Mortimer Street, W1W

Road in/near Fitzrovia

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51796 -0.13973, 51.517 -0.139) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Fitzrovia · W1W ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.

0
The street names of London are many, various and named after all sorts of people, objects and events.

Some names keep cropping up again and again though and we can sometimes blame the builders of the nineteenth century who required a lot of new names very quickly.

Many streets of London date from the nineteenth century. There was a surfeit of roads named Victoria or Albert - so many and so confusing for postal workers of the time that a massive renaming programme was undertaken in the last decade of the century.

Alma was a popular name with street builders of the late 1850s. Alma commemorates the Battle of the River Alma on 20 September 1854, the first engagement in the Crimean War.

Inkerman road names commemorate another Franco-British victory over the Russians in 1854.

Lord Raglan was Commander-in-Chief of the Crimean campaign and General Sir George Cathcart his second-in-command. These preceding four names were popular with Victorian builders all over Britain.

Much rarer are Willes roads which honour Lieutenant-General James Willes, Commander of the Royal Marines during the War.

Bedford Square, Avenue, Place and Way (Bloomsbury), Bedford Court, Street and Bedfordbury (Covent Garden) and Bedford Passage (off Charlotte Street) indicate the London possessions which the Russells of Bedford received in two stages, the first for merit in 1552 and the second by marriage in 1669. At the time the estates were unimportant orchard or pasture lands, yet they were to yield more profit to the later Dukes of Bedford than all the family's numerous country properties. The family names on more than seventy London streets continue to bear witness to three centuries of Bedford ownership.

Belgrave is a hamlet in Cheshire which the first Earl Grosvenor purchased in 1758. In 1784 he was created Viscount Belgrave, a title which his descendants, the Dukes of Westminster, still hold. When his son, Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster, decided to develop part of his Westminster lands in 1824, the names of Belgrave and other Cheshire and Flint properties were given to the streets and squares. Belgrave Square happening to be the focal point of the area, gave the name Belgravia to this select district. Belgrave Place and Upper and Lower Belgrave Street date from the same period. The Grosvenor estate in Pimlico was begun a few years later: Belgrave Road, Pimlico was built in about 1830.

In consequence of Belgravia's prosperity the name then became very fashionable, and propagated wildly in the outer suburbs until the London County Council intervened-a strange fate for a tiny village on the Welsh border. Belgrave Gardens, St John's Wood, was apparently named simply for this cachet of respectability.

John Berkeley was born about 1607, the youngest son of Sir Maurice Berkeley of Bruton in Somerset. He was a royalist commander during the Civil War, and after a victory at Stratton in Cornwall was created Baron Berkeley of Stratton. By a judicious marriage he added wealth to the title, and in 1664 bought a field fronting Piccadilly, as a site for a town mansion befitting his status.

A few years later Berkeley House was completed in spacious grounds on the site of the present Devonshire House, Piccadilly. John Evelyn the diarist described it as a 'sweete place', with 'by far the most noble gardens, courts, and accommodations, stately porticos, &c. anywhere about the towne'. But by the time Lord Berkeley died in 1678, land along Piccadilly was so valuable that his widow could not resist sacrificing two strips of garden on either side of Berkeley House to the builders; Berkeley Street and Stratton Street were the result.

Bloomsbury is the name given to the medieval manor which stretched from modern Euston Road to High Holborn, and west to east from Tottenham Court Road to Southampton Row. It is a corruption of Blemund's bury, the bury or manor house of William de Blemund, who bought the land in 1201.

In 1545 the Earl of Southampton (Southampton Row) acquired the manor, which his descendants, the Dukes of Bedford, still partly own today.

Broomsleigh Street (Hampstead) is typical of a class of street name that came to maturity in Victorian times and was the ancestor of all suburban Acacia Avenues, Linden Groves and Mead Roads. The street was built by the Land Building Investment & Cottage Improvement Company Ltd, one of the land companies whose proliferation in the 1850s and 60s revolutionised the pattern of street building and naming. This was the period which saw the beginning of Hampstead's urbanisation, when landowning families who had farmed their fields for generations, and had no knowledge of how to develop them, sold out to the land companies -a continuing trend which has left most modern suburban building land in the hands of giant contracting firms or local councils.

The new owners had no interest in preserving old associations on these estates. In some cases they would name a batch of streets after the directors of the company and their country homes, but this source was soon exhausted, especially when (as often happened) the company consisted of a solitary businessman. Their only aim in naming streets was to give an impression of genteel, vaguely rural, desirable residences.

Hence the number of countrified suffixes and prefixes found. 'Croft' is the most popular: Femcroft, Hollycroft, Rose­ croft, Greencroft and Lyncroft. Endings like 'wood', 'grove', 'bourne', 'hurst', 'leigh' 'ridge' and 'dale' are fruitful basic elements: Inglewood, Netherwood, Maygrove, Honeybourne, Goldhurst, Cotleigh, Broomsleigh, Loveridge, Briardale, Holmdale. 'Glens': Glenbrook, Glenloch, Glenilla, Glen­ more) are no guarantee of rocky vales.

Flower names come into the same class. Narcissus Road dates from 1877, and being also the name of a Greek mythological character led to the appearance of a subsidiary Pandora Road four years later.

When the companies wished to announce attractions more subtly, they relied on ruralistic associations like Ravenshaw Street and Rosemont Road), or names of pleasant villages and towns, usually in the West Country: this accounts for Glastonbury Street, Kemplay Road and Crediton Hill. Insipid but harmless names of this kind continue to spread with public acquiescence wherever English suburban development takes place.

Brunswick was a popular name with builders in the year 1795, when Princess Caroline of Brunswick came to England to marry her cousin the Prince of Wales, later George IV. But the marriage was probably the least successful in the history of British royalty. Prince George is said to have been horrified at the sight of his bride and Caroline reported that he spent the wedding night in a drunken stupor. He stayed with her only until their daughter, Princess Charlotte, was born. Caroline, spurned and humiliated, led a wild vagabond life on the continent which shocked all Europe until her death in 1821.

The Earls Cadogan have owned most of Chelsea for centuries. The connection began with their ancestor Sir Hans Sloane, President of the Royal Society and of the College of Physicians, whose library and collection formed the nucleus of the British Museum. His brother had settled in Chelsea, and when Sir Hans' success was established he decided to buy the Manor of Chelsea, in 1712. Having no sons, Sir Hans divided the manor between his two daughters and their heirs, and their family names are now scattered all over the parish.

In the   fifteenth   century   the manors of Notting Hill and Paddington belonged to the Lady Margaret, the mother of Henry of Richmond, head of the House of Lancaster, who ended the Wars of the Roses when he seized the throne as Henry VII in 1485. She was renowned for her graciousness and generosity, and is mainly remembered now for founding the Lady Margaret professorships at Oxford and  Cambridge Universities.

In her will she left the Notting Hill and  Paddington  estates  to  pay for these professorships - hence Oxford  and  Cambridge Squares  (Paddington) Oxford  and  Cambridge Gardens,  (Notting  Hill),  and  Lancaster Road,   (Notting   Hill).   The manors  were  held  by  Westminster Abbey  in  trust for  the  universities until   Lady   Margaret's   grandson Henry VIII, dissolved the abbey along with all  other English monasteries and seized the lands in 1543.

The district now known as Camden Town was a prebend, a manor  belonging to St Paul's Cathedral, where the income supported a prebendary  canon.  By  about  1670 John Jeffreys was farming the land on  behalf  of  the  Cathedral  and  in 1749 it passed to Charles Pratt, then a  struggling barrister, who  married Elizabeth Jeffreys of Brecknock Priory. Later Pratt  reached the highest possible honours in his career as a lawyer,     being     appointed      Lord Chancellor   in   1766  and   created Viscount   Bayham and Earl  Camden.

In 1790 Lord Camden came to an arrangement  with  the  prebendary, the   Reverend   Thomas   Randolph, to   start   developing   the   land.   A contract  was  drawn  up   with   a local     builder     called      Augustine Greenland - who was to profit well from the deal - and streets were begun. Hence   Camden   Gardens,   High Street, Park Road, Road, Square and Street;  Jeffreys  Street;  Prebend Place; Brecknock Road; Pratt Street; Baybam Street; Randolph Street; Greenland Place, Road and Street; Marquis Road; Georgiana Street; Caroline now Carol Street; Murray Street;  and  Rochester Place,  Road and Square.

Carlton Gardens and Carlton House  Terrace occupy  the  site  of  Carlton  House, built in 1709 for Lord Carlton. Unlike most noble town houses, it kept its name despite changes of ownership. The Prince of Wales lived there, and spent so much money renovating it after  he was made Regent  in 1811 that  'Carlton' became a byword for spendthrift  luxury. But in 1826 he tired of it, the house was demolished, and these terraces were built. The  name  remained  popular  for the rest of the century with builders and  publicans who wished to imply an   ambiance  of  elegance.  Carlton Hill,  St  John's  Wood,  Carlton Vale, Paddington,  and  Carlton (now Carltoun) Street, Kentish Town, date from the 1840s and 1850s, and there are still half a dozen Carlton pubs in London.

The  ancient family  of Cavendish split into two branches in the seventeenth century: One branch of the family was created Dukes of Devonshire, The other  branch produced the Dukes of Newcastle, whose eventual heiress, Lady Margaret Cavendish, married the owner of Marylebone Manor. Her daughter Henrietta married Edward Harley in 1713, and four years later he began Cavendish Square. Cavendish Place and Old and New Cavendish Streets soon followed. Henrietta's descendant, the 4th Duke of Port­land, purchased a plot of land St John's Wood in 1827, and built on it Cavendish Close and Cavendish Avenue.

Clifton Gardens, Place, Road and  Villas  (Paddington),  Clifton Hill (St John's  Wood), and  Clifton (now Cliff) Road and Villas (Camden Town), all dating  from  the mid­ nineteenth   century,   are  named after the fashionable  district of  Bristol  where  Brunei's   Clifton Suspension Bridge, an amazing feat of  engineering,   was   constructed 1832-1864.

Conduits,  pipes and  channels carrying water from fresh springs outside  London   into   the   densely populated  areas,  were vital  to  the pre-Water  Board   Londoner.   The Thames   and    its   tributaries    had become inadequate  or  polluted  by the thirteenth century and water had to   be   conveyed   artificially  from further afield. With the exception of the   New   River the ancient conduits are all disused, but several of them are perpetuated  in street names. White Conduit Street  and Lamb's Conduit Street  are notable examples.

Cubitt Street  (near Gray's Inn Road) adjoined the extensive premises of Messrs Cubitt's,  the  building  com­pany, whose headquarters were here until 1930. The firm was founded by Thomas  Cubitt who built the surrounding streets. He developed much of Bloomsbury for the Duke of Bedford, and spread his houses, many of them still standing, across  North  London from  Camden Town to Stoke  Newington. In 1825 he embarked on his greatest achievement, draining the remote and desolate swamps  which were to  become Belgravia  and  Pimlico. Cubitt Town is also named after the family.

Denmark Street (St Giles) was formed across the site of St Giles' Leper Hospital soon after 1683, the year Princess (later Queen) Anne married dull Prince George of Denmark. 'I have tried him drunk and I have tried him sober, but there is nothing in him', sighed the Merry Monarch, his uncle by marriage. Denmark was the father of Anne's 17 children, who all died in infancy. Denmark Street is better known by its nickname Tin Pan Alley, the centre of the music publishing business.

About 1855, the Devonshire name was very popular by association with the dukedom: at  that  time there were no less than nine Devonshire Terraces in London as  well as  nine  Devonshire  Streets and  many other variations  of  the  same name.

