Gower Street, WC1E

Road in/near Bloomsbury, existing between the 1780s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52329 -0.13359, 51.523 -0.133) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Clicking MAPS at the top will display a full-screen map without the accompanying article
Road · Bloomsbury · WC1E ·
December
11
2021

Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford.

Leveson-Gower was noted as a formidable adviser to her husband who held various political roles during the reigns of George II and George III, including Lord Privy Seal and Ambassador to France at the end of the Seven Years’ War.

The Gower baronetcy was a subsidiary title of the Duke of Sutherland, held in the Leveson-Gower family until 1963.

The area now known as Bloomsbury had come into the possession of the Russell family in 1669. That year the 5th Earl of Bedford’s son married Lady Rachel Vaughan, daughter of the 4th Earl of Southampton.

Southampton had started developing the area in the 1660s. John Russell died in 1771 and Gower Street was laid out from the 1780s onwards under Lady Gertrude’s supervision. During its development, a square was proposed near the northern end but the land was taken instead for University College London. The university was founded to provide an alternative to the Anglican-dominated colleges of Oxford and Cambridge and was nicknamed ‘the godless institution of Gower Street’. The Wilkins Building opened in 1828 and the university has since progressively expanded to consume most of the east side of Gower Street and the land behind it. University College hospital opened on the west side of the street in 1833. The hospital’s early medical students invented ‘Gower Street dialect’ - spoonerisms such as ‘poking a smipe’ for ‘smoking a pipe’.

Gower Street still has one of London’s longest sets of unbroken Georgian terraces.

Gower Street was one of the original stations on the London Underground when the Metropolitan Railway opened in 1863.



Main source: Gower Street | Hidden London
Further citations and sources


Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 471 completed street histories and 47029 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply

Emma Seif   
Added: 25 Jan 2022 19:06 GMT   

Birth of the Bluestocking Society
In about 1750, Elizabeth Montagu began hosting literary breakfasts in her home at 23 (now 31) Hill Street. These are considered the first meetings of the Bluestocking society.

Reply
Comment
Linda Webb   
Added: 27 Sep 2021 05:51 GMT   

Hungerford Stairs
In 1794 my ancestor, George Webb, Clay Pipe Maker, lived in Hungerford Stairs, Strand. Source: Wakefields Merchant & Tradesmens General Directory London Westminster 1794

Source: Hungerford Stairs

Reply

Roy Batham   
Added: 7 Jan 2022 07:17 GMT   

Smithy in Longacre
John Burris 1802-1848 Listed 1841 census as Burroughs was a blacksmith, address just given as Longacre.

Source: Batham/Wiseman - Family Tree

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply

Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Comment
Carol   
Added: 7 May 2021 18:44 GMT   

Nan
My nan lily,her sister Elizabeth and their parents Elizabeth and William lived here in1911

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Bob Land   
Added: 29 Jun 2022 13:20 GMT   

Map legends
Question, I have been looking at quite a few maps dated 1950 and 1900, and there are many abbreviations on the maps, where can I find the lists to unravel these ?

Regards

Bob Land

Reply
Comment
Alison   
Added: 26 Jun 2022 18:20 GMT   

On the dole in north London
When I worked at the dole office in Medina Road in the 1980s, "Archway" meant the social security offices which were in Archway Tower at the top of the Holloway Road. By all accounts it was a nightmare location for staff and claimants alike. This was when Margaret Thatcher’s government forced unemployment to rise to over 3 million (to keep wages down) and computerised records where still a thing of the future. Our job went from ensuring that unemployed people got the right sort and amount of benefits at the right time, to stopping as many people as possible from getting any sort of benefit at all. Britain changed irrevocably during this period and has never really recovered. We lost the "all in it together" frame of mind that had been born during the second world war and became the dog-eat-dog society where 1% have 95% of the wealth and many people can’t afford to feed their children. For me, the word Archway symbolises the land of lost content.

Reply
Comment
Jack Wilson   
Added: 21 Jun 2022 21:40 GMT   

Penfold Printers
I am seeking the location of Penfold Printers Offices in Dt Albans place - probably about 1870 or so

Reply
Lived here
   
Added: 19 Jun 2022 16:58 GMT   

Runcorn Place, W11
Runcorn place

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 30 May 2022 19:03 GMT   

The Three Magpies
Row of houses (centre) was on Heathrow Rd....Ben’s Cafe shack ( foreground ) and the Three Magpies pub (far right) were on the Bath Rd

Reply
Comment
Watts   
Added: 17 May 2022 20:29 GMT   

Baeethoven St School, also an Annex for Paddington College of FE.
In the early 70’s I took a two year science course at Paddington CFE. The science classes were held on weekday evenings at Beethoven Street school, overseen by chemistry teacher, Mr Tattershall.

