley Court is a street in Camden Town.
Bickenhall Mansions, W1U Bickenhall Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Bickenhall Street, W1U Bickenhall Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Blandford Street, W1U Blandford Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Boston Place, NW1 Boston Place is a street in Camden Town.
Brendon Street, W1H Brendon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Broadstone Place, W1U Broadstone Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Brown Street, W1H Brown Street is a road in the W1H postcode area
Bryanston Mews East, W1H Bryanston Mews East is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Bryanston Mews West, W1H Bryanston Mews West is a road in the W1H postcode area
Bryanston Place, W1H Bryanston Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Bryanston Square, W1H Bryanston Square is a road in the W1H postcode area
Bulstrode Place, W1U Bulstrode Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Bulstrode Street, W1U Bulstrode Street runs from Welbeck Street in the east to Thayer Street in the west.
Castlereagh Street, W1H Castlereagh Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Chagford House, NW1 Residential block
Chagford Street, NW1 Chagford Street is a street in Camden Town.
Chalfont Court, NW1 Chalfont Court is a street in Camden Town.
Chiltern Court, NW1 Chiltern Court is a street in Camden Town.
Chiltern Street, W1U Chiltern Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Clarence Gate Gardens, NW1 Clarence Gate Gardens is a street in Camden Town.
Clarewood Court, W1H Clarewood Court is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Cornwall Terrace Mews, NW1 This is a street in the NW1 postcode area
Cornwall Terrace, NW1 Cornwall Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Crawford Mews, W1H Crawford Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Crawford Street, W1H Crawford Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Cross Keys Close, W1U Cross Keys Close is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Cumberland Mansions, W1H Cumberland Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Devonshire Place Mews, W1G Devonshire Place Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Devonshire Place, W1G Devonshire Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Dorset Square, NW1 Dorset Square was built on the former site of Lord’s Cricket Ground.
Dorset Street, W1U Dorset Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Dukes Mews, W1U Dukes Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Dunstable Mews, W1G Dunstable Mews is a road in the W1G postcode area
Durweston Mews, W1U Durweston Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Durweston Street, W1H Durweston Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Enford Street, W1H Enford Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Farley Court, NW1 Farley Court is a street in Camden Town.
Fitzhardinge House, W1H Residential block
Fitzhardinge Street, W1U Fitzhardinge Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Forset Street, W1U Forset Street is a road in the W1H postcode area
George Street, W1H George Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
George Street, W1U George Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Glentworth Street, NW1 Glentworth Street is a street in Camden Town.
Gloucester Place, NW1 Gloucester Place is a street in Camden Town.
Gloucester Place, W1U Gloucester Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Gloucester Place, W1U Gloucester Place is a road in the W1H postcode area
Great Central Street, NW1 Great Central Street is a street in Camden Town.
Grotto Passage, W1U Grotto Passage has kept its name amid a sea of renaming.
Harcourt Street, W1H Harcourt Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Harewood Avenue, NW1 Harewood Avenue is a street in Camden Town.
Harewood Row, NW1 Harewood Row is a street in Camden Town.
Harley House, NW1 Residential block
Harrowby Street, W1H Harrowby Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Hayes Place, NW1 Hayes Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Hertford House, W1U Residential block
Hinde Mews, W1U Hinde Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Hinde Street, W1U Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer.
Holmes Place, W1U Holmes Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Huntsworth Mews, NW1 Huntsworth Mews is a small street in Marylebone.
Jacobs Well Mews, W1U Jacobs Well Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Jason Court, W1U Jason Court was part of the ancient village of Marylebone.
Kendall Place, W1U Kendall Place is a road in the W1U postcode area
Kenrick Place, W1U Kenrick Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Knox Street, W1H This is a street in the W1H postcode area
Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green.
Lowstock Road, W1U Lowstock Road is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Luxborough Street, W1U Luxborough Street is a road in the W1U postcode area
Luxborough Towers, W1U Luxborough Towers is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Manchester Mews, W1U Manchester Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Manchester Square, W1U Manchester Square is a small but well-preserved Georgian square in Marylebone.
Manchester Street, W1U Manchester Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Mandeville Place, W1U Mandeville Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Mandeville Place, W1U Mandeville Place is a road in the E15 postcode area
Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Marylebone High Street, W1U Marylebone High Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Marylebone High Street, W1U Marylebone High Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Marylebone Lane, W1U Marylebone Lane is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Marylebone Road, NW1 Marylebone Road is a street in Camden Town.
Marylebone Road, NW1 Marylebone Road is a road in the W1U postcode area
Marylebone Street, W1G Marylebone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Melcombe Place, NW1 Melcombe Place is a street in Camden Town.
Melcombe Street, NW1 Melcombe Street is a street in Camden Town.
Molyneux Street, W1H Molyneux Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Montagu Mansions, W1U Montagu Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Montagu Mews North, W1H Montagu Mews North is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Montagu Place, W1H Montagu Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Montagu Square, W1H Montagu Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815.
Montagu Street, W1H This is a street in the W1H postcode area
Moxon Street, W1U Moxon Street once went by the name of Paradise Street, at odds with its appearance.
Nottingham Place, W1U Nottingham Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Nottingham Street, W1U Nottingham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Nutford Place, W1H Nutford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Oldbury Place, W1U Oldbury Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Orchard Court, W1H Orchard Court is a road in the W1H postcode area
Ossington Buildings, W1U Ossington Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Paddington Street, W1U Paddington Street was once a country track leading towards Paddington.
Porter Street, W1U Porter Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Portman Close, W1U Portman Close is a road in the W1U postcode area
Portman Mansions, NW1 Portman Mansions is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Robert Adam Street, W1U Robert Adam Street was the 1938 renamed Adams Street.
Rodmarton Street, W1U Rodmarton Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Salisbury Place, W1H Salisbury Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Salisbury Place, W1H Salisbury Place is a road in the SW9 postcode area
Seymour Buildings, W1H Seymour Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Seymour Leisure Centre, W1H Seymour Leisure Centre is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Seymour Mews, W1H Seymour Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Seymour Place, W1H Seymour Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Sherlock Mews, W1U Sherlock Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Shillibeer Place, W1H Shillibeer Place commemorates pioneer busman George Shillibeer.
Shouldham Street, W1H Shouldham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Siddons Lane, NW1 Siddons Lane is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Spanish Place, W1U Spanish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
St Andrews Mansions, W1U St Andrews Mansions is a road in the W1U postcode area
St Vincent Street, W1U Saint Vincent Street is a road in the W1U postcode area
St. Vincent Street, W1U St. Vincent Street is a location in London.
Station Approach, NW1 Station Approach is a street in Camden Town.
Taunton Mews, NW1 Taunton Mews dates from the early 1820s.
Thayer Street, W1U Thayer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
The Arcade, NW1 The Arcade is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Thornton Place, W1H Thornton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Treborough House, W1U Residential block
Upper Montagu Street, W1H Upper Montagu Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Vincent Court, W1H Vincent Court is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Walden House, W1U Residential block
Walmer Place, W1H Walmer Place is a road in the W1H postcode area
Waverley Court, W1G Waverley Court is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Westmoreland Street, W1G Westmoreland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Wheatley Street, W1G Wheatley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Wyndham Mews, W1H Wyndham Mews is a road in the W1H postcode area
Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s.
Wyndham Street, NW1 Wyndham Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Wyndham Street, W1H Wyndham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Wyndham Yard, W1H Wyndham Yard is a road in the W1H postcode area
York Gate, NW1 York Gate is a street in Camden Town.
York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
York Terrace East, W1G York Terrace East is a street in Camden Town.
York Terrace West, NW1 York Terrace West is a road in the NW1 postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Barrack Field This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Devonshire Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Duke Of York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Gunmakers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Inn 1888 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kings Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince Regent This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Angel In The Fields This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Barley Mow This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bok Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Cavendish This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Coachmakers Of Marylebone This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Cock & Lion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Larrik This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Marylebone Tup This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Temperance This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Victory This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Thornbury Castle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tudor Rose This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Two Point Bar & Kitchen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Union This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Windsor Castle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary’s, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London’s mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Montagu House, Portman Square
TUM image id: 1510140427
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Portman Square, W1H
TUM image id: 1510141130
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Grotto Passage
Credit: Wiki Commons
TUM image id: 1604231019
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Marble Arch, 2016
Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=352348
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Somerset House, Park Lane: house (right) and stables (centre) in 1912, from junction of Park Lane and Oxford Street.
Credit: British History Online
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Montagu House, Portman Square
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

A view of Tyburn (1750)
Credit: Old and New London: Volume 5. Edward Walford (1878)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Baker Street station (1890)
Credit: Bishopsgate Institute
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

view of Balcombe Street, Marylebone (2007) In 1975, there was a siege in Balcombe Street where the Provisional IRA took two hostages and a six day siege with the Metropolitan Police ensued
Credit: Geograph/Oxyman
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Beaumont Street (2014)
Credit: Philafrenzy/Wiki Commons
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Connaught Square, 2004
Credit: Andrew Dunn,
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Portman Square, W1H
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Shillibeer Place sign
Credit: London Transport Museum
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page