Many Duke Streets are named in honour of James Duke of York, later James II.

Names   suffixed  with End  in  and  around  London  date from  the  days  when  villages  now absorbed  in  the  suburbs   were  so small   and   compact   that    houses even   a   short   distance   from   the main  cluster  of  buildings  were isolated outposts. Town's Ends and even  World's   Ends - one  of   the latter  survives in Chelsea - were common. In Kensington South End, South End Row and South End Gardens,  only  a  few  hundred yards from the village centre at Kensington High Street, demark the southern extremity of the settlement in the eighteenth century. In Hampstead too South End Green, so close to  Hampstead  Village, is a separate hamlet on Rocque's map of 1745.  Hampstead also boasted two other far-flung communities on the opposite boundaries of the parish, at West End (surviving in West End Lane) and North End.

George, Frederick, Henry, James and John were very common street names, sometimes named after royalty but more often after builders. In Stepney alone there were once five separate places called George Street and ten called John Street.

The Latin gleba meant 'earth' or 'soil', and in English the name Glebe was extended to 'ground belonging to a parish priest'. Glebe names tend to adjoin a church.

The prefix Great does not usually imply particular grandeur or importance  in  a street. It generally indicated  the  presence of a  corresponding Little street in  the neighbourbood,   although  the  latter  has disappeared   or   been  renamed   in many  cases. In  the  late  1930s the London  County  Council systematically   attempted    to   eliminate   all prefixed  names  from   the  London Directory, and hundreds of suburban 'Greats' were simply dropped.

The  story  of the  immensely  valuable  Grosvenor family estates in London starts  with Hugh Audley, who was born in 1577. He started his career as a law student of humble origin, but before long revealed a talent for making the utmost  profit from  all  his  transactions.  He  accumulated  vast estates all  over  the country,  including  one manor  which  a  lesser  businessman would have dismissed as worthless. This was Ebury, an extensive flat rural holding,  its fields inundated  by the Thames,  its  few  inhabitants   shepherds  and  tenant  farmers,  its  lanes infested  with  thieves and  its  main produce  osiers. It is now  Mayfair, Belgravia  and  Pimlico the most valuable single estate in Britain.

A Grove is defined as a small wood or group of trees. Most Groves in central London indicate the proximity once of a such vegetation.

Holland House in Holland Park was built by Sir Walter Cope, Lord of the Manor of Kensington  in 1605. Cope and his wife Dorothy Grenville had an only child, a daughter Isabel, who married Henry Rich, Earl Holland. Their son Robert was later the Earl of Warwick. Local names associated with the fortunes of the house and its ownership are: Holland Park, Park Avenue, Park Gardens, Park Road, Gardens, Place, Road, Street, Villas Road and Walk; Cope Place; Grenville Place; Warwick Gardens and Road; Addison Crescent, Gardens, Place and Road; Edwardes Place and Square; Radnor Terrace; Pembroke Gardens, Gardens Close, Place, Road, Square, Villas and Walk;Longridge and Marloes Roads; Nevern Place, Road and Square; Pennant Mews; Penywern Road; Philbeach Gardens; Templeton Place; Trebovir Road; Napier Place and Road; Russell Gardens and Road; Strangways Terrace; Ilchester Place; Woodford Square; Abbotsbury Close and Road, and Melbury Court and Road.

King Street has always been a very popular street name, with its implications of patriotism and regality. It was also a convenient label  for streets with no official name, and almost every medieval City thorough­ fare was known as Via Regia (King's Way), Vicus Regius (King's Lane) or 'ye kinges hie way' at some stage in its history.  There  are  still three King  Streets in  central  London.

The  earliest street  to honour the 1st Duke of Marlborough was Great Marlborough Street, begun in 1704, the year of his victory at Blenheim. The  Duke  died  in  1722,  but  he and  his  battles  are  found  in  street names all over London, even in the newest suburbs. In  the London  suburbs  of Chiswick, Harrow,  Croydon,  Sutton  and  Leytonstone,  as  well as in  countless  provincial towns, Blenheims are situated close to Marlboroughs.

Blenheim and royalty apart, during the First World War, every street but one in London with a Germanic name was changed. Only Weimar Street in Wandsworth escaped this process.

Mount Pleasant (Clerkenwell) was once a very pleasant country path, winding down into the valley of the River Fleet and  mounting again on the other bank. The name 'Mount  Pleasant' is common around London, and where it occurs in built-up areas the sense is usually ironical. The Vale of Health, Hampstead is another ironic example.

Prince and Princes Streets have always abounded in London, as in other towns, either as a sign of patriotism or to lend a noble tone to the street. Most Prince Streets are genuinely named in honour of royalty. Allegiance to the new House of Hanover was proclaimed in the name of Princes Street off Hanover Square. The birth of the future Edward VII in 1841 had predictable results wherever new roads were being formed on the suburban outskirts: for instance Prince of Wales Road and Crescent, biting through the fields of Kentish Town; Princes, now Princedale, Road and Princes Place, along with the Prince of Wales pub, laid out in 1841 in North Kensington ; Princes Square, Bayswater; and the Prince of Wales Gate into Hyde Park which led in turn to Princes Gate and Princes Gardens. Prince of Wales Terrace, Kensington, dates from 1862, the year Edward came of age and entered into public life.

Queens, like Princes and Kings, have long been subjects for street names, whether from patriotic fervour, a spirit of chivalry, or simply a desire to ennoble an undistinguished suburban street. The oldest in London is Queen Street in the City, formed after the Great Fire of 1666 at the same time as King Street, and diplomatically named in compliment to Charles II's unpopular Catholic consort, Catherine of Braganza.

The source of nearly all urban York  Streets  was  the  'Grand   Old Duke  of York',  destined to  be immortalized  among  children  as  the inefficient leader of pointless military exercises.  He  was  HRH  Frederick, eldest brother  of the  Prince Regent and also the Regent's  heir apparent for  most  of his life. In 1793 he was made Commander of the   English   Forces   fighting   the French in the Netherlands, where he encountered  disastrous  defeats,  retreats   and  scandal.   He  was  tried (though acquitted) with his notorious mistress  Mary   Anne   Clarke,   for running the Army at a vast profit by selIing commissions  in  return   for bribes. Most of the York Streets inspired by him have since been renamed to avoid confusion.

Main source: Gillian Bebbington's Street Names of London


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 412 completed street histories and 47088 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply
Born here
www.violettrefusis.com   
Added: 17 Feb 2021 15:05 GMT   

Birth place
Violet Trefusis, writer, cosmopolitan intellectual and patron of the Arts was born at 2 Wilton Crescent SW1X.

Source: www.violettrefusis.com

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply
Comment
rnorman345@aol.com   
Added: 6 Jul 2021 05:38 GMT   

Wren Road in the 1950s and 60s
Living in Grove Lane I knew Wren Road; my grandfather’s bank, Lloyds, was on the corner; the Scout District had their office in the Congregational Church and the entrance to the back of the Police station with the stables and horses was off it. Now very changed - smile.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Lived here
Kim Johnson   
Added: 24 Jun 2021 19:17 GMT   

Limehouse Causeway (1908)
My great grandparents were the first to live in 15 Tomlins Terrace, then my grandparents and parents after marriage. I spent the first two years of my life there. My nan and her family lived at number 13 Tomlins Terrace. My maternal grandmother lived in Maroon house, Blount Street with my uncle. Nan, my mum and her brothers were bombed out three times during the war.

Reply
Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Adam and Eve Inn The Adam and Eve was an inn on Oxford Street.
All Souls Church All Souls Church is an evangelical Anglican church situated at the north end of Regent Street.
Oxford Circus Oxford Circus, designed by John Nash in 1811.
Scala Theatre Scala Theatre was a theatre in London, sited on Charlotte Street, off Tottenham Court Road. The first theatre on the site opened in 1772, and was demolished in 1969, after being destroyed by fire.

NEARBY STREETS
Adam and Eve Court, W1D The court was named for the nearby Adam and Eve tavern.
Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent.
Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred.
All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street.
Argyll Street, W1F Argyll Street was named after John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll, owner of the land in the 18th century.
Bateman Street, W1D Bateman Street was named for Sir James Bateman, local landowner and Lord Mayor of London in the 1670s.
Bayley Street, WC1B Bayley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1B postal area.
Berners Mews, W1T Berners Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Place, W1T Berners Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Berners Street, W1D William Berners completed building in 1763 what is today Berners Street.
Berners Street, W1T Berners Street runs from the junction of Oxford Street and Wardour Street to join up with Mortimer Street and the former Middlesex Hospital.
Berwick Road, W1F Berwick Road is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Berwick Street, W1F Berwick Street commemorates the Duke of Berwick, an illegitimate son of James II.
Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Blenheim Street, W1S Blenheim Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area.
Bolsover Street, W1W Bolsover Street - home to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital since 1907.
Bourlet Close, W1W Bourlet Close is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Bromley Place, W1T Bromley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Bryanston Square, W1G Bryanston Square was built as part of the Portman Estate between 1810 and 1815.
BT Tower, W1T The BT Tower is a communications tower, previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower.
Bywell Place, W1W Bywell Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Candover Street, W1W Candover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Carlisle Street, W1D Carlisle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Carlisle Walk, W1D Carlisle Walk is a road in the E8 postcode area
Cavendish Place, W1G Cavendish Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Cavendish Square, W1G Cavendish Square was laid out in 1717–18 at the beginning of the transformation of Harley family lands in Marylebone.
Cavendish Street, W1G Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Chandos Street, W1G Chandos Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Chapone Place, W1D Chapone Place is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Charlotte Mews, W1T Charlotte Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Place, W1T Charlotte Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Charlotte Street, W1T Charlotte Street was laid out in the mid 18th century on open fields.
Chenies Street, WC1E Chenies Street takes its name from the Buckinghamshire village where since 1556 members of the Russell family have been buried.
Chitty Street, W1T Chitty Street runs between Charlotte Street and Whitfield Street.
Cleveland Street, W1T Cleveland Street is a location in London.
Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane.
Clipstone Street, W1W Clipstone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Collingwood House, W1W Residential block
Colville Place, W1T Colville Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
D’Arblay Street, W1F D’Arblay Street is a location in London.
De Walden Court, W1W De Walden Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Dean Street, W1D Dean Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Dean’s Mews, W1G This is a street in the W1G postcode area
Deans Mews, W1G Deans Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Dering Street, W1S Dering Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area.
Devonshire Close, W1G Devonshire Close is a road in the W1G postcode area
Duchess Mews, W1B Duchess Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Duchess Street, W1B Duchess Street is a road in the W1B postcode area
Duchess Street, W1W Duchess Street runs from Mansfield Street to Hallam Street, across Portland Place.
East Street, W1T East Street is one of the streets in the Twickenham postal district.
Eastcastle Street, W1D Eastcastle Street was originally called Castle Street East.
Eastcastle Street, W1T The portion of Eastcastle Street to the east of Wells Street originally belonged to the Berners Estate.
Evelyn Yard, W1T Evelyn Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Flaxman Court, W1F Flaxman Court is a road in the W1F postcode area
Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Goodge Street, W1T Goodge Street was named after John Goodge a carpenter who along with his two nephews developed Crab Tree Fields to form Goodge Street in 1740.
Gosfield Street, W1W Gosfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Great Castle Street, W1B Great Castle Street was begun in 1722.
Great Castle Street, W1W Great Castle Street was one of the main streets of the Harley Estate.
Great Chapel Street, W1D Great Chapel Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Great Marlborough Street, W1B Great Marlborough Street runs east of Regent Street past Carnaby Street towards Noel Street.
Great Marlborough Street, W1F Great Marlborough Street was named after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
Great Titchfield Street, W1W Great Titchfield Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Gresse Street, W1T Gresse Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hallam Street, W1W Hallam Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanson Street, W1W Hanson Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Hanway Place, W1T Hanway Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Hanway Street, W1D Hanway Street was named after Major John Hanway.
Hanway Street, W1T Hanway Street is a location in London.
Harcourt House, W1G Residential block
Harewood Place, W1C Harewood Place is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area.
Harley Place, W1G Harley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767.
Harmont House, W1G Residential block
Henrietta Place, W1G Henrietta Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Hills Place, W1F Hills Place is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Hollen Street, W1F Hollen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Holles Street, W1C Holles Street runs north from Oxford Street, on the east side of the John Lewis store.
Howland Street, W1T Howland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
John Prince’s Street, W1G This is a street in the W1G postcode area
John Princes Street, W1G John Princes Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Kent House, W1B Residential block
Langham House, W1B Residential block
Langham Place, W1B Langham Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Langham Street, W1W Langham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Portland Street, W1W Little Portland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchen Street, W1W Little Titchen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Little Titchfield Street, W1W Little Titchfield Street is a road in the W1W postcode area
Livonia Street, W1F Livonia Street was originally Bentinck Street, family name of owner the Duke of Portland.
Mansfield Street, W1G Mansfield Street connects New Cavendish Street and Queen Anne Street.
Margaret Court, W1W Margaret Court is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Margaret Street, W1B Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Margaret Street, W1G Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Margaret Street, W1W Margaret Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Market Place, W1W Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Marylebone Passage, W1W Marylebone Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Buildings, W1W Middleton Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Middleton Place, W1W Middleton Place is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Milford House, W1G Residential block
Morley House, W1W Residential block
Mortimer Street, W1T Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Mortimer Street, W1T A street within the W1W postcode
Mortimer Street, W1W Mortimer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Nassau Street, W1W Nassau Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
New Cavendish Street, W1B New Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1 postal area.
New Cavendish Street, W1W New Cavendish Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Newman Passage, W1T Newman Passage is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Newman Street, W1T Newman Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Noel Street, W1F Noel Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
North Crescent, WC1E North Crescent is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Old Cavendish Street, W1 Old Cavendish Street is a road in the W1 postcode area
Oxford Circus Avenue, W1F Oxford Circus Avenue exists on a lot of London maps but doesn’t exist.
Oxford Circus, W1B Oxford Circus was originally called Regent Circus.
Oxford Street, W1C This is a street in the W1A postcode area
Oxford Street, W1D This is a street in the W1D postcode area
Oxford Street, W1D This is a street in the W1F postcode area
Palladium House, W1B Palladium House is a grade II listed (in 1981) Art Deco office building located on the corner of Great Marlborough Street and Argyll Street.
Percy Street, WC1B Percy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Poland Street, W1D Poland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Poland Street, W1F Poland Street is a location in London.
Portland Mews, W1F Portland Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Portland Place, W1B Portland Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Portland Place, W1B This is a street in the W1A postcode area
Princes Street, W1B Princes Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Princess House, W1D Residential block
Quadrant Arcade, W1B Quadrant Arcade is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Queen Anne Mews, W1G Queen Anne Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Ramillies Place, W1F Ramillies Place is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Ramillies Street, W1F Ramillies Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Rathbone Place, W1T Rathbone Place honours Captain Rathbone who was the builder of the road and properties thereon from 1718 onwards.
Rathbone Square, W1T Rathbone Square is a location in London.
Rathbone Street, W1T Rathbone Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Richmond Buildings, W1D Richmond Buildings is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Ridgmount Gardens, WC1E Ridgmount Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards.
Royalty Mews, W1D Royalty Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
Salt Yard, W1T A street within the W1T postcode
Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Sheraton Street, W1D Sheraton Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area.
Soho Place, Soho Place lies within the postcode.
Soho Square, W1D In its early years, Soho Square was one of the most fashionable places to live in London.
Soho Street, W1D Soho Street is one of the streets of London in the W1D postal area.
St Anne’s Court, W1F St Anne’s Court is an alleyway that connects Dean Street and Wardour Street.
Stephen Mews, W1T Stephen Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Stephen Street, W1T Stephen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Swallow Place, W1B Swallow Place is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Tenterden Street, W1S Tenterden Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area.
Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile.
Tottenham Mews, W1T Tottenham Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Tottenham Street, W1T Tottenham Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Townsend House, W1D Residential block
Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street.
Vere Street, W1G Vere Street is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Wardour Mews, W1F Wardour Mews is a cul-de-sac off of Portland Street.
Wardour Street, W1F Wardour Street is a street that runs north from Leicester Square, through Chinatown, across Shaftesbury Avenue to Oxford Street.
Wells Mews, W1W Wells Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Wells Street, W1D Wells Street - ’Welses Lane’ - is first recorded in 1692.
Weymouth Mews, W1G Weymouth Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area.
Weymouth Street, W1B Weymouth Street is a road in the W1B postcode area
Weymouth Street, W1G Weymouth Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Wigmore Place, W1G A street within the postcode
Wigmore Place, W1U Wigmore Place is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area.
Windmill Street, W1T Windmill Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Winsley Street, W1D Winsley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Winsley Street, W1D Winsley Street is a road in the W1D postcode area
Woodstock Street, W1S Woodstock Street is one of the streets of London in the W1C postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
Adam And Eve This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Adam and Eve Inn The Adam and Eve was an inn on Oxford Street.
Argyll Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bonds This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bourne & Hollingsworth This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Bricklayers Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Byron Hamburgers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Coach And Horses The Coach and Horses pub has been on Great Marlborough Street since the mid-18th century.
Cock Tavern The Cock Tavern is on Great Portland Street.
Crown & Sceptre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Dog and Duck The Dog and Duck is on the corner of Frith Street and Bateman Street.
Dover Castle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Duke Of York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Duke Of York This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fitzroy Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Green Man This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Green Man This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Horse & Groom This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jack Horner This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Kings Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Lucky Pig This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Market Place Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marlborough Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marquis Of Granby This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Nellie Dean This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Newman Arms The Newman Arms has been a Fitzrovia fixture for centuries.
Nordic Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
One Tun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Reverend J W Simpson This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Rising Sun This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Spread Eagle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Stag’s Head This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Blue Post This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Carpenters Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Champion This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The College Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Finery This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Fitzrovia This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The George This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Hope This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The King & Queen This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Kings Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The London Cocktail Club This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Phoenix This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Ship This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Slice Bar (Cupola House) This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Toucan This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Wheatsheaf This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Wimpole This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Tower Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Troy Club This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vinyl Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Yorkshire Grey This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Fitzrovia

Fitzrovia is the area lying to the west of Tottenham Court Road.




LOCAL PHOTOS
BT Tower
TUM image id: 1481989234
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Transmission
TUM image id: 1509553463
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Leicester Square (1880)
TUM image id: 1576513252
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road, W1T
TUM image id: 1466596673
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Bilingual Wardour Street
TUM image id: 1526420734
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
BT Tower
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Prince of Wales Theatre in 1903 shortly before its demolition for the building of the Scala Theatre in 1904.
Credit: Caroline Blomfield
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road London circa 1905
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Queen’s Theatre in the West End (2011), then showing the musical "Les Misérables"
Credit: Andreas Praefcke
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Musicians waiting for work on Archer Street.
Credit: Musicians Union
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

10 Gower Street, Bloomsbury
Credit: Spudgun67
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road, W1T
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Wells Street, W1
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Walker’s Court stretching away from the photographer.
Credit: The Underground Map
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Kemp’s Court is a small side street of Berwick Street Market and where a line of stalls stretch down both sides of the road
Credit: GoArt/The Underground Map
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page