Reply

   
Added: 25 Apr 2022 22:11 GMT   

Southover, N12
Everyone knows Central Woodside is the place to be. Ever since kdog moved from finchtown, Woodside has been thriving.

Reply
Born here
Bernard Miller   
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT   

My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Adam and Eve Tearooms The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.
Fairyland During the period leading up to and during the First World War, 92 Tottenham Court Road was the location of a shooting range called Fairyland.
Scala Theatre Scala Theatre was a theatre in London, sited on Charlotte Street, off Tottenham Court Road. The first theatre on the site opened in 1772, and was demolished in 1969, after being destroyed by fire.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Place, WC1H Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street.
Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent.
Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred.
Bedford Way, WC1H Bedford Way is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Brock Street, NW1 Brock Street was formerly called Henry Street.
Bromley Place, W1T Bromley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
BT Tower, W1W The BT Tower is a communications tower, previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower.
Burton Street, WC1H Burton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Byng Place, WC1E Byng Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Candover Street, W1W Candover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Capper Street, WC1E Capper Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Cartwright Gardens, WC1H Cartwright Gardens is a crescent-shaped park and street located in Bloomsbury.
Charlotte Mews, W1T Charlotte Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Street, W1T Charlotte Street was laid out in the mid 18th century on open fields.
Chenies Mews, WC1E Chenies Mews is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Chenies Street, WC1E Chenies Street takes its name from the Buckinghamshire village where since 1556 members of the Russell family have been buried.
Chitty Street, W1T Chitty Street runs between Charlotte Street and Whitfield Street.
Cleveland Street, W1T Cleveland Street is a location in London.
Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane.
Clipstone Mews, W1T Clipstone Mews is a road in the W1T postcode area
Clipstone Street, W1W Clipstone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Coach Road, W1T Coach Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Collingwood House, W1W Residential block
Colville Place, W1T Colville Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south.
Coram Street, WC1N Coram Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area.
Darwin Walk, WC1E Darwin Walk is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Drummond Street, NW1 Drummond Street was the original site of Euston Station.
Dukes Road, WC1H Dukes Road is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Endsleigh Gardens, WC1H Endsleigh Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Endsleigh Place, WC1H Endsleigh Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Endsleigh Street, WC1H Endsleigh Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Euston Centre, NW1 Euston Centre is a street in Camden Town.
Euston Road, NW1 Euston Road runs from Marylebone Road to King's Cross. The road is part of the London Inner Ring Road and forms part of the London congestion charge zone boundary.
Euston Road, W1T Euston Road is a road in the W1T postcode area
Euston Street, NW1 Euston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road.
First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Court, W1T Fitzroy Court is a road in the W1T postcode area
Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Square, W1T Fitzroy Square is one of the Georgian squares of London.
Fitzroy Street, W1T Fitzroy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Flaxman Terrace, WC1H Flaxman Terrace connects Burton Street with Cartwright Gardens.
Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Foundry Mews, NW1 Foundry Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Goodge Street, W1T Goodge Street was named after John Goodge a carpenter who along with his two nephews developed Crab Tree Fields to form Goodge Street in 1740.
Gordon Mansions, WC1E Gordon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury.
Gordon Street, WC1H Gordon Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Gower Court, WC1E Gower Court is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Gower Place, WC1E Gower Place runs from Gordon Street to Gower Street.
Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, WC1E Grafton Way was formerly Grafton Street.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanson Street, W1W Hanson Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Howland Street, W1T Howland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Huntley Street, WC1E Huntley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east.
Malet Place, WC1E Malet Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area.
Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Maple Street, W1T This is a street in the 92103 postcode area
Melton Street, NW1 Melton Street is a street in Camden Town.
Midford Place, W1T Midford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Montague Place, WC1E Montague Place was developed in the decade after 1800.
Mortimer Market, WC1E Mortimer Market is a road in the W1T postcode area
New Cavendish Street, W1W New Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
North Cloisters, WC1E North Cloisters is a road in the WC1E postcode area
North Crescent, WC1E North Crescent is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
North Gower Street, NW1 North Gower Street is a street in Camden Town.
Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Peabody Buildings, WC1N Peabody Buildings is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area.
Queen’s Yard, W1T Queen’s Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Regent’s Place, W1T Regent’s Place is a walkway, series of blocks and a residential quarter.
Ridgmount Gardens, WC1E Ridgmount Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ridgmount Street, WC1E Ridgmount Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Russell Court, WC1B Russell Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Russell Square House, WC1B Residential block
Russell Square, WC1B Russell Square is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Russell Square, WC1B Russell Square was laid out from 1800 by James Burton following the demolition of Bedford House, which originally stood on the site surrounded by gardens and fields.
Sandwich Street, WC1H Sandwich Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
South Cloisters, WC1H South Cloisters is a road in the WC1H postcode area
St. Georges Road, WC1H A street within the WC1H postcode
Stanhope House, W1T Stanhope House stood on the corner of Euston Road and Stanhope Street.
Stephenson Way, NW1 Stephenson Way is a street in Camden Town.
Store Street, WC1E Store Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Tavistock House North, WC1H Tavistock House North is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Tavistock House South, WC1H Tavistock House South is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Tavistock House, WC1H Residential block
Tavistock Square, WC1H Tavistock Square was built by property developer James Burton and the master builder Thomas Cubitt for Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford.
Taviton Street, WC1H Taviton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Thornhaugh Street, WC1B Thornhaugh Street is a street in London
Thornhaugh Street, WC1H Thornhaugh Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Tiger House, WC1H Tiger House is a block on Burton Street
Tolmers Square, NW1 Tolmers Square roughly covers the site of a reservoir of the New River Company.
Torrington Place, WC1E Torrington Place was developed by James Sim in partnership with his two sons.
Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25.
Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile.
Tottenham Mews, W1T Tottenham Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Tottenham Street, W1T Tottenham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Triton Square, NW1 Triton Square is a street in Camden Town.
University Street, WC1E University Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Upper Woborn Place, WC1H Upper Woborn Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Warren Court, NW1 Warren Court is a street in Camden Town.
Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner.
Whitfield Place, W1T Whitfield Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south.
William Road, NW1 William Road dates from 1799 or before.
Witley Court, WC1H Witley Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area.
Woburn Mews, WC1H Woburn Mews ran parallel between Woburn Place and Upper Bedford Place to the west of Woburn Place.
Woburn Place, WC1H Woburn Place is situated on the Bedford estate, running north from the east of Russell Square to the east of Tavistock Square.
Woburn Square, WC1H Woburn Square is just north of the centre of Bloomsbury.
Woburn Walk, WC1H Woburn Walk was also known as Woburn Buildings.
Woolf Mews, WC1H Woolf Mews is a road in the WC1H postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Adam and Eve Tearooms The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.
Bap and Pickle Smugglers Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Camden People’s Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
County Hotel Ground Floor Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Euston Tap This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fitzrovia Belle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Gallery Coffee Shop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
George Birkbeck Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Grafton Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jeremy Bentham This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
London Pub This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lord John Russell P.H. This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marlborough Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Northumberland Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince Of Wales Feathers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Reverend J W Simpson This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Simmons Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Spearmint Rhino This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tavistock Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bar at TCR This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bree Louise This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Carpenters Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The College Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Court This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fitzrovia This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hope This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The King & Queen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Lukin This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Place Theatre Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Slice Bar (Cupola House) This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Squares Tavern & Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Unity Cup This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Unknown as yet This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vault 139 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Bloomsbury

Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.

The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and ’wood for 100 pigs’. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.

The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi – the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.

At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond’s manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.

In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.

In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centrepiece.

Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.

The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais’s parents’ house on Gower Street in 1848.

The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre, a residential and shopping area.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
Transmission
TUM image id: 1509553463
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The British Library
TUM image id: 1482066417
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
BT Tower The Post Office Tower - now known as the BT Tower - opened in the Fitzrovia area of central London in 1965. The tower’s main structure was 177 metres high. A further section of aerial rigging brought the total height to 191m. It was the tallest building in the UK until London’s NatWest Tower opened in 1980.
Credit: Wiki Commons
Licence:


The Prince of Wales Theatre in 1903 shortly before its demolition for the building of the Scala Theatre in 1904.
Credit: Caroline Blomfield
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road London circa 1905
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The British Library
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Tottenham Court Road (1927)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Camden Town, from the Hampstead Road, Marylebone (1780) This shows the fields of Rhodes Farm. later to become the site of Euston station.
Credit: Old and New London: Volume 5 (1878)
Licence:


A 2500 pound German bomb, buried opposite University College Hospital, is about to be removed by Army sappers as people in the area are evacuated to a safe distance (1948) Metropolitan "C’ Division covered the West End. Note the ’on duty’ striped armbands and the black helmet plates (now silver). The bomb fell in 1941 near to the corner of Stanhope Street and Euston Road.
Credit: Creative Commons image from New Times Paris Bureau Collection
Licence:


Tottenham Court Road, W1T
Licence:


The March Of The Guards To Finchley - outside the Adam and Eve Tea Rooms.
Credit: William Hogarth
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Cow chained to a lamppost, Torrington Square
Credit: FB Group Londonist Urban Oddities/Clive P L Young
